GoldenPSP

Understanding Inventory quirks

Hey everyone.  Being relatively new I have been learning a lot about the quirks of this mod. One thing however has me a bit confused so I came here to get some tips to avoid future pitfalls.

I understand that trying to put a weapon in a pack without sufficient space will eat it.  I ran into an issue the other day that i did not expect.

Here was the situation.  i had my M4 equipped, with 5 magazines in my main equipment location.  I had 2 free slots in my main equipment location as well.

My pack had 11 free slots.  I wanted to move my M4 into my pack in order to pick up another weapon I had found.  i expected when I moved it, it would move my gun, and them it would move one magazine (since there was one additional slot on my pack) and leave the other 4 magazines where they were.  Instead it tried to move all 5 magazines, and since there wasn't space I ended up losing 4.

What would have been a better way to deal with this so I don't lose items?.  I am guessing one option would have been to shuffle some items around so that i would have moved all 5 magazines into the pack first, and them move the gun.  But this was a time sensitive situation so i was trying to avoid wasting unnecessary time.

Shuffling is the way to go. If i am going in somewhere like the barracks or a heli wreck raid on a full pop server i will stash unwanted items behind a tree or wherever then go in with the minimum needed to do the job in case of death. Morph, gun, couple of mags and some food for some fast needed blood. You can always run back and get your dropped gear if you die that way :) ... you will get pretty quick at shuffling shit around around in the mod :) 

• Like 1

From experience, it seems that when you move something directly to your pack (i.e drag your M4 to your pack) it moves the ammo as well. But if you move something out of your pack (i.e. taking your M24 out first) will automatically move you current weapon (in this case your M4) back into your pack, without moving the ammo.

It's kind of hard to explain in detail, so

tl;dr - don't move into your backpack first, move out first. :)

• Like 1

^ Missed that :) ...always backpack to front with guns. If the backpack does eat a gun or something else...scour the area in a circle about 5 or so metres..the item will get dumped on the ground. mostly.

From experience, it seems that when you move something directly to your pack (i.e drag your M4 to your pack) it moves the ammo as well. But if you move something out of your pack (i.e. taking your M24 out first) will automatically move you current weapon (in this case your M4) back into your pack, without moving the ammo.

It's kind of hard to explain in detail, so

tl;dr - don't move into your backpack first, move out first. :)

I understand.  I don't know that would have worked in this case.  In this case I wasn't trying to swap a weapon between my pack and main.  I was trying to put my only weapon in my pack to then pick up a new one.  Although in hind sight i could have picked up the weapon off the ground directly into my pack and then swapped them with this method.

^ Missed that :) ...always backpack to front with guns. If the backpack does eat a gun or something else...scour the area in a circle about 5 or so metres..the item will get dumped on the ground. mostly.

Yea mostly.  The barracks floor seems to have a habit of eating gear that drops though.  Lost my M4SD that way.

Yeah i always look for a bit of a clear area before i dump shit..outside and never in houses or such :) 

sometime make organise inventory is like play tetris :huh:

one mistake I make too much in first days was always put on floor when I try put in backpack  

I finish organise, feel like boss :huh:  then I see everywhere on floor my gear :o

in that case it was better to pick up the gun from the ground to the backpack and then switch it out..

Yea mostly.  The barracks floor seems to have a habit of eating gear that drops though.  Lost my M4SD that way.

QFT. Lost this way a full alice pack (morphines, antibiotics, cooked meat, boiled water canteens, dmr mags, etc).

in that case it was better to pick up the gun from the ground to the backpack and then switch it out..

Yea tried that last night.  Worked better.