Dexterr

I have a presale question.

I just ordered all the components for my new computer, and I've wanted to play DayZ for around 6 months now, so I'm pretty excited that I'll be able to. The thing is, buying this computer has set me back a lot of money (I'm 18 in a few months and just lost my job) so my dilemma is whether I should buy the £17 pairing of Arma 2 and OA, or wait for 3+ months (or however long it'll take) for the standalone.

Thanks.

I'd definitely suggest getting the DayZ MOD if you have money to spare, if not I'd just wait it out myself, but also keep in mind that DayZ SA & MOD are now two separate projects and will be different from each other.

• Like 3

That purely depends on how much you want to play.

If you want to save a few bucks you can play DayZ with ArmA 2: Free and Operation Arrowhead, but you'll be playing with the low res textures from ArmA 2: Free.

6I8po3l.jpg

Kay, this is not on topic, but still: IF YOU LOST YOUR JOB DON'T BUY A FUCKING PC AND/OR GAME!!!!! I whish that they'd ban people like you from social security / services. Get a job. THEN a PC/game. How is this not comon sense?!?

To answer the question: When you get a job and the SA is not out yet, buy the arma package & get the addon, you will get a better idea about Dayz, and what it's all about, that is if the rampant KoS doesn't turn you off too much. Use Dayz commander, it offers many other dayz spinoffs, with many great ideas and different maps, vehicles & weapons.

• Like 1

I'd get Arma 2. The standalone doesn't have a set date, and who knows how bare-bones it'll be in the beginning. Also Arma 2 has a lot of DayZ maps/mods. 

If you want to play it, yes. You're 18, jobs aren't that hard to get, so I imagine you can make up $30 in 3 months.

Kay, this is not on topic, but still: IF YOU LOST YOUR JOB DON'T BUY A FUCKING PC AND/OR GAME!!!!! I whish that they'd ban people like you from social security / services. Get a job. THEN a PC/game. How is this not comon sense?!?

To answer the question: When you get a job and the SA is not out yet, buy the arma package & get the addon, you will get a better idea about Dayz, and what it's all about, that is if the rampant KoS doesn't turn you off too much. Use Dayz commander, it offers many other dayz spinoffs, with many great ideas and different maps, vehicles & weapons.

What the hell is he supposed to do when he's not working? Isn't that what video games are for?

• Like 2

Okay...

So I'm going to start by saying DayZ and normal ArmA are very different experiences.

That being said:

I'd suggest buying ArmA 3 and learning A3's gameplay mechanics to be better prepared for DayZ SA's (the SA engine will be closer in function to ArmA 3's than 2's). It's fun (if you play with a crap ton of mods, like me), and it has like 3 different zombie mods (2017, DZA3, Dynamic Zbox).

If you're only interested in zombies and DayZ, however, sorry mate.
But if you want to see what ArmA 3 looked like about 2 million updates ago, i've still got a ArmA 3 alpha key. I'm not sure if I can share it, though; it did expire like two months ago.

What the hell is he supposed to do when he's not working?

Looking for a job?

No but in all seriousness, I agree; buying a PC game isn't a horrible waste of money. It's not like he's dropping the $60-whatever it takes for a console game.

Edited by Applejaxc
  • Like 2

That was tongue in cheek, but you cannot look for work 24/7 and you still need diversion in your live, so why not DayZ? You can make $30 collecting cans in the ditch if you need to.

What the hell is he supposed to do when he's not working? Isn't that what video games are for?

Well of course he can play, if he feels like it. IF he already has a rig all set up. "Hurr Durr, I just lost my job, leaz buy a $500 or $600 PC" <- Problem. I still think he should do something else, because if your future employer asks you what you did the last few weeks/months, saying "I played videogames" isn't a good comeback.

Be assured though, if no social services financed by my taxes were available for him, I wouldn't care at all.

my dilemma is whether I should buy the £17 pairing of Arma 2 and OA, or wait for 3+ months (or however long it'll take) for the standalone.

I'd suggest buying ArmAII & OA. Here's why:-

- ArmAII is an incredible game

- DayZ Mod has an outrageous range of sub-mods and maps.

- DayZ Standalone will be limited in features at the time of release. There's no harm in waiting until the Beta/Retail stages of the development; and you'll probably appreciate it more at those points anyway (this will give you a long time to save up the money for buying SA)

- I wouldn't be suprised if there was limited keys released for the initial Alpha of DayZ Standalone. If that was the case, you'd have to wait until the next batch of keys was released if you missed out on the first batch.

get the mod, i'm probably going to invest a few days into the standalone when its released some time next year then jump back onto the mod. 

get the mod, i'm probably going to invest a few days into the standalone when its released some time next year then jump back onto the mod. 

Only cause you have aftermath, looks to be the best DayZ mod there will ever be lol.

If I may add something, you don't have to spend $30 on ARMA 2:CO. You can just keep an eye out for sales on at least 4-5 different game selling websites and save some cash. Personally I got it for $12.45 from gog.com a couple of months ago. You can use isthereanydeal.com for finding said sales easily without having to check each gamestore daily.

Edited by h3l1x

Steam has some pretty good sales fairly often.  A few weeks back you could buy the entire ARMA II collection for something like $15 if I remember correctly.  Keep an eye out there.  

Well of course he can play, if he feels like it. IF he already has a rig all set up. "Hurr Durr, I just lost my job, leaz buy a $500 or $600 PC" <- Problem. I still think he should do something else, because if your future employer asks you what you did the last few weeks/months, saying "I played videogames" isn't a good comeback.

Be assured though, if no social services financed by my taxes were available for him, I wouldn't care at all.

Damn. People say the USA has an overly conservative social security system, but here you are, paying for this guy's unemployment despite the fact that he's in Britain (£), you are (I am assuming) in the US ($)..... No wonder Obama gets so much stick for being too liberal.

Edited by kander
  • Like 5

I got it four days ago, was thinking about it like you. Was thinking "what if I waste my money?". Well you won't.

It's the best gaming experience, that I have ever had. Get it now. It's £17 mate, do you think that's worth 10000000 + hours of gameplay?

I do.

• Like 1

Damn. People say the USA has an overly conservative social security system, but here you are, paying for this guy's unemployment despite the fact that he's in Britain (£), you are (I am assuming) in the US ($)..... No wonder Obama gets so much stick for being too liberal.

loled hard. get some beans.

Edited by h3l1x
  • Like 2

loled hard. get some beans.

+1 lost it

Buy the mod, bypassing the mod for the SA is a pointless exercise, considering the content additions not in the game on release.

Arma 2 in itself is more than just DayZ, a lot more. A purchase worth having!

Like rocket said, wait for the SA, don't just buy it for the sake of it!

Jesus Christ that first bit is aggressive, I'm only 17 and I've been working so I could buy the PC.. your advice was good though so thanks for that at least haha.

LOLOLOLOL..... Anti-Ignorance ftw. Have some beans.

Let me explain....

o6kajc.png

Everything is going to be okay.

• Like 3

I have it in Steam as a Gift. Got any games on steam you can gift? Let me know what you got and see if im interested :D