Sign in to follow this  
codeine

Every game has this topic: Females?

Arma 2, being a military simulator game, doesn't support playable female characters. There are no animations for them in game, for various reasons not really worth discussing here.

End of discussion (I guess not :().

And if you think about modding your own female playable character model, well, just do it. Prepare for like half a year to a year of your spare time tinkering in various 3D suites. I assume you already have your own motion capture studio, right...Or you could rent Bohemia's own studio, seriously (for real). For I guess 500$ an hour?

The reason there aren't currently female avatars in ArmA is because Bohemia doesn't want to put women on the front lines. Not because they're sexist or hate women, but because they don't want to see them brutalized by war. It's a chivalry thing, I believe. Though most people won't accept it as such >_>

As for me, I couldn't care less either way. There's addons for female soldiers(though they typically look a bit weird) out there. The problem with that, though, would be that you'd have to mod not only the player model, but the armor, weapons, animations, voices. All that junk. Maybe not weapons, but definitely animations in regards to each type of weapon.

I think cementing features, stability and content are a much higher priority than adding customization things like this. Or, I believe they should be >_>

If it can't be done easily then I'm fine without it.

Refining gameplay/fixing bugs is more important than introducing new models that aren't strictly necessary.

Would just be nice to think about for future additions.

The game is fine with out it, but it could make a good addition to the game.

I've already seen female player-controlled models in Arma 3

It makes no difference to the gameplay

You've tried it?

I think what Paris is trying to say is: the fact that most female characters in game, if added to the mod, would probably be male players. So it would make no difference of how we approach the female skin player. Not to mention, IDK about you but it'd be pretty hard to identify the womanly face from 25 meters away if not more. The only way you'd know the skin was a female is if the actual model had a different shape.

But that's opening a WHOLE can of worms of animations/models/blahbalbha. So yeah, as many have said, might be a nice option down the line but for now, there's more zombie-pressing matters.

With the current level of (im)maturity on the forums and in the game, I think adding in females characters (now) would be frivolous and food for the trolls.

As Ketsugo stated; other things are more important such as loot not spawning!

>.<

Female models in ArmA2 have a special skeleton and therefore special animations.

They can't carry weapons and they would not be able to use the zombie animations currently in.

I'm keen on this concept but its complex' date=' difficult, involves several months of work for at least one person.

[/quote']

Pretty much there's no female characters in any Arma game, playable ones. It's a war simulator and usually it's all about male soldiers. Unless they add them somehow, it'll just turn into lots of people pretending to be girls, fooling others for items, killing them, and so on. That's just how it'll work hurr. In a survival game, a male is most likely going to wanna team up with a "female" and there could get tricky.

I only knew 2 girls that played Arma. And one of em turned out to be a dude pretending to be a girl. Lets be honest' date=' its not a very girly game, eh

[/quote']

Define girly, please.

Arma 2' date=' being a military simulator game, doesn't support playable female characters. There are no animations for them in game, for various reasons not really worth discussing here.

End of discussion (I guess not :().

And if you think about modding your own female playable character model, well, just do it. Prepare for like half a year to a year of your spare time tinkering in various 3D suites. I assume you already have your own motion capture studio, right...Or you could rent Bohemia's own studio, seriously (for real). For I guess 500$ an hour?

[/quote']

So classist sarcasm aside, what "animations" would women require? Boob bouncing?

The reason there aren't currently female avatars in ArmA is because Bohemia doesn't want to put women on the front lines. Not because they're sexist or hate women' date=' but because they don't want to see them brutalized by war. It's a chivalry thing, I believe. Though most people won't accept it as such >_>[/quote']

Except they are brutalized by war, especially civilians. The women in the military are more at threat from their male squadmates.

It makes no difference to the gameplay anyway so why waste time on it

I think what Paris is trying to say is: the fact that most female characters in game' date=' if added to the mod, would probably be male players. So it would make no difference of how we approach the female skin player.

[/quote']

*isn't playing a game where you're forced to be the opposite sex*

Pretty much there's no female characters in any Arma game' date=' playable ones. It's a war simulator and usually it's all about male soldiers. Unless they add them somehow, it'll just turn into lots of people pretending to be girls, fooling others for items, killing them, and so on. That's just how it'll work hurr. In a survival game, a male is most likely going to wanna team up with a "female" and there could get tricky.

[/quote']

From whose point of view?

Not interested, it'll just be more fuel for trolls, dudes will pretend to be chicks and try to score free crap(Like in every MMO, ever.)

We don't need that in this mod.

Not interested' date=' it'll just be more fuel for trolls, dudes will pretend to be chicks and try to score free crap(Like in every MMO, ever.)

We don't need that in this mod.

[/quote']

I think I have a solution to your problem: Don't give away free crap.

The fatal flaw everyone in this game is making is that the game supports VOIP so one way or another you're going to hear a ~GIRL VOICE~ regardless.

Still doesn't stop trolls from being sexist pigs in-game. Female models will only make that easier for them.

There's also the issue of getting a bunch of creepy hardcore RPers that start cybering and shit in the game, and the whole "saving females to preserve the human race" thing, despite the fact that it's very much possible for a lesbian to play this game, and not be interested in sex, or kids.

And don't try to "deconstruct" my opinion, please. Nothing wrong with an opinion, and no need for anyone to try to prove anyone else "wrong" just because they /really/ want female models in the game. In the end it's up to the devs, and considering the work it would take to implement females, gun-handling animations, etc, it's more trouble than it's worth. The total "things gained" score from adding females is ZERO.

Still doesn't stop trolls from being sexist pigs in-game. Female models will only make that easier for them.

There's also the issue of getting a bunch of creepy hardcore RPers that start cybering and shit in the game' date=' and the whole "saving females to preserve the human race" thing, despite the fact that it's very much possible for a lesbian to play this game, and not be interested in sex, or kids.

[/quote']

So straight women are guaranteed, or most likely to roleplay your "save the human race" scenario? Only lesbians will play "properly"? It's like you view women as just bodies for reproduction and can only think about sex and kids.

There's also the issue of getting a bunch of creepy hardcore RPers that start cybering and shit in the game' date=' and the whole "saving females to preserve the human race" thing, despite the fact that it's very much possible for a lesbian to play this game, and not be interested in sex, or kids.

[/quote']

So straight women are guaranteed, or most likely to roleplay your "save the human race" scenario? Only lesbians will play "properly"? It's like you view women as just bodies for reproduction and can only think about sex and kids.

Christ, I didn't say that /at all/. Now unless you're some sort of psychic psychoanalyst, get off your soapbox and troll somewhere else, please.

Christ' date=' I didn't say that /at all/. Now unless you're some sort of psychic psychoanalyst, get off your soapbox and troll somewhere else, please.

[/quote']

I'm not trolling. Here, let me recollect what you said:

That's a troll problem. It's akin to the argument "transgender protection laws will allow perverts in the female bathrooms".

There's also the issue of getting a bunch of creepy hardcore RPers that start cybering and shit in the game, and the whole "saving females to preserve the human race" thing

Name any game where this is a problem. Not to mention the servers aren't owned by businesses, but can also be run privately.

despite the fact that it's very much possible for a lesbian to play this game, and not be interested in sex, or kids.

This latter half of the statement implies that straight women will be unable to control themselves and irresistibly be compelled to propogate the human race. You also explicitly say that only lesbians can play the game while simultaneously not be interested in sex or children.

You have a problem with women and want to exclude them from a game because you might get ripped off by a guy and you fear of what they will do to your boys club with their emotions.

The only 'sexist pig' I see here is you.

Regardless of the number of female players of this mod' date=' I would like to see the option of female survivors purely for realism/immersion.

[/quote']

Just to let everyone know - ATM the female "Models" being added would only be the face I'm pretty sure. Don't expect a woman shape/outfit, just a womanly face with maybe a bun for hairstyle. Unless the DAY Z mod team has someone making entire models/skins for them, that's about the extent of getting a female into the game.

Although, Armaholic had some female US camo models out - so it IS possible. Just depends on if the Day Z Mod team wants to incorporate them/other user made mods into their mod. Most game changing mods tend to want to use their own resources exclusively without using any other modder's stuff.

Note to Day Z Devs: I've never used ARMA2's system of models/skins, but would it be possible to take the female civilian model and change it to have the capacity of normal soldiers? The reason I ask is because there is already nice female/male civilian models in the game. Instead of everyone being PMC skins, could always mix it up more and have a variety of russian male/female civilian skins (with the stats changed so they're "Soldier status" because apparently civvies carry less and run out of breathe faster). Could make a class in the coding, male and female. Then when players respawn they get a prompt of "Male or Female". Depending on their choice, they'd have one array(each array would have male/female exclusive skins) of character skins they'd spawn as(random still, selection menu would be hard). IDK if I'm speaking jibberish or not but just throwing out ideas.

Those models are an exellent example of why making female soldiers in arma is not a problem, all the author of the mod did is create new heads which can then be set by script the same way you set your custom face.

With all the gears soldiers wear, the same body work without problems (minus on short sleeves obviously), those bodies are the regular arma2 bodies, as a result no extra animations are required.

I saw a girl on DayZ once

Did our resident otolaryngologist find her scalp to be of high quality?

Also: Adding female character models should be low on the priority list, as it is a purely cosmetic addition (though admittedly a sought-after bit of polish) and not central to core gameplay, serving to improve immersion.

At least give us those hot Chernarussian bitches as zombies. You know the ones that look like strippers.......... and then give us the secretaries that also look like strippers.

I saw a girl on DayZ once

Did our resident otolaryngologist find her scalp to be of high quality?

Shouldnt kill females in DayZ, need the population to continue.

Also, check your latest + ratings

Just another personal opinion here(Ignoring the response to my last post, reported it instead) but perhaps the dev team should make a statement on this issue, with this thread closed and the subject put on a "don't start it" list, to prevent exactly the kind of flamebaiting and unfounded accusations that are already seeping in?