Tikka (DayZ)

why do people have difficulties starting w/o weapons

1: It is unrealistic for a "survivor" to not have a weapon

2: New players have no idea where they are or where to get weapons.

how is it "unrealistic"?????!!!??

Think about it' date=' how the hell did your survivor get to the shore and survive up till you start playing as them if they had no weapon?

[/quote']

You can't be serious. Do you think that weapons grow in trees?

You sir are the one who must be joking. Weapons are everywhere.

Think about it' date=' how the hell did your survivor get to the shore and survive up till you start playing as them if they had no weapon?

[/quote']

You can't be serious. Do you think that weapons grow in trees?

Where did he even say that? It's logical that the person that survived this whole time would at least have a weapon. And I feel as though I can do some damage with a big stick so they could grow on trees!

I understand this game is going for realism but when you can't even punch or push it takes away from it all. And you can't attack with a hunting knife O.o

Right now, Zombies are a bit over sensitive and it's really random. It would probably be better once the Zombies are fixed. I feel a lot of people are struggling because of that, it's still just Alpha right now so hopefully these are problems that get fixed. :)

there is no such thing as sneaking anymore' date=' it does nothing

incredibly pointless game

[/quote']

Sneaking works fine in 1.7.1.5. In fact it's pretty easy again, just need to stay out of LOS. I'm finally using prone and crouch again effectively and you can hide behind environment now.

[/quote']

There's a 1000 possible scenarios that "could" have happened to any individual in the event of an outbreak. Trying to rationalize why you do or don't have starting weapons is difficult and no choice will satisify everyone. Instead I think they're simply testing different starting methods and seeing how they work. Since it's an Alpha getting all of this out of the way now is a good idea.

Previous to the "no starting weapon" change people played for a long time with starting gear and got a feel for it. Now it's time to try without gear for a little while and see how that feels.

I personally haven't had trouble getting around or surviving starting new, in 1.7.1.5. Seems comfortable now imo. But I know not everyone is agreeing on that.

since some people saying they have difficulties starting without a weapon i tried it myself. wasn't that hard' date=' sneaked into balota airfield, got akm, left the place and had a nice life...

so i wondered if they are maybe just not stealthy enough, so i tried straight running... i ran through whole cherno, headed toward balota airfield without being hit a single time. there i got into the tower, grabbed a m1014 and killed the zombies that made it up to my position.

my person opinion is, that the second way is the most easiest because it seems zombies can't hit you, though they are faster than you are..

i'd suggest to make it more effective to stealth, than running with a horde of zombies till you find a weapon and blow them away...

[/quote']

I'll sum it up.

1. Sneaking is borked. Zombies agro through buildings all the time. LOS is not working and the weird zombie LOS and spawn system can make being discovered any where, a cluster fuck to deal with. I don't sneak any more. I run into a town and run through buildings till the zombies glitch. Stealth is pointless, the exact opposite of what you'd expect as a new player in this game.

2. Zombies spawn INSIDE. This is really the dumbest part of a no weapon spawn. You're desperately scavenging, you find a building only to find it's entrance blocked by a zombie/s. No weapon means you are effectively locked out of a building you managed to actually sneak to without alerting the town. Blow the stealth or leave the building empty handed. Great choices...

3. Pistols and weapons in general are extremely rare for some reason. The reason we could keep rarish weapons (outside of the obvious and busy farming zones which are frankly suicide even when you had a weapon) was you had a weapon to start with. Keeping drops as low as this and removing the starting pistol is just a death knell. Most of the time you're dying/starving and re-spawning till you luck out. Shouldn't we, I don't know encourage survival in a survival game?

4. Now a coast griefer doesn't even have to think twice about killing a fresh spawn since the fresh spawn can't even defend himself. He hasn't got a chance. Bandits have never killed for loot. They never will. They do it for the killing. Even if players started with absolutely nothing you'd still get killings of these people. All you've done is stop fresh spawns from killing other fresh spawns until they can find a hatchet

A lot of this appears fixed as of 1.7.1.5. Especially the LOS of zombies. Zombies do start inside .. but they're slow and leading them outside, you can run around the building and go back in. Plus you can actually stealth by them sometimes depending on the size of the building and where they spawned.

I've never even run into a coast griefer on multiple servers. I know they're there but if I get killed over and over, I'd switch servers. Either way a lot of these concerns are manageble and especially with the new hotfix. But that's just my own experience so far.

Just gonna put it out there...

It's Alpha.

We're all lucky we get to play let alone on a scale as massive as this.

You came into this knowing Dayz was in Alpha and instead of bug reporting and helping the development a massive portion of people bitch about how its unfair they lost their gear or its unfair you dont have a weapon when you wake up on a beach knocked out. In all fairness it's never been explained why you are on the beach but I'd prefer it even harder, no bandages, no painkillers, no backpack. It's supposed to be hard, and its damn right gonna be buggy.

Quit bitchin'

Because people have no defense for themselves against zombies and players, it becomes to difficult for new players.

Because people have no defense for themselves against zombies and players, it becomes to difficult for new players. I'm someone who absolutely hates the no weapon thing, but it doesn't ruin the game with me. I often complain to my buddies while we pay. But the truth is. IM BETTER AT THE GAME NOW! Spawning without a weapon I'm now good at sneaking! Even at 1.7.1.4 I'm good at sneaking! I'd still love for the makarov to be put back in the starting pack, or any weapon for that matter. But because of this, I have improved in my skill at the game.

"sprint everywhere, easier to survive" -> facepalm. U are turing the mod into a standart 3 weeks fun mod. You don't understand the sense.

Of course it's difficult. I mean really, where's the suspense and heart pounding when you're given a weapon and supplies in a HORROR SURVIVAL game?

Answer: There isn't one. And you're stupid for asking.

It's not even the fact that it's an alpha. It's the fact that people seem to lack any motivation or get too attached to their fake items. THAT is the problem.

When a game gets so much mainstream attention' date=' it's bound to attract a casual crowd.

I'd bet 90% of the people whining about it are people who have no experience playing Arma 2 and bought it specifically for DayZ.

[/quote']

Agreed, most of them are likely not used to the level of difficulty involved in this game, hell i still find it too easy.

I have respawned 1 time so far since the no weapon patch it took minutes to find a hatchet and hack my way from kamenka to balota got a cco went north.

Have not died since so maybe im not a good judge of it but it cant be that bad.

I have respawned 1 time so far since the no weapon patch it took minites to find a hatchet and hack my way from kamenka to balota.

Then you are one really awesome BAMF.

Although I'm a product of not having weapons when i started playing I eventually learned what i was doing. But for a new player that doesn't know anything about the game itself and has to go look up youtube videos on what to do and how to do it, it can be very frustrating because the learning curve is a bit awkward when you first start out. Also for people who have had starting weapons before and it's obvious who you are when you call people noobs for wanting them. Keep in mind you know the game, you had it easy, and now you can adapt. "Not having weapons now makes it so much better." Congrats you got babied and learned how to walk. Wonderful for you, it isn't as easy for most players.

its only the people who like shooting up the place when they seeing a zombie only to die 10 minutes later because they have no ammo left i like spawning with nothing it makes you venture into the big cities to find things instead of just running inland right off the start

I agree with Lozel, i've the game since three days and to not have a weapon was like .. "WTF HAVE I TO DO HERE". Really, the first lives are disturbing, because you just don't know what you have to do and the game mechanics.

But, now, i enjoy it, it's not so hard now to find a weapon and you can't imagine my smile when i find something like a hunting knife, some rounds and a gun like "ok, i'm ready to survive a day now".

I started and play with a friend on vocal, and we thought it would be nice to found a community, it's surely one of the best way to learn without being frustrated because we really don't understand something.

Honestly the weapons are not the issue. Having a bag but not packing food an water? How did you survive? Not having food and water at the start makes me feel like rushing through the early stages... which is not viable. Atleast 1 can of beans and 1 soda should be at spawn. THAT is realism.

It's the same with any mod/game that hasnt been created by a massive company. eg, minecraft. You don't get told what to do on that but yet you survive and continue... because you read up on what your supposed to do and how to play.

Anyone with any sense would read up and do their homework if they are struggling that bad rather than kicking and screaming.

It really is easy to get hold of a weapon, you just need a little map reading skills with one of the online maps that are available.

I've been playing for about 2 days now, 4 hours a time. Tonight is my third day. I've died many times but that was because I didn't know how to sneak properly. As of last night I started again (after being shot in the head) and have aquired most of my basic items (matches, map, compas, watch, hatchet, hunting knife) and armed my self up with a nice CZ scope and ammo for my mackrov. I have also in the process of this managed to get my self some food and a bottle to fill with water.

Not only that but with a bit of map reading and looking for land marks, I have navigated across the land to reach my friends, sneaking by, looting barns and houses and defended my self from people on numerous occasions who threatened my existance at gun point.

I don't claim to be a pro, or infact that good at all. All I am saying is if you read up like pretty much everyone else should (As a new player) then you will stand a bigger chance of survival.

One of my best moments of last night was counter sniping a sniper. My friend was trapped in a barn (between kozlovka and drozhino on the road) and a sniper was camping him inside from the field to the north. So we used the bait and wait tactic. I got my friend to dash across the barn enterence to try to coax the sniper to taking a shot. He did and missed. Gave away his position and I got a tasty headshot :D

Just because you get spotted when sneaking without a weapon doesnt mean you lose, You can sprint, evade zombies, find, use everything available to you, tin cans to distract zombies, buildings to slow down pursuers, use the terrain to make the zombies lose sight of you...

I think you are concentrating on sneaking exclusively and then complaining when your single minded strategy fails, the game is about survival at all costs, its not just a "sneak em up". In Arma II yes you use sneaking to gain an advantage, but the second you are spotted that advantage is lost, its time to dash for cover, then retreat or attack.

Because new players don't have a clue? You're being dropped on an island. U have no idea where u are if it's your first time playing. You run 5 meters and u have a gazillion zombies behind your ass.

Yeah I can see why that would turn of new players..

U said it yourself, "I ran straight to the tower at the airfield." New players don't know where to find the loot..

since some people saying they have difficulties starting without a weapon i tried it myself. wasn't that hard' date=' sneaked into balota airfield, got akm, left the place and had a nice life...

so i wondered if they are maybe just not stealthy enough, so i tried straight running... i ran through whole cherno, headed toward balota airfield without being hit a single time. there i got into the tower, grabbed a m1014 and killed the zombies that made it up to my position.

my person opinion is, that the second way is the most easiest because it seems zombies can't hit you, though they are faster than you are..

i'd suggest to make it more effective to stealth, than running with a horde of zombies till you find a weapon and blow them away...

[/quote']

to be fair you did try it in 1.7.1.5 not 1.7.1 and you found a gun on the airfield on your first try... with ammo even...

you start with only flashlight in your backpack,you dont know where to go,u get shot by a nice guy who already geared up.repeat.dont think its a good way to let ppl have fun being new to the game.as i said before,this game need kinda pve exploration server for these who just joined and have no idea about cheap wookie that camping respawn spots.no rage,i just trying to imagine reaction :)

Casual gamers (90% of gamers) have learned to play traditional FPS, where you have a weapon and where you need to reach an objective, most of the times killing your enemies (whatever they are: NPC's, other players.. etc.).

They are confused when they join a game they believes it is "another FPS" without a weapon... since they think the first task to perform is to find one! :)

They doesn't even imagine that you can live (the only purpose of this game is to survive) for days.. or weeks.. or even "forever", without a weapon at all.

Just gonna put it out there...

It's Alpha.

We're all lucky we get to play let alone on a scale as massive as this.

You came into this knowing Dayz was in Alpha and instead of bug reporting and helping the development a massive portion of people bitch about how its unfair they lost their gear or its unfair you dont have a weapon when you wake up on a beach knocked out. In all fairness it's never been explained why you are on the beach but I'd prefer it even harder' date=' no bandages, no painkillers, no backpack. It's supposed to be hard, and its damn right gonna be buggy.

Quit bitchin'

[/quote']

word.

I think the harder to survive the better it will be and with more teamwork capabilities which are hopefullz implemented in further patches, this mod will leach hours, from my mates and mine spare time.

my opinion is, it is quite unneccessary to start without a weapon because you can just run through all buildings you see, and by run i mean running with a big horde of zombies behind you.

i repeatedly just ran through all the cities on the coast (like a newbie may do?) just having a quick look inside the buildings until i found a weapon and shot the remaining zombies behind me.

fact is, that zombies often loose you when you enter a building and leave through another one...

so there is really no need to be sam fisher in order to get the first weapon, just keep running, zombies can't reach you, even though they now have 2 meter arms :P

dont forget about nice persons that camping in cherno and electro,how to deal with them being new to the game with no gun :)

can't deal with them even if you have your starting-makarov...

true but atleast you have that chance of surviving the encounter.

I dont mind the no weapon thing, i've learned where things are, but i did like the fact that i had some supplies, if you want an extreme game with no weapons at start make it so the hardcore servers or vet servers start with no weapons, leaving recuit or regular with starter weapon. Makes sense to me, all you "I'm so elite i dont need weapons" can go there, and where people who want alittle less of a struggle plays on a regular server where there are starting pistol and shit, doesnt that sound like a way to make both sides happy?