Sign in to follow this  
Rogo Ignoscant

Booby Traps

I was kinda hanging out in DayZ doing my thing when I stumbled over yet another camp in the middle of nowhere, and I wondered to myself 'whats to stop me going in there and looting it up ... someone could log in I guess and shoot me ....'

So as I piled the tent into the handily parked Lada I thought to myself 'if there was booby traps I'd be much more inclined to avoid these sorts of things'.

So ... here's my thoughts (subject to drastic change)

I was thinking with a toolbox and grenades you should be able to boobytrap tents. (identified as boobytraped and can be removed with toolbox). This would add two things to the game, the first - it'd keep peoples grubby mits of my crap (somewhat) and the second is it adds a 'is it trapped, do I take the risk?' element to the game.

Now, before anyone just goes 'people are just gonna get toolkits and take them off your tent' and lets face it your right. The end product is SOME form of protection from those who don't have toolkits. Right now there's nothing stopping anyone from looting any tent they want. And to boobytrap a tent you'd have to use a grenade and possibly some other bits and pieces. But it would add a somewhat different element to the 'tent' playstyle.

This also leads to the possibility of boobytrapped vehicles. (again fixed with a toolbox) It's not ment to STOP people looting your camp. It's just a deterrent for those who stumble across it making them think twice about ransacking and running when they don't have all the equipment they need to do so.

Thoughts?

I like that Idea. Using traps to protect personal gear is nice. Would the trap kill/(serious wound) the player and the destroy the gear? or just the player? I would like to see backpack with a boobytrap.