stickyJedi

Suggestion on how to balance Zed aggro and pvp (Long)

Hello,

I have a (simple) suggestion on how to balance Zed aggro and player killing in one swoop. I apologise in advance if this has already been suggested.

Suggestion:

1: Zed should have much increased gunshot detection range in (two levels) and immedately start moving to that location either to investigate or be on full aggro depending on the range from gunshot.

2: Zed should have pre 1.7.1.1 sensitivity to player movement speed, visibility and sound levels.

3: Zed should do current or higher levels of damage. In other words be really nasty.

Elaboration on point 1:

The current range at which the zed aggro on a gunshot should be kept as is or even increased. But a further range should also be added at which zed dont aggro but just go to investigate.

[EDIT] Silenced weapons could make zed come and investigate if they are close enough, maybe.

Example situations and reasoning:

Aggro level 2 = Current aggro (fully aware running snarling trying to kill the player)

Aggro level 1 = Investigate (Drawn to sound, investigates)

Situation 1 - PVE:

A new player spawns, and goes exploring for a weapon. He finds a gun and is shortly thereafter discovered and aggroed by zed because of some poor stealth choices. He uses his Makarov to dispatch the aggroed zed.

As soon as he fires his weapon zed aggro at level 2 precisely as it is right now, but zed from further out (200 - 300 m? Basically the zero on most long weapons) have also been alerted and are now converging on that location on aggro level 1.

The player knows he can’t stay at this location and has to move fast, he knows that he has to use stealth to not aggro approaching zed to level 2.

A shot rings out from another direction all zed that hear it Go to either level 1 or 2 depending on range, maybe some of the zed approaching the player to investigate have now been diverted in another direction.

Situation 2 - PVP:

Player/Bandit is perched in a sniper position, overlooking a popular loot location. He spots a likely victim looting or standing still and fires his weapon. What would now happen is that, Immediately, Zed from all around (200 - 300 m? Basically the zero on most long weapons) start moving in on his position.

Sniper knows he has to leave his position or run the risk of aggroing zed. If he wants to player kill and do it safely he has to increase his range at the cost of accuracy.

Discussion and inspiration:

The inspiration is from the book World War Z. In the book, if a shot was fired or a zed aggroed at all, it would start loudly moaning, alerting al zed in a looong range. This would basically create a train of zed potentially miles long converging on one location.

I propose but a fraction of this, which should be possible with current existing game mechanics.

This would ensure that no one would player kill without seriously considering the consequences if his actions. Am i in a building with only one exit? How many zed are around town? Can i get out quickly enough? Can i be stealthy getting out? Is it worth killing this player for his stuff or the thrill? Maybe coexistence if more beneficial, after all i can always follow him to the woods and maybe get him there.

This would truly make the towns and built up areas the domain of the Zed, where players need to coexist, and the wilderness would become the no rules areas.

I also think it would enable emergent game play tactics like diversions, intentionally alerting zedz to a specific location and other interesting mechanics.

If you read this far the i thank you for considering my humble suggestion.

My vote for this idea. The aggro levels are almost exactly as I imagined my self, so no need for me to explain it better. It sounds realistic and it sounds perfect for gameplay.

I'm all the way that this idea should be provided a change in the alpha at some point!

+1 Agree, yes please. Honestly I think the range for aggro level 1 (investigate) should be as far as the sound can be heard by human players. That way, any gunfire is going to draw undead from a huge radius and sustained gunfire will get more and more to jump up to aggro level 2 (attack) as they shamble into the range that triggers it.

+5 Absolutely.

I (as well as a group of friends) also think the zombies should respawn about 2-3x slower, hit harder, move a bit slower, and there should be more of them.

I like it. It would force users to be more strategic in how and when they use their firearms.

Read the whole thing and i gotta say this is one of few suggestions i actually like :) Although the 1.7.1.4 seems to use this or a similar mechanic with zeds searching for you rather than running right at you, im sure something could be done to improve their searching behavior.

+1

This sounds like fun and makes a lot of sense!

+1

Interesting idea and certainly would bring something to a game that likes to focus on realism, as who would fire a gun in a zombie infested town without having to worry about attracting the zombies. Really well thought out idea, I like it.

This idea could be expanded entirely to the whole 'sound' system.

Basically if a zombie hears you(while running for example) it goes to aggro state one, turns around and tries to look for you, in, for example, a 140 degree arc aimed in your direction. The arc could be widened/narrowed depending on the amount of sound you make and the distance between you and the zombie.

Thay way sound would ONLY ever trigger aggro level one, while a zombie seeing you would trigger level two. Because honestly, when you hear gunshots from another player, you know their general direction but you can't exactly pinpoint their location.

As for the zombies moaning and alerting other zombies, I don't exactly get what you mean, but I think a good(although probably difficult to implement) way to do this is to make a nearby zombie follow the zombie that moaned. So zombie 1 noticed a shot, moans, zombie 2 hears this, moans and follows zombie 1, zombie 3 & 4 hear this, moan and follow zombie 2.

200-300m seems to much for me.. what about 100-200?