Sloshyman

Petition to spawn with a weapon!

No.

+1

Spawning with a weapon would result in killing-each-other-right-after-spawning.

yay for no weapons, if you are any good this will not hinder your progress at all!

At first its abit challenging but once you know the drill you usually get weapons pretty quick

One more against spawning with a weapon.

At first I was very confused and disheartened. Then I spent 5 minutes on finding a weapon.

Here's the solution.

Spawn people with an old shovel/bat/hatchet or whatever other melee weapon you can think of.

It can kill zombies in two shots' date=' but only has a low X (say, 20 maybe?) amount of uses.

There, a nearly useless weapon to anyone but a starter, gives people an alternative to HURRR RUN IN ABORT DISCONNECT OK.

I'd like to see how many of you would manage to survive for long or find any weapons if you weren't able to clear zombies.

[/quote']

Or they could play properly and learn where the weapons spawn and where the loot is. But they won't and they'll continue to whine and moan that Day Z is too hard, etc, etc.

Yes

I thought it was a pretty dumb idea to remove the weapon in the first place, Now people have pretty much no chance to defend themselves from zombies or pvpers. atleast with a handgun you had something.

Altho, alot of people just want this game to be as hard as possible and make it as unfair as possible for more of a challenge and i suppose more fun for them.

Yes

I thought it was a pretty dumb idea to remove the weapon in the first place' date=' Now people have pretty much no chance to defend themselves from zombies or pvpers. atleast with a handgun you had something.

Altho, alot of people just want this game to be as hard as possible and make it as unfair as possible for more of a challenge and i suppose more fun for them.

[/quote']

Yes we do want that, we want the game to rape us in every possible way imaginable. It is supposed to be a zombie apocalypse simulator after all.

No.

Weapons are almost everywhere. Within first 20-30 minutes you can find all what you need.

If you die too often, that means you do something wrong:

- don't run, sneak

- don't run, use shape of terrain as your cover

- don't stay on noobcoast, move north

- play at night, zombies are blind and deaf after dusk

- use empty tin cans and whiskey bottles to distract zombies

etc

If you get spotted by zombies, you're obviously doing something wrong. Just crawl everywhere.

I can go through every town between Elektro and the NW Airfield without firing a single shot or aggroing a single zombie. If you're not patient enough to prone everywhere, this game might not be for you.

As a new player I have to admit that it is more difficult than I imagined. Not difficult in a good way though, difficult because the Zombies somehow have a detection range that varies from almost point blank to 400m.

I've tried to get into small buildings and houses without being detected, I might die 4/5 times in the process but sometimes I'll get onto the roof, I'll look around and I see Zombies from like 200m in the middle of a field charging right at me and when I go down the stairs there are 7/8 zombies at the bottom... without a weapon I can't do anything. My only weapon against these zombies is to log out and come back later that night.

I remember reading a thread that the zombie detection isn't working properly so I guess that is a bonus, if that improves then I don't think there is a need for a weapon.

No.

Weapons are almost everywhere. Within first 20-30 minutes you can find all what you need.

If you die too often' date=' that means you do something wrong:

- don't run, sneak

- don't run, use shape of terrain as your cover

- don't stay on noobcoast, move north

- play at night, zombies are blind and deaf after dusk

- use empty tin cans and whiskey bottles to distract zombies

etc

[/quote']

I will add I have tried all of the above both me and my friend are new comers to the game and we've watched countless guide videos, we follow them to the key but we can't get within 50m of a zombie without triggering it, whether I'm lying on the floor or not it just darts. The strangest is when I can be lying down on one side of a building and suddenly I some trigger a zombie on the other side of the solid building.

I tried the bottle trick opening but what ended up happening was it just brought the zombies close enough to detect me anyway. Seriously... I know I'm new but the detection is nothing like I've seen in videos, making the game hard is a great but making the 'AI' almost like X-Ray vision robots is a bit too far.

(...)I know I'm new but the detection is nothing like I've seen in videos' date=' making the game hard is a great but making the 'AI' almost like X-Ray vision robots is a bit too far.

[/quote']

What game version are you running? Are you positive it is the DayZ 1.7.1.5 and ArmA 2 OA 94444? I know that early version of 1.7.1.X had some issues, but latest is fine. 3 days ago me and friends of mine found a helicopter crash site with dozen of zombies around. I crawled between them, not alerting a single one, took a loot and moved back safety.

Ah PROTIP: sneak behind them, zombies have quite good vision to a front.

If you would like to start spawning with a weapon again' date=' please post a comment.[/quote']NO! The new spawn gear is much better than giving every noob a makarov - the 'unarmed' stage of the game is a very interesting addition.

How about you start with a pistol like a revolver or makorov but with no ammo, just a suggestion. I like no weapons though, got through Cherno without being detected

There is no need to start with a weapon.

Most of my looting runs go with out taking any shots.

I use melee most of the time cuz its silent.

And use those flares to draw zombies.

Here's the solution.

Spawn people with an old shovel/bat/hatchet or whatever other melee weapon you can think of.

It can kill zombies in two shots' date=' but only has a low X (say, 20 maybe?) amount of uses.

There, a nearly useless weapon to anyone but a starter, gives people an alternative to HURRR RUN IN ABORT DISCONNECT OK.

I'd like to see how many of you would manage to survive for long or find any weapons if you weren't able to clear zombies.

[/quote']

Or they could play properly and learn where the weapons spawn and where the loot is. But they won't and they'll continue to whine and moan that Day Z is too hard, etc, etc.

OR they could just spawn with a useless weapon that can't even be used for killing people because it requires you to be sitting still.

No need to be a tryhard, I'm not saying we should spawn with any firearm. It would just be nice to have a means of dealing with a zombie that doesn't take metagame.

OK I know there are some of you spoiling for a bigger challenge but spawning without a weapon - if you haven't played before - is too difficult.

I've had maybe 20 serious goes at it, maybe 22 hours. Even avoiding detection isn't any good as I haven't found a weapon, the zombies see me through walls and walk through doors, they have run uphill after me - which they aren't supposed to...there's just no way to get a foot on the ladder.

One pistol and a few rounds would buy enough time to get started.

M

PS For every person who agrees with me on here there are maybe a dozen who have just quit.

There is no need to start with a weapon.

Most of my looting runs go with out taking any shots.

I use melee most of the time cuz its silent.

And use those flares to draw zombies.

Melee? How does that work??

too difficult.

I've had maybe 20 serious goes at it' date=' maybe 22 hours

[/quote']

You don't know how melee works and you want to give input on game-design-decisions. Okay.

Quick addition to this:

Based on what I've read here...there are a lot of experienced players here who know what they're doing who are objecting to a starting weapon even though it would make NO DIFFERENCE TO THEM AT ALL. In 20 odd hours I haven't seen a single other player who I could have terrified with my pea-shooter. If you want a challenge, why not just drop the pistol?

Everyone says 'head north' but that would require a compass...people demanding ultra-realism are advocating having a map open on THE INTERNET...and I've seen one solitary person offering to help noobs out - that's not the basis for a growing community, it's the basis of a small and very insular one.

#justsayin'

too difficult.

I've had maybe 20 serious goes at it' date=' maybe 22 hours

[/quote']

You don't know how melee works and you want to give input on game-design-decisions. Okay.

YES INDEED. Starting with adequate explanation of the controls...and a supportive community.

There are tutorials in Arma2 as well as Arma2OA that explain the controls in detail.

North can be figured out very easily by reading stuff on the wiki (hint: look at the clouds, or shadows if you have a compass). Starting with a weapon would lead to easy griefing and unnecessarily make the game easier. Not having one teaches people how to lose aggroed zeds and where to look for weapons.

Demanding a supportive community is a two-way street. No one likes helping people that can't be bothered to figure stuff out for themselves and instead cry on the forums.

Requirements:

ArmA II: CO

DayZ Mod Files (Available on the downloads page)

Balls