HelixEffect

Player-made bases/Fortifications

I've seen a fair few threads on the forums about this and how you would do it and so on and so forth but I was recently showing a video by a fellow DayZ player about a mod which would suit the means quite well with a little tweaking perhaps?

As you can see the way they play is very simple but I don't know how easily it would be to impliment it within DayZ, it would however make placing tents, wire-fences etc a lot easier, the whole 'template' thing breaks realism very slightly in the case that even when your pitching a tent or such you have a solid idea of the amount of space/direction its going to take.

Another idea would be that certain items must be within a certain proximity to other items in order for them to work E.G. Spot-lights must be near generators to work and light up the area. It's just a simple idea but seeing this mod made me thing how awesome DayZ would be with such a thing as the only thing I really feel is missing is being able to set-up your own area with a group of players in hopes to setp a solid foothold within your server, it may also push players to stay on a single server rather than hop.

I hate to bump this but I really think it'd be something to get some feed back on. Specifically because there are other mods, similar to DayZ such as the Wasteland mod which allow players to build their own outposts. I really think it'd mix up the maps a bit and make the game a little more varied rather than a constant search for the next item.

+1 on this one! And yet, there should be a limit to how hard and how long a party could camp or secure a spot, otherwise the loners and noobs out there get banned from the good looting places.

Well the camps would be per-server so it'd be more server-side (I'd imagine) than network side. Like vehicles. Also there would be a limit for instance if no one was logged on (sleeping) people could raid it, you'd perhaps have some sorta lock mechanic.