Sign in to follow this  
Jayski

Getting low FPS

Hey,

I have an issue regarding my FPS and was wondering if I can get some Ideas on what to do,

I understand arma is a very CPU intensive game and some servers affect FPS,

Most servers I play on I average 20fps and thats away from cities, around elektra and cherno its around 13-17, When coming face to face with someone its a loss and can really spoil your gameplay, I have played on my brothers desktop which has a better graphics card and his computer gets around 25 even in cities. Getting to the point I would like to know how I can improve my fps without spending much, my system specs are this:

CPU: Intel core 2 quad q9400 @ 2.66GHz   2.67GHz

GPU: Gtx 260 SO  (before this I had a 9800gt which had lower fps)

Operating system: vista ultimate 64 bit

RAM: 4095mb

Any suggestions on what to do feel free to tell me, screenshot of my ingame settings are in the attachment

post-169247-0-74899600-1378046626_thumb.

Well, the 260 is a pretty weak card. I'd suggest you upgrade to a better card. Current gen AMD cards are at the lowest prices yet, you can get a 7850 for 140-150 dollars and a 7870 for 180. I'd suggest you look into a upgrade.

Ok yeah sure, so about £100, any known differences between nvidea and AMD? and is my processor okay for it?

Turn antialiasing to disabled instead of low... That will get you a large fps boost until you can get a better card.

Disable shadows and AA and set object detail to 'very low', that should buy you a few more FPS. Also, set video memory to 'default'.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 1

Sure, I have to ask but is my processor good enough to run dayz? its a quad core so I dont see there being a problem and should i buy a corsair vengeance so i can get 8gb ram?

Disable shadows and AA and set object detail to 'very low', that should buy you a few more FPS. Also, set video memory to 'default'.

mzzzzzzzZZZzzzly saying exactly what i said :3 even though you said more xD

Sure, I have to ask but is my processor good enough to run dayz? its a quad core so I dont see there being a problem and should i buy a corsair vengeance so i can get 8gb ram?

theres never a problem with having 8gb ram...

It is a quad-core, but it's pretty old. It's good enough to run ArmA 2 and DayZ mod on 'normal' settings if you upgrade your graphics card.

ArmA 2 uses a maximum of 2Gb RAM, which still leaves you 2Gb for your OS/background operations, so it's not really worth adding more IMO.

ok cheers guys, I believe I have got a valid answer and my question has been answered, I will look into getting a better graphics card and eventually a processor but main priority is the video card, thanks again :)

Turn down your resolution. It might be but ugly but it puts huge strain on the CPU and GPU. And turn off anti aliasing. Even I can't get good fps running on my rig. 4770k 4.5ghz and gtx 760 on full hd so i have to turn it down.

Edited by monoking