jubeidok

Have you ever seen anything like this?

I've been playing games for a long time, a lot of them being online games. Never have I seen a game that got splintered into so many different variants of the original variant, mods of the mod. I look at games like Fallout and Skyrim and they have tons of mods, but they are all mods of Fallout. There doesn't seem to be any abundance of mods that are just re-modded versions of a popular mod. I'm curious if anyone else out there has experience this happen to a game before?

Even though the mod still ended up being highly successful and spawned a standalone, I don't think this trend was very healthy for the mod and may even effect the success of the standalone. I feel the general community, not the hardcore that know the difference between a DayZ Origins and a DayZ Epoch, but the less informed users have become severely splintered. To the point where there are so many different play styles that equates to so many different expectations of what the DayZ Standalone should offer. It may all just lead to a lot of rage come standalone time. I guess we can only hope that none of this has affected the development of the standalone. Hope that the publisher isn't feeling any pressure to appease all these different groups.

What does this trend tell us about how much playing DayZ affected people? I 100% believe that unofficial, server side modded versions of the mod were spawned out of sourness. You join a private and start with a machete? The server owners are probably pretty sour that they never found a machete in all their time playing public. Start with a Dew and they never found Dew. Servers that have you starting with all the gear, and decent weapons are indicative of a user that feels like they wasted a lot of time in the past, only to be be shot in the back. Then the modded mods came along. I think this is a result of two things. One being the discovery of Arma 2 and all it has to offer. People started digging around in the editor because of DayZ and what did they find? OMG, this thing has air lifts, C130's and auto refueling! Two, I feel is indicative that a large portion of the DayZ community doesn't really like what DayZ is. In fact, I find that all this stuff as a whole is evidence of a large portion of the community playing a game because it is popular and not because it offers what they are looking to get out of a game. I'm quite sure if you were to thoroughly analyse and dig deep enough, you could tie the spawn of every DayZ mod to some form of feeling of loss from playing the original DayZ.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Hello there

I think the "split" of the mod will not affect the SA one jot.

There may be a lot of *rage* and *tears* about what people want the SA to be but if they want to change anything they'll have to participate constructively on the forums when the Alpha hits.

Arma's great modability has meant that the Dayz game has been twisted to suit many types of players gamestyles, but that really has nothing to do with the SA and people should try to remember their favourite mechanic from Origins etc etc may have no place in the SA.

If folk like Origins etc, then stick with those. I foresee the "official" mos going from strength to strength after the release of the SA as many folk will prefer it as its closer to what they are "used to" and still splendidly moddable.

Back in a min my foods cooked. Hold that thought.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Im not super familiar with the mods, from what ive seen its mostly other maps or slight changes like no infections or you start with a gun or changes to loot spawns.  Im sure a lot of this will be changeable in the server options for the standalone, or maybe they will have some presets to allow for mini hives for certain server setups.

Im sure there will be some flexibility.  

Just think about the differences between breaking point or overwatch and the vanilla dayz. It's mostly just the commonality of military, pvp oriented gear. This caters toward players that want to fight other players. And these are the most popular mods right now.

When the SA drops I hope a lot of these players choose not to make the switch

The stand-alone will stand alone.  PvP players will flood in, just as they did in DayZ.  Those wanting to mainly play house, and play Ken and Barbie dress-up, will soon abandon it.  Just as those thinking DayZ should be about teaming up with strangers to fight off zeds abandoned DayZ, or formed clans.

How the stand-alone handles murder with its "humanity system" is the only method of controlling KOS. 

Out of curiosity, I did some server scans yesterday with DayZ Commander.  Origins servers outnumber vanilla 1.7..7.1 DayZ by about 4:1.

Player count in favor of Origins looks to be even more lopsided, with many more loaded Origins servers.

I haven't played Origins, but from YT vids it appears to have more vehicles, and maybe house-building.  

Whatever it is that attracts players, it appears to be working.

My guess is many players left vanilla DayZ due to the infection implemented in 1.7.7.1.

I know I did.  But I have no idea of player numbers pre-1.7.7.1 versus post 1.7.7.1.

So that's just a guess.  Also a good guess that many went to Origins and the other mods because they just wanted something other than

"same old Chernarus."  That's normal human behavior.

The stand-alone will have a great advantage due to "interest" in something coming from Rocket, who created the landmark game, DayZ.

Whether that interest stays strong is yet to be seen.  Pretty sure I'll try it out, but I'll wait a while, as I do with most games.

The stand-alone will stand alone.  PvP players will flood in, just as they did in DayZ.  Those wanting to mainly play house, and play Ken and Barbie dress-up, will soon abandon it.  Just as those thinking DayZ should be about teaming up with strangers to fight off zeds abandoned DayZ, or formed clans.

How the stand-alone handles murder with its "humanity system" is the only method of controlling KOS. 

Out of curiosity, I did some server scans yesterday with DayZ Commander.  Origins servers outnumber vanilla 1.7..7.1 DayZ by about 4:1.

Player count in favor of Origins looks to be even more lopsided, with many more loaded Origins servers.

I haven't played Origins, but from YT vids it appears to have more vehicles, and maybe house-building.  

Whatever it is that attracts players, it appears to be working.

My guess is many players left vanilla DayZ due to the infection implemented in 1.7.7.1.

I know I did.  But I have no idea of player numbers pre-1.7.7.1 versus post 1.7.7.1.

So that's just a guess.  Also a good guess that many went to Origins and the other mods because they just wanted something other than

"same old Chernarus."  That's normal human behavior.

The stand-alone will have a great advantage due to "interest" in something coming from Rocket, who created the landmark game, DayZ.

Whether that interest stays strong is yet to be seen.  Pretty sure I'll try it out, but I'll wait a while, as I do with most games.

Origins has a lot more than any other DayZ-variant, but Standalone will have more and be able to do way more because they can completely rework the engine and the game to make it suitable, while Origins will always just be a milsim with zombies and base building. Also, my commander says there are about 3.5k  DayZ servers and only 1k Origins, Origins does not outnumber it the slightest.

I only looked for "official" DayZ servers, which is the only thing I played.  Ping of 150.   Got about 160.  Origins about 850.

But I don't know what "official" means with Origins.

You're right about number of servers.  Unticking the "official" box gets +1300 DayZ.  Still looks to be more players on Origins from what I see.

Halfway down the DayZ list the servers are empty.

As I said, I never played Origins.  I hope the stand-alone does well.

If only 10% of the player base from the mod enjoys the standalone more than the mod, the standalone will be a success for those players. The standalone will put more of a focus upon the difficulties of survival which many would describe as tedious. The players that do not enjoy that kind of gameplay will go back to skyrim, arma, bf3, cod, etc.

this game wasn't developed to be a popular mainstream game. It was supposed to he too hardcore for most and rewarding for the few that can cut it.

If they prefer origins, let them stay over there. All I want is one full American server and I'll be more than happy

• Like 1

Well, this is a great topic. 

I've played some origins recently and the base building focus seems to be the key of the mod.

I don't know if the origins fans will be thrilled by SA. 

I'm not sure if fighting deceases will be that big in SA, and I'm not sure either if I think it's good or bad for the game.

As I stated before, I do like to be scared and feel like in "the walking dead" (if you get bitten, you are screwed). Maybe the worst problem in the high infection rate is the glitch zombies. If the zombies behave well (not glitched) in SA, we can have harshness whitout so much frustration. 

Glitches you say?  I just took down an infected with an AK, point blank range.  All center body shots, belly to chest.  Took about 20 rounds.

Also taken as many as 6 head shots to bring one down.  No big deal.  It was on my own vanilla server, and we have about 100 anti-biotics stashed.

I set the loadout to spawn with a 24 slot Coyote containing  24 anti-biotics. 

So infection is a non-issue.

Vanilla 1.7.7.1 anti-biotic spawn is sparse.  We've found 3-4 in about 30 hours of play, with a lot of loot farming.  Luck plays in big time.

Grocery and hospital are the only places we've found them, so far.

Razor stated they can spawn everywhere. Already found them in industrials (construction site), barracks, airfield control tower and once in a firestation. I think since 1.7.7.1 has to many loot piles people never check (because they are new), maybe theres lots of AB untouched everywhere. Maybe I'm wrong. They really are too rare.

I never saw an infected take more than one headshot to die. Talking about regular public hive servers.

Could be I'm missing some head shots.  I get a little nervous around infected, even with all my anti-biotics.

I'll try turning on FRAPS so I can confirm.  Sure seems I've pumped almost a magazine of M9SD into an infected's head before he goes down. 

Maybe he keeps hitting after he's already dead?  Maybe M9SD takes more than one head shot?

Anyway, I'll test and look at it as a "learning experience."  Could save a lot of ammo if you're right.