Daddy'o

Lock the map borders, no more out of bounds

Lock em. Invisible walls to follow the exact border lines of the map.

Invisible walls aren't realistic, but neither are endless barren hills with nothing so much as even grass anywhere.

Pros:

People can't drive vehicles for 5 minutes out of the map and make huge super safe tent cities there.

Vehicles become more common for all players since they aren't stored god knows how far out of bounds.

Finding stashed goods becomes more common and at the same time more risky for everyone because tents aren't god knows how far out of bounds.

You can actually find a camp with a chopper in it because the chopper isn't stashed 25km out of bounds.

Cons:

You can't super safely store your shit anymore. Boohoo, that's the way it was supposed to be.

You'll actually have to risk your stuff, be it goods or vehicles and let other people have a chance to screw you over.

There's really no real cons are there?

Before this gets implemented, the 'find vehicles' hacks should be sorted out.

I know someone who moved their vehicle 5k out of the map because wherever they put it inside the map someone found it immediately in suspicious circumstances. Within 30 minutes of moving it someone found it again killed him and stole it, 5k off the map, in a dip, surrounded by hills. They rode a tractor to his location.

Before this gets implemented' date=' the 'find vehicles' hacks should be sorted out.

I know someone who moved their vehicle 5k out of the map because wherever they put it inside the map someone found it immediately in suspicious circumstances. Within 30 minutes of moving it someone found it again killed him and stole it, 5k off the map, in a dip, surrounded by hills. They rode a tractor to his location.

[/quote']

However, having the vehicles out of bounds of the map doesn't prevent this does it? It just takes a bit more effort to reach the said vehicles for the hacker.

Before this gets implemented' date=' the 'find vehicles' hacks should be sorted out.

[/quote']

However, having the vehicles out of bounds of the map doesn't prevent this does it? It just takes a bit more effort to reach the said vehicles for the hacker.

No, but it often requires the hacker to have a vehicle to reach your vehicles, if he doesn't have one already it would be a waste of time to head off to someone elses base camp to commandeer one vehicle, to go and steal another.

If hiding stuff on the map was a viable option, then I'd definitely support this. But also as a coin flip, you've got limbo which is out of bounds where people spawn sometimes. You've got to fix that issue first, otherwise you're going to have people spawning out of bounds knocking on an invisible wall trying to get in.

This is a great thread, but I think that the map borders shouldn't be locked.

A good alternative for what you said is that every vehicle that is left beyond the borders despawn in 1h or something like that. That won't let players to hide their vehicles there.

I say no to invisible walls. why? This is shit.

I say yes to a force cleanup on every server restart. Once the server starts over, they blow up everything out of borders.

People can always cry for free.

Oh no, people are creating emergent gameplay that mimics real life supply caches! We'd better stop it quick so that all the ways to play the game that OP doesn't like are removed.

Oh no' date=' people are creating emergent gameplay that mimics real life supply caches! We'd better stop it quick so that all the ways to play the game that OP doesn't like are removed.

[/quote']

I do believe your signature says this:

"It's Rocket and Co.'s mod, and they're free to develop it any way they choose. That doesn't mean we can't make suggestions or point out issues, it just means we need to be happy with what we've got while we wait."

So I'm making a suggestion.

Also, you can make all the emergent gameplay that mimics real life supply caches within the confines of the map, you know, the intended play area?

This is essentially the same as making 50 extra characters for item storage, emergent game play that mimics disappearing slaves. Luckily we only have 1 char per cd-key.

As such, we all should play in the proper play area as well.

Exploits are exploits, whether they are exploiting game code, glitches, bugs, mechanics or terrain.

If the out of bounds areas were intended for gameplay, they wouldn't be barren and would be on the map.

Wow, I didn't know this was an issue but I can only assume it's a high priority for the devs already, considering it's ill effects on the game.

In regards to realistic hidden supply caches, you need to realize the line between realism and making a game fun and playable. Sounds like you have some caches hidden yourself.