Jackal717

Good or Bad to run DayZ Mod on an Alienware M17x Laptop?

I'm simply wanting to play this mod on settings that will not be laggy and will be able to run smoothly. Before I make any rational decisions I need help. Will this mod be able to run really well with an Alienware M17x Laptop? I am talking about graphics, response time, FPS, and anything about the game that will help me enjoy it. The reason I'm asking is because all of my friends who already play the game are running it on desktops. I want to be able to keep up with them with this kind of laptop. Yes I know its one of the top gaming computers out there. I just want to make sure before I might have to spend more moeny.

Please help, it is much needed. Thank you

I'm simply wanting to play this mod on settings that will not be laggy and will be able to run smoothly. Before I make any rational decisions I need help. Will this mod be able to run really well with an Alienware M17x Laptop? I am talking about graphics, response time, FPS, and anything about the game that will help me enjoy it. The reason I'm asking is because all of my friends who already play the game are running it on desktops. I want to be able to keep up with them with this kind of laptop. Yes I know its one of the top gaming computers out there. I just want to make sure before I might have to spend more moeny.

Please help, it is much needed. Thank you

We need a lot more information than just "alienware m17x". what generation of alienware is it? r3, r4 or r5? Most importantly what graphics card does it have? What CPU and what hard drives do you have? even SSDs can have a slight impact on gameplay. if you've got a GTX 660m or higher you will be able to run the game but not on max. maybe at around 30fps with settings at medium and some on high while post processing and other effects disabled. give us more info and we can give a more detailed reply. 

Edit: Have you bought the laptop already or are you looking at buying one?

Edited by Muromets

if you're thinking of buying an alienware then don't, they are massively overpriced and you can get a system much much cheaper buying elsewhere or building it yourself. (its very easy)

• Like 2

I play on a m17x r1. Nvidia 260m x2 sli, Intel core 2 duo p8600, and 8gb ram. 30-40 frames on DayZero. On a good DayZ server, 25-30 fps.

Edit: Graphics: Lowest, 1920-1200 resolution

Edited by Bensticles

We need a lot more information than just "alienware m17x". what generation of alienware is it? r3, r4 or r5? Most importantly what graphics card does it have? What CPU and what hard drives do you have? even SSDs can have a slight impact on gameplay. if you've got a GTX 660m or higher you will be able to run the game but not on max. maybe at around 30fps with settings at medium and some on high while post processing and other effects disabled. give us more info and we can give a more detailed reply. 

Edit: Have you bought the laptop already or are you looking at buying one?

I was mistaken but I dont have the M17x... I have the M15x. I've had the Laptop for about 2 years now. I have been playing various games on it such as WoW. I'm just trying to make sure it will be a good playable computer before I have to go through the hassle of downloading everything for the Mod DayZ since I have seen what you have to download.

I apologize for giving the wrong information and not all the information. I'm fairly new to all of this. But here are the specs:

Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

3GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz - 1 x 2048MB + 1 x 1024MB

15.6-inch Wide FHD 1920x1080 (1080p) WLED

512MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M

500GB SATAII 7,200RPM

I believe that is all the specs you asked for. I got these from the piece of paper that came with my laptop.

Edited by Jackal717

Ok. Well to be honest it is not a very powerful laptop. the GT 240m is really going to set you back. You will have to play the game on the lowest settings possible. Are you considering purchasing a new laptop?

Ok. Well to be honest it is not a very powerful laptop. the GT 240m is really going to set you back. You will have to play the game on the lowest settings possible. Are you considering purchasing a new laptop?

What I planned on doing was just upgrading the laptop I already have. Such as getting a better graphics card and/or memory card. That way it would be able to run the Mod for DayZ. Would you have any suggestions to what all I need to upgrade in the laptop I have, since I am not really looking to buy another laptop.

You'll have to do a bit of homework to see which graphics cards are compatible. You could go for a GTX 560m or 6970m. You have to make sure that you dont get the most powerful graphics card otherwise you'll be bottlenecked by the CPU. 

it will run it fine just it's not worth to buy it , it's better if you buy a custom computer which is cheaper and won't break down on you ! 

You'll have to do a bit of homework to see which graphics cards are compatible. You could go for a GTX 560m or 6970m. You have to make sure that you dont get the most powerful graphics card otherwise you'll be bottlenecked by the CPU. 

Well I tried to figure out as much as I could. Really I'm going to upgrade my laptop to the next level. I found these 3 graphic cards and was wondering which one do you prefer to get for my laptop.

1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-650-Ti-Boost-2GB-GDDR5-2DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort-pci-e-/161019336272?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item257d801650

2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-760-2GB-GDDR5-2DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort-pci-e-Video-Card-w-/200943714492?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item2ec92dc0bc

3. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-660-SuperClocked-2-GB-FREE-S-H-/151095486063?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item232dfe266f

If would take a look at those and let me know which one would be the best. And I am aware that I am going to have to upgrade the memory card and anything else that might need upgraded to be compatible with the other add-ons.