Sign in to follow this  
raryin

DayZ Animal Instincts mod CONCEPT

Before we begin, I'd just like to mention that I had no idea what to search for to see if this idea was already suggested somewhere so apologies if it's a repeat. In other news, let's get right in to my idea:

DAYZ: ANIMAL INSTINCTS

Similarly to DayZ Origins, you have a choice of character upon spawning, but this time it is a little different: Human OR Beast.

Currently with the limitations of the Arma 2 Engine and whatnot the only viable option for beast is Dog, so I'll use that as my example.

Human features:

-Typical DayZ survivor

-Significantly less military weapons and vehicles available

-New weapons such as Tranquilisers available

-Traps available

- Can render medical assistance to allied beasts

- Can feed / give drink to allied beasts

Animal features:

-Animals roam the world in packs

(using dog as example)

-Player-controlled animals appear with a collar around their neck

-Can hunt small / passive animals for food (boars, pigs, cows etc)

-Can scout for allied humans

-Can track prey for allied humans

-Can recover killed game for allied humans

-Can bark / howl to scare off other animals or to attract attention

-Can lick wounds / sleep to slowly recover blood

-Can enter back seat of vehicles (only ride - no driver seat / gun seats)

Ideally this mod would be set in a different map to Chernarus.

Map features:

-Seasonal changes (affects which animals spawn)

-Caves scattered throughout the map

-Much larger than Chernarus

-Addition of jungles

-Climbable trees

-Animal-friendly vehicles (only for smaller beasts)

Now obviously dogs are not the only animals that can be found in the wild, so having other beasts such as tigers, bears, hawks, leopards and mammoths would add a great deal of detail into the game and could all bring their individual strengths. Eg Hawks can fly and scout.

Edited by Raryin

Are you actually suggesting that players should be able to spawn as animals in the current mod or is this a suggestion for separate mod?

It's a suggestion for a separate mod; it's my personal belief that vanilla DayZ should remain as simple as possible.

interesting concept. From my many years gaming I conclude that concepts are best when they are birthed by those that can follow through with development.

Are you willing and able to do so?

interesting concept. From my many years gaming I conclude that concepts are best when they are birthed by those that can follow through with development.

Are you willing and able to do so?

Sadly, no. I would definitely be willing but my experience and knowledge in development of any kind is very limited and I wouldn't be able to accomplish this idea in it's entirety. Perhaps in the future I will look into it but for now it will have to remain a concept.

I don't think it would be particularly difficult to enable player-controller dogs - would it not just be a player with a dog skin and adjusted attacks and interaction options (like inability to pick up items, doing "human" tasks etc) Has this not already been done with the player-controlled zombies in DayZ Epoch?

Edited by Raryin

What does everyone think? Good idea or is it too different from current DayZ to work well?

The concept would definitely be easy to implement. You have to worry about everyone spawning as a dog though, there needs to be a mechanic where everyone would be able to play as a dog, but not right away.

The concept would definitely be easy to implement. You have to worry about everyone spawning as a dog though, there needs to be a mechanic where everyone would be able to play as a dog, but not right away.

Perhaps it is random, then? Eg you have a low percentage chance of turning into a dog when you spawn. Alternatively it could be based on "reincarnation"....for example you have to seek out and kill a wild dog as a human, then upon death you respawn as a dog.

Being turned into a zombie as a dog would be interesting........