TomIrony

Good recording software?

What's the best software with which to record a play session? All I know of is Fraps, but is there anything else? Anything better (and free)?

Dxtory. I like it because it records in-game audio and my microphone separately so I can adjust each volume accordingly if I'm recording a "Lets Play".

A lot of people talk about dxtory.

I personally use fraps, and then Vdub with a Xvid codec to compress the vids

yea dxtory is great, the cost is like 40 usd but its worth it for the ablity to direct source your video and audio into say skype or xsplit.

try bandicam. it has a free trial like fraps, but you can record up to 10 mins per file. the only bad part is that u get a watermark =/

MSI afterburner, dont think you can record sound with it tho:/ good tool to tweak and monitor your GPU aswell tho xD

• Like 1

MSI Afterburner is good, no lag or drop of fraps but its file size of the video is HUGE!! i recorded 1:30min and it was 760megabytes

Dxtory is good

MSI Afterburner Beta (free)

Fraps

Edited by smasht_AU

Msi afterburner. Its free records GREAT hd video the file size is bigger, but you can use microsoft movie maker to compress it. It takes awhile to get the settings right to get the audio synced so that it records game and mic audio and you have to mess with your comp sound setting too but a quick google search with set it up nicely, i just started re ording gameplay and it works amazingly

Yeah I use MSI afterburner. I prefer it to Fraps, however I haven't used dxtory.

Question at wes10.... I still can't record my side of the conversation. could you help me out please?

Id recomend DXtory, Fraps limits video to 4gb files and i find lags after constant use.

But Dxtory uses sod all in terms of memory, Plus you can record on multiple HDDs at the same time which is brilliant, plus you can split audio channels when recording so makes it easier to edit and cut out the chatter you dont want.

(It costs, but you can get it for free if you look hard enough, thats what i done at first, but i paid the 40 bucks after i used it and found out how awesome it was.)

Fraps does not limit the file size to 4gb.... that's long gone.

However I use MSI afterburner as well, the files aren't any bigger than how fraps produces them.

Oh and of course it does record sound as well.

But keep in mind it still takes a lot of performance, not as much as fraps but the difference isn't that big.

If you guise are wondering what wondershare is, it is the fastest compression program I have ever used.

I can compress a fraps 3.9GB file into a YT file in under 3-5 mins.

MSI afterburner to record the files (no sound), then run the file through freemake video converter to a more space friendly format (and add music).