AP_Norris

Bounty notes and payout.

I was thinking of an idea to punish dedicated bandits or just people that are generally dicks in the world of DayZ.

If you could put bountys on people's heads, leave the bounty on a few pin boards somewhere and players could accept the mission and it could relate somehow to the tracking idea Rocket was thinking of.

Your tracking senses could be more tuned towards a player when you accept a bounty to find and kill or bring back.

I'm not sure if it necessarily needs actual support from the in game features rather than something players could cover themselves with normal features.

But it could create a new league of DayZ players rather than survivors, bandits and heroes.

They would be bounty hunters maybe they don't run with a group and from what they loose in that area they gain from in favours granted from successful hunts by the employer.

Sorry for any vagueness or bad grammar it's just a small idea of mine that I've just thought of, constructive feedback would be most appreciated.

• Like 2

Your tracking senses could be more tuned towards a player when you accept a bounty to find and kill or bring back.

I do not like the idea that I have quoted here. One's abilities in-game should be dependent upon the person them-self; their in-game character should not receive any *boost* for doing tasks.

EDIT: Oh, however, I do like the ability to pin notes around.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 7

I do not like the idea that I have quoted here. One's abilities in-game should be dependent upon the person them-self; their in-game character should not receive any *boost* for doing tasks.

Ok, ok I can understand.

I guess you can tell them their targets last known and commonly seen around locations.

So then you have a good start point to try and pick up their tracks.

• Like 2

THe only problem is the fact that there's 1 million players with a few added each week, and 3 million servers with a couple hundred added every day (over exaggerating, of course, but the fact remains). On private hives with a dedicated player base, I suppose this idea makes sense and isn't terrible, but it will never work on the public hive; "Oh, some minged player put a bounty on me? Better change servers."

There's just never going to be enough consistent people returning to the same public hives again and again to make the idea worthwhile, and public hives should always have more development attention than private ones.

THe only problem is the fact that there's 1 million players with a few added each week, and 3 million servers with a couple hundred added every day (over exaggerating, of course, but the fact remains). On private hives with a dedicated player base, I suppose this idea makes sense and isn't terrible, but it will never work on the public hive; "Oh, some minged player put a bounty on me? Better change servers."

There's just never going to be enough consistent people returning to the same public hives again and again to make the idea worthwhile, and public hives should always have more development attention than private ones.

Which is the main issue with DayZ at the moment in my opinion.

I fully support people acting like bullies, assholes and general psychopaths. But i also support that they should get what's coming to them. I want a dayz where dicks are known. But where some of them are untouchable because everyone is shaking in their boots at the idea of being anywhere near them.

Which is the main issue with DayZ at the moment in my opinion.

I fully support people acting like bullies, assholes and general psychopaths. But i also support that they should get what's coming to them. I want a dayz where dicks are known. But where some of them are untouchable because everyone is shaking in their boots at the idea of being anywhere near them.

Yeah. People only complain about banditry because they feel like they can't do anything about it; if a bandit's ability to change servers weren't so simple, and players had the ability to amass 6-man hit squads, it would be the bandits complaining about the game being ruined about invincible, over-geared children.

Bandits belong in DayZ like ham belongs in a ham sandwich. The only problem is, no matter how much ketchup you add... I can't really think of a good analogy for the fact that banditry is the easiest way to play and there is no built in karma system. I don't want a "You die of a heart attack after 10 kills" system or anything like that; that would just be stupid.

I like the idea and it seems like something fit for DayZ.  Your post does brings up a big problem with it though.  Maybe SA could have a feature than you could search and see what server a player was on?  I'm not sure if that would work though because if you can change your name in SA like you can in the mod, then players obviously would just change their name.

I like this idea very much, it would also fix problem with KoS a little bit. If the problem is that a guy with a bounty on his head could just switch servers then why not make the bounty guy working on every public server ? 

I like the idea and it seems like something fit for DayZ.  Your post does brings up a big problem with it though.  Maybe SA could have a feature than you could search and see what server a player was on?  I'm not sure if that would work though because if you can change your name in SA like you can in the mod, then players obviously would just change their name.

Definitely not.

There's 3 problems in being able to search for people:

1. Realism. I know everyone is supposed to "exist in the same world" anyway... but I don't want massive clans roaming servers together with their stupid TeamSuck.

2. Privacy

3. Protection of content creators. Frankie and Jack (regardless of whether you like them or not, they're the two biggest DayZ players I know of) have to change their usernames every time they record because that god-awful DayZ commander was letting hackers search for them by username, join their server, and kill them/everyone.

I don't know if there's a happy medium anyone can find. Maybe your system is better than mine. All I know is DayZ SA has really lost priority on my wish list lately anyway.

Definitely not.

There's 3 problems in being able to search for people:

1. Realism. I know everyone is supposed to "exist in the same world" anyway... but I don't want massive clans roaming servers together with their stupid TeamSuck.

2. Privacy

3. Protection of content creators. Frankie and Jack (regardless of whether you like them or not, they're the two biggest DayZ players I know of) have to change their usernames every time they record because that god-awful DayZ commander was letting hackers search for them by username, join their server, and kill them/everyone.

I don't know if there's a happy medium anyone can find. Maybe your system is better than mine. All I know is DayZ SA has really lost priority on my wish list lately anyway.

Unless the server you get is absolutely random (Which I'm against), then people who communicate through outside measures will always be roaming servers together. And I see no real reason to prevent this, unless you argue that everyone should have to play the exact same DayZ (Including removing any custom/modded servers)

Unless the server you get is absolutely random (Which I'm against), then people who communicate through outside measures will always be roaming servers together. And I see no real reason to prevent this, unless you argue that everyone should have to play the exact same DayZ (Including removing any custom/modded servers)

You didn't read the content creator privacy bulletin I see. At least, didn't try to respond to it.

You didn't read the content creator privacy bulletin I see. At least, didn't try to respond to it.

If I had hax I would only do it to get RhinoCrunch.

Damn that RhinoCrunch and his hero killing ways D:

Yeah. People only complain about banditry because they feel like they can't do anything about it; if a bandit's ability to change servers weren't so simple, and players had the ability to amass 6-man hit squads, it would be the bandits complaining about the game being ruined about invincible, over-geared children.

Bandits belong in DayZ like ham belongs in a ham sandwich. The only problem is, no matter how much ketchup you add... I can't really think of a good analogy for the fact that banditry is the easiest way to play and there is no built in karma system. I don't want a "You die of a heart attack after 10 kills" system or anything like that; that would just be stupid.

I think In a real life scenario a bandits name would really spread around with any survivors putting out word of a distinctive looking man that shoots you in the leg, ties you up and fires in the air attracting zombies.

Maybe someone is watching from the bushes with only a Makerov unable to intervene. He's a friendly player and others hear of his story, when more word pops up about the very same bandit a player puts a bounty on him for all to see.

He could be captured alive then be delivered to court, judge, jury, execution style of Justice.

If I had hax I would only do it to get RhinoCrunch.

Damn that RhinoCrunch and his hero killing ways D:

I know. I know.

And for that reason, I want this bounty system now... but he plays on private servers and tele-kills anyone that kills him, so.

I think In a real life scenario a bandits name would really spread around with any survivors putting out word of a distinctive looking man that shoots you in the leg, ties you up and fires in the air attracting zombies.

Maybe someone is watching from the bushes with only a Makerov unable to intervene. He's a friendly player and others hear of his story, when more word pops up about the very same bandit a player puts a bounty on him for all to see.

He could be captured alive then be delivered to court, judge, jury, execution style of Justice.

In DayZ, that just doesn't happen. It isn't real life, and life doesn't translate to DayZ or back very well.

• Like 1

In my opinion,you don't need a bounty ytem, just tell yourself "OK, this guy has been killing people, maybe I'll track him and teach him a lesson"  You don't need o have a tracking system, in real life, people who weretracking outlaws in the wild had only their wits and whatever tell-tale signs that their enemy left behind. And the pay-out is the loot you get from the person you're tracking isn't it?

In my opinion,you don't need a bounty ytem, just tell yourself "OK, this guy has been killing people, maybe I'll track him and teach him a lesson"  You don't need o have a tracking system, in real life, people who weretracking outlaws in the wild had only their wits and whatever tell-tale signs that their enemy left behind. And the pay-out is the loot you get from the person you're tracking isn't it?

I guess so, but I still want a band together sort of thing.

Like spray paint a giant thing in the supermarket.

Absolutely not Rockets already stated he's no going to add any mechanic's that force some sort of quest or he will however add features which will enable such things to happen but everything will be up to the player to follow through on any quests. There will not be any sort of quest updates or automatic notification or reward when you achieve a task started by another. It would be very much a case of having to identifying the person, who is up for bounty, killing them, taking evidence then finding and meeting up with the player who put up the request and then meeting with them for your reward.

Everything will be very much player driven; computer mechanics will have nothing to do with tracking players, status of bounty's, collecting of rewards. 

The bounty thing would work for people who don't have the skill or gear to take down a person.  For example let's say a guy is sniping new spawns in Electro.  The player who wants him dead can't even get close enough to shoot the sniper without dying.  Therefor he puts up a bounty.  Another sniper sees the bounty, then proceeds to counter snipe, the sniper.

I don't like the idea of punishing playstyles. This idea is targeting dedicated bandits who, no matter what you do, will never stop being bandit. The idea is ineffective at that approach and would be seen as just a way of getting petty revenge on a bandit. 

Besides, how would you know who killed you in SA?

I don't like the idea of punishing playstyles. This idea is targeting dedicated bandits who, no matter what you do, will never stop being bandit. The idea is ineffective at that approach and would be seen as just a way of getting petty revenge on a bandit. 

Besides, how would you know who killed you in SA?

You wouldn't, and its targeted at dicks.

People that use cheap tricks, people that get their fun out of ruining the game for other players.

And why do people hate any suggestion that might affect bandits, if you ask me your all bandits :/

You wouldn't, and its targeted at dicks.

People that use cheap tricks, people that get their fun out of ruining the game for other players.

And why do people hate any suggestion that might affect bandits, if you ask me your all bandits :/

You've liked enough of my posts about the topic of bandits to know that I don't like them. But I respect that they are playing the game the way they want to play it, in the same sense that I am. They should be allowed to play the way they want to.

The thing is, DayZ gives player a very open-ended way of playing the game. Everybody can play the way they want to, and that's the beauty of it - I don't want to take that away. Punishing people for choosing what is seen as the immoral way of playing ruins a player's freedom of choice.

Edited by Dutch Miller

You've liked enough of my posts about the topic of bandits to know that I don't like them. But I respect that they are playing the game the way they want to play it, in the same sense that I am. They should be allowed to play the way they want to.

The thing is, DayZ gives player a very open-ended way of playing the game. Everybody can play the way they want to, and that's the beauty of it - I don't want to take that away. Punishing people for choosing what is seen as the immoral way of playing ruins a player's freedom of choice.

The game already punishes bandits by giving them a tell tale skin that he kills people, as well as having slower running speeds.

I vote to remove those, and put in a more realistic system where if somebody wants to be a hero that's up to them and not just for a skin and faster running.

But just like IRL people should get word of the bandits so they know who to trust.

I'm not talking pop up on the screen, I'm was thinking you see a name tag when they're close unless they have something over their face.

I'm not in it just for the sake of punishing bandits, I would prefer that there still be Bandits and even Complete assholes, but the community has a way of recognising them by permanent name which shows up when you get close to them.

Like in fallout when you go up close to talk to somebody it will say their name, I get these ideas from another thread which also mentions the idea of hiding your identity with a face wrap, which might mean you know the players who you should really be avoiding, but not unless they're too close.

In this fashion the only people who are punished are the sloppy and backstabbing bandits/ the ones that got close enough for you to see their name.

If they're going to take the easy way and just shoot all threats dead rather than confronting... They definitely deserve a bit of balance which in my defence is also rather realistic.

Re-meeting players you know from positive interactions and have them identifiable would be great aswell.

The game already punishes bandits by giving them a tell tale skin that he kills people, as well as having slower running speeds.

I vote to remove those, and put in a more realistic system where if somebody wants to be a hero that's up to them and not just for a skin and faster running.

But just like IRL people should get word of the bandits so they know who to trust.

I'm not talking pop up on the screen, I'm was thinking you see a name tag when they're close unless they have something over their face.

I'm not in it just for the sake of punishing bandits, I would prefer that there still be Bandits and even Complete assholes, but the community has a way of recognising them by permanent name which shows up when you get close to them.

Like in fallout when you go up close to talk to somebody it will say their name, I get these ideas from another thread which also mentions the idea of hiding your identity with a face wrap, which might mean you know the players who you should really be avoiding, but not unless they're too close.

In this fashion the only people who are punished are the sloppy and backstabbing bandits/ the ones that got close enough for you to see their name.

If they're going to take the easy way and just shoot all threats dead rather than confronting... They definitely deserve a bit of balance which in my defence is also rather realistic.

Re-meeting players you know from positive interactions and have them identifiable would be great aswell.

Those are barely punishments, you run slightly slower and most bandits take pride in their skin (partly because it hides the backpack).

Most "asshole" bandits won't be close enough to for you to see them when they kill you. Most of them will be sniping or camping high loot areas. The bandits that are sloppy are the ones that nobody would really care about, and they would be punished. Often times the person that shot you in close quarters isn't really a bandit, but was surprised by you and got the first shot. Those people would be punished instead of bandits who, in your terms, deserve it. The system would leave the real targets unaffected while further punishing those that kill in self-defense.

Those are barely punishments, you run slightly slower and most bandits take pride in their skin (partly because it hides the backpack).

Most "asshole" bandits won't be close enough to for you to see them when they kill you. Most of them will be sniping or camping high loot areas. The bandits that are sloppy are the ones that nobody would really care about, and they would be punished. Often times the person that shot you in close quarters isn't really a bandit, but was surprised by you and got the first shot. Those people would be punished instead of bandits who, in your terms, deserve it. The system would leave the real targets unaffected while further punishing those that kill in self-defense.

Self defence? When I walk into a room with somebody in it I back out and say friendly.

Whenever somebody walks into a room with me in it they go OMG free loot! Pew pew pew

I saw a vid the other day bandits running after guy that he shot, shot guy says he's a new spawn and bandit says sorry, runs up to bandage and shoots the guy instead of bandaging him. In that case he should be punished for trying to make up for his crap aim with bad promises.

Sniper bandits probably won't be as numerous in the SA because there is no military grade snipers and two it takes much longer to end up with that stuff.

Not all bandits would be punished, just the bad ones that prefer to evoke trust or say friendly before killing somebody.

People that want to avoid being named would wear something over their face clearly identifying themselves as untrustworthy, maybe you would tie him up and remove mask to reveal his name.

There isn't really a way of punishing the type of bandits you describe without a sort of insanity system.