Sign in to follow this  
Lightvision (DayZ)

Standalone and Xbox

Hey all

i know that Rocke mentioned that they would not support releasing standalone to xbox due to no self publishing and the cost of game updates. However, there is away to bypass this and you may ask how?

well its simple. first of all the self publishing is a downfall BUT this will not be needed. if anyone here has played Final Fantasy XI online you will know you can play FFXI online without the requirement of xbox live gold. the way Square Enix went around this was the use of PlayOnline.

PlayOnline, at first delt with thier billing but was later phased out to a new online billing system. but PlayOnline managed all the updates for PlayOnline and the game itself meaning the updates was controlled by the developer using the develpoer's resources and not microsofts and didnt have to get MS to publish any updates for them. PlayOnline was simply a launcher that was on all 3 platforms, xbox, PC and PS2. there where lots of updates for FFXI monthly from once a months to upto 8-9 times a month

if Rocket simply develops a similar system to Playonline they can allow updates for standalone at their own pleasure minus the xbox update costs. this also allows for the possibility for allowing all platforms to play on same severs too as the launher/bridge ties into the 1 system. i donnot know any specifics behind the scenes that square enix went though or how PlayOnline worked as a whole but this would be a possibility for Standalone to appear on xbox if Rocket changes his mind and decided to go down this route.

this provides food for thought in terms of developing for xbox and hopefully rocket reads this and can rethink his decision, depending on what MS would have to say about the developer handling their own updates.

tl:dr

Rocket should develop a launcher to work on all 3 platforms that handles updates, logins, etc. Manage his own client updates via the launcher so that MS is not needed for pushing updates. provides larger playerbase, no need to pay MS for pushing updates etc.

Thanks for reading, feel free to comment away

I doubt that Microsoft would let him do it. They'd want a big slice of whatever he makes on the xbox one version. DayZ won't release on PS4 till it's at least in a finished/final state, so he's got a couple of years to work out a comprimise with microsoft!

Microsoft sucks. Anyways it'd be nice if the console crowd got to play DayZ, just have to wonder how it would play.

xbox, PC and PS2.

This is a loophole from over 8 years old?how do you know nothing's been done to stop this?

• Like 1

No. Microsoft are money grabbing pricks. DayZ SA needs to be, if at all, released on PS4, not the Xbox One.

• Like 2

I do not think such loop holes still exist. Microsoft needs to change their policies on this in order for it to work.

No. Microsoft are money grabbing pricks. DayZ SA needs to be, if at all, released on PS4, not the Xbox One.

I do not agree with this. Even if microsoft has some large profit margins it is still good for DayZ. It will only mean more money for the PC

version of DayZ. However bohemia WILL need to license the DayZ title because if they start developing for multiple platforms then the PC

version WILL suffer.

Hmm, I am not so sure if the complexity of the game would be playable on the Xbox, unless you can use a Keyboard. Otherwise they will have to develop a special UI.

But like mentioned, I hardly doubt Microsoft will let that happen, and creating their own online system might be expensive and time consuming, I wonder if maybe Bohemia would have a say in this.

Though it would open and bring in a huge new amount of players.

Just FYI: Microsoft is getting rid of the charge on developers for title updates, so this isn't something you have to worry about anymore.

Just FYI: Microsoft is getting rid of the charge on developers for title updates, so this isn't something you have to worry about anymore.

Where did you see that?

Where did you see that?

myself heard it on an episode of remag or inside gaming I can't remember which one. Edited by Blondedash

On Xbox 360 yes. Not sure how it applies on Xbox One.

On Xbox 360 yes. Not sure how it applies on Xbox One.

all signs point to yes :P same as the points system going away.

Who wants to play Dayz with a console anyway, ick. I want to be able to play custom maps and DayZ mods, like Origins. Not to mention all the complex controls like facial gestures. How are you gonna do all that with only 12 buttons?

MS has State of Decay which will be an mmo on the xbox one, why would they need DayZ. They have half the ideas already and in 1-2yrs with their cloud servers will no doubt have an always online "xbox one" version of DayZ in Sod. PS4 is Dean and Co's best shot but even then it will need some major work to get around the keyboard/mouse issue.

It's all a very long way off what even system they may or may not choose.

Who wants to play Dayz with a console anyway, ick. I want to be able to play custom maps and DayZ mods, like Origins. Not to mention all the complex controls like facial gestures. How are you gonna do all that with only 12 buttons?

Er....... All the console players who don't have a pc?

• Like 1

As much as I would love to have my zombies on a console, I enjoy the fact that its not. Being on the CPU it has more of an ability to grow. Consoles tend to limit growth when it comes to "Smaller" games (Yes that is used loosly. Its just a compairison). Theres a lot less content for games on the xbox like Dayz then say on someplace like Steam. And im not saying this because im "Pro pc gaming" I actually am an avid Console gamer. Id just rather see my favorite game stick to its roots and have more of a chance to grow rather than the ability to crash and burn.

• Like 1

As much as I would love to have my zombies on a console, I enjoy the fact that its not. Being on the CPU it has more of an ability to grow. Consoles tend to limit growth when it comes to "Smaller" games (Yes that is used loosly. Its just a compairison). Theres a lot less content for games on the xbox like Dayz then say on someplace like Steam. And im not saying this because im "Pro pc gaming" I actually am an avid Console gamer. Id just rather see my favorite game stick to its roots and have more of a chance to grow rather than the ability to crash and burn.

Agreed. I've got nothing against consoles either. Luckily Rocket has made it pretty clear that DayZ will be developed for the PC. If it is ported in the future they will outsource it to another company so it won;t really affect the SA or it's development at all. If it ends up being a shite port then it doesn't affect us (PC gamers) in any way.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1