Invrlose

New player just can't get into this game...

So in the case where I catch an infection with no antibiotics what should I do? And how do I deal with random snipers shooting me

I get myself to a location where I can find my body, and die. ZAP! Full health and starting gear. But you pay by running back to your body.

Since I'm building survival gear, I stay on public servers, and only enter ones very low population.

I can tell you it took me about 10 hours game play to get "a little comfortable" with my gear.

About 4-5 deaths, none by a shooter. Still don't have an axe, knife, or matches.

This game isn't meant for the "casual" player if he plays vanilla 1.7.7.1.

Takes too much time.

If you want it easier, try US 1720. It's not "official." The loadout has ALL your "survivor" gear, including map.

Think it also has a 1911.

I played it for a while, but will probably leave that character there, because I want my character and gear kept on the public hive. Gives you more options. Actually thought it was "official" because of the "US."

Then I got to thinking about the loadout and checked it with Commander.

"Official" loadout is one bandage and flares. That's why it's taken me 10 hours to get partially geared.

Lots of proning around zeds, waiting for them to pass by, etc.

Can't say how the players are there. The 2 others on were friendly, but they were never close enough to me to shoot me. The key to not getting shot is low pop servers.

1.7.7.1 is hard to gear up, so a noob should make it easy on himself getting his feet wet.

But I'd stick with 1.7.7.1, because that's your future if you stick it out.

So in the case where I catch an infection with no antibiotics what should I do? And how do I deal with random snipers shooting me

you die,lose everything,come back a little wiser,then die again,then find a better server

How do you do that? I ran for 30 mins last night and only found empty cans and chemlifghts and stuff. Then I died of another stupid infection

Recognising where you are when you start, knowing where the best things can be found for lowest risk etc. If you are on a low pop server then you can chance Cherno or Elecktro (if not, head north via deerstands and barns), where you can follow a circuit ie firestation/pub/church/supermarket etc. If you can get far enough away (head to industrial areas for hatchet/toolkit) then back and hit firestations/supermarkets again for bigger packs, matches and hunting knives... I leave hospitals until last as they are tricky - you have to ditch zeds by line of sight rather than passing through buildings. Always crouch run until spotted then sprint through a building with two exits if need be. Crawl only if absolutely necessary, it takes too long to get up if you need to run. Lastly, give zeds plenty of space, never pass close to them and head in the opposite direction to tight groups of them. Hope this helps.

How do you do that? I ran for 30 mins last night and only found empty cans and chemlifghts and stuff. Then I died of another stupid infection

The second you have an infection you may as well just stand there, getting punched by zombies to keel over and die. Find your body again if you managed to loot anything before the infection molested you. the suggestion to trade, scavenge or kill for antibiotics is good, or it would be if the spawn rate on them wasn't a measly 2%. It literally took me 10 hours to find 1 antibiotic on an almost empty server. During that time I died 7 or so times due to the infection. The moral of the story is, right now the infection is just terrible, you get it? Commit suicide or get a friend to kill you, then run back to your body again.

Try to avoid the Viral zombies (Their clothes are a shade darker than their 'normal' counter-parts and they have some blood on their faces and shirts). Cross your fingers that you don't get punched through walls or encounter 'no-clip' zombies who run literally through a building with their top half intruding from the floors. Move as slow as a 95 year old one legged woman with a Zimmer-frame to avoid zombies. Enter all possible buildings cautiously, look for item spawn outside (most commonly guarded by an idle zombie just sitting on the piles like it's their eggs).

If you come across a player, scream "FRIENDLY" as often as you can in direct chat and hope they allow you passage without first shooting you. NEVER pick up a baseball bat. They do 899 blood damage per swing, it will literally damage you more than zombies. I would say use flares, empty cans and chem-lights to distract zombies, but as of late I've found that they do nothing. If a zombie does happen to catch a glimpse of the flair it will saunter to it. Look at it for no longer than 3 seconds, then shuffle back to its starting position.

Any other tips? The dilemma I have is that I can never find basic supplies like beans or drink. And when I have to run places it only makes it worse. I spawned in kamenka last night and went east to ballota, I looted every town on the way and found 1 can and 2 cokes. After balota I went to the swaf, picked up an m16 and later dropped it for an m4. Some random jerk shot at me with an enfield in the middle of the airfield so I shot him until he collapsed and let the zombies finish him off. But from there I walked to elektro, and couldn't find supplies again. I died of hunger. This was on a night server by the way I just turned brightness and gamma all the way up.

Edited by Invrlose

Well I just had the best run so far. i went to a server with 0 people on (except for myself) and it was night so I just turned the brightness and gamma up and viola. I spawned right near elektro, I looted 4 pepsis a bunch of sardines and medical supplies (Although now Im out of bandages) a shotgun, map, binoculars, and compass. Now I'm not sure what to do, looting seems too risky without bandages.

There is another post in this subsection where I wrote tips. Check it out. Here is a couple more.

1. Going to electro is bad news, unless you are looking for pvp action. Electro is more active in terms of pvp than cherno with the new patch.

2. Dealing with snipers. If its in the woods, you need to use the trees as cover, most trees provide perfect protection from gunfire. Do not blindly run away. You can try to locate him and sneak up on him. If you are pinned down and you have nothing, wait out the timer and combat log (since you waited, its fine). Snipers rarely close in and nothing pisses them off more than losing you as an easy bambi. If you are in main cities, you will just have to learn from experience where snipers are likely to be. There are usually 4-6 places where snipers like to camp, either within the city or nearby. Once you know those locations, you can scout them out before moving around.

3. Antibotics. It's easier to find them in barracks and the medical tents than hospitals. I hear balota is a good place to find some nowadays. I don't know, since the easier place for me to find med supplies is off other players.

4. The best tip for a beginner is to join a non-bandit clan. The game is so much better when you are playing with others. It's very hard not to get killed when you are playing alone because, just the glitches alone in the game, are enough to kill you.

Edited by boatie

Well I just had the best run so far. i went to a server with 0 people on (except for myself) and it was night so I just turned the brightness and gamma up and viola. I spawned right near elektro, I looted 4 pepsis a bunch of sardines and medical supplies (Although now Im out of bandages) a shotgun, map, binoculars, and compass. Now I'm not sure what to do, looting seems too risky without bandages.

You don't have any choice. Bandages are loot. Work your way in the tree line to the hill north of Cherno hospital. Charge in fast and shoot out the windows. If loot hasn't spawned, run like hell up the hill about 100 yards and then back in again.

Should find some bandages. But like everything else, you mostly find them when you don't need them.

Get out and lose zed agro running up the hill, or however you want to do it so you can safely log out by the hospital.

This is where public hives have an advantage, but I don't know if you're using them.

Find another low pop public server and log in. You'll have the gear you collected, and a new hospital with its own spawn chances to try again.

You're gonna die anyway, so the most important thing when you do is get back to your body and reclaim what gear you've accumulated. You don't want to lose that. Near Cherno hospital is a good place.

The apartments there also provide loot, but you really want to prone out and watch zed movement in and out of the apartments before you crawl in. Get upstairs, and if you hear a zed coming in, wait crouched in a corner of the top floor balcony until he leaves.

Without an axe or silenced weapon that's the name of that game. If one comes in and spots you, lead him around the rooms until the stair way is empty, then get the hell out.

Shooting your shotgun there will be suicide unless you have a WHOLE lot of ammo.

I have asked a friend who doesn't play on public hives to let me harvest his band aids a few times. Then I think my next move is to start looting deer stands (I can actually do this now that I have a map) another question I have is this: when someone has a ridiculous amount of good stuff what do they do so they minimize the risk of losing it? Is there a way to store your valuable items

For now just go slow.

Stay away from all big towns.

Learn to spot viral from normal zeds.

Control everything you do.

Attack on your terms and your terms only.

If you need to run by all means run but only in the direction you came from the amount who get killed for running down roads is just plan insane.

Stay away from roads if you must cross a road again do it on your terms with as much stealth as you can.

Every step we try to make you make mistakes the more mistakes you make the more you pay the price. As for most comments about giving up why play if all your going to do is give up. Games are only as good as players make them if you wish to have everything handed to you and just run and gun DayZ might not be for you.

• Like 2

1: Don't cry

2: You joined at a bad time; lots of players complain the current update (1.7.7.1 or ...2 or whatever) is absolutely devoid of loot because Rocket wanted to make things more rare, and lots of players are throwing a hissy fit. I don't get it, as I find guns like normal...but whatever.

3: That's the thrill of the game. You live, you die, you restart. It's exciting! Ulcer inducing! Causes psychosomatic injuries with long term, late-life threatening impacts! :)

4: If you want to be like the "Cool kids" (streamers, most players) play on cheats private hive servers with extra spawns on vehicles/gear to get the hang of the game. If you notice, most of your popular players (Frankie, etc) use Skype, Team Speak, Mumble, Steam Chat, or something else to stay in touch. They let their "Friends" do the looting, meet up with them, and get assault rifles and ghillie suits with zero effort.

5: If you can't be convinced to play, can I have your CD keys? I'd love to have a backup copy of the game. Too many CD stealers on the internet to have just one. Plus I've got a friend with more patience than you. :)

---PS, I'm a DayZ vet, and I almost quit as well... back when loot spawns were twice as good and there were 15 AKs and M16s in every town (exaggerating, of course). The game only gets harder as time goes on, but you get better at it. I'm only going to say this once (and please don't ban me :) ) but Rocket was an idiot when he coded/approved the disease system in the mod. The Stand Alone, however, is going to be incredible (I hope) at dealing with infections. If you start coughing, take 2-3 antibiotics from your local hospital/player (your shooting skills sound pretty good if you're new and killed 3 players cheating through TS or whatever)

• Like 1

5: If you can't be convinced to play, can I have your CD keys?

oNXcGcC.jpg

Rocket was an idiot when he coded/approved the disease system in the mod.

Xw7VFhz.jpg

Games are only as good as players make them if you wish to have everything handed to you and just run and gun DayZ might not be for you.

Wow that is not at all what I meant. But thanks for the other advice. The first half of your post was helpful and I appreciate the advice I think the latter part of your comment maybe came from confusion or lack of communication on my part.

Update to my current status in game: to avoid being capped by snipers I've started playing empty servers. Tonight I looted 4 drinks, some useful tools, *MAP* binoculars, a Remington 870(not my favourite but it'll have to do for now) and some other supplies. I will have to make a tough choice as now I have no bandages at all and I am too scared to even attempt to loot any and risk all my progress. I also have matches and a pile of wood I think I'm going to have myself a nice barbecue soon (I lost a lot of blood when I was bleeding and didnt have time to bandaid myself :s)

your shooting skills sound pretty good if you're new and killed 3 players cheating through TS or whatever)
well I would like to think my ability when it comes to convential fps (in terms of gun play, positioning, etc.) is a bit beyond average. I am a pretty seasoned gamer I just have never experienced anything like dayz and I have to admit it is quite thrilling now that I have some of the basics figured out.

3: That's the thrill of the game. You live, you die, you restart. It's exciting! Ulcer inducing! Causes psychosomatic injuries with long term, late-life threatening impacts! :)

Great line and this is right you live you die, it's survival harsh reality,

i'm playing on a server where your starting gear is just a bandage and flares, that's it i had a good run learning not to get near Zeds treating them as the main threat to my life, i ended up infected(my own mistake) couldn't find antibiotics for love or money. i died in the end, oh well now to start the thrill ride all over again.

And OP stick with it i found it tricky to play months ago when i was a new player, it's a lot harder more harsh now, make your own story, if you die 20 time so be it we all learn and adapt to any given situation is human nature.

seriously patience is the key

Edited by Crazy one

Today I had a good run earlier where I found an m4 in the same army base, some stanags, an alice pack, and then when I was running to elektro my character started to bleed from a zed, I had no bandages and died as a result. I made sure my body died where it was hidden and ran back to it and got my m4 back... But then someone randomly shot me without warning

Mate it's not like people warn you before shooting you.

Yes I started with one bandage and flares as well. It is because you are on an official server, I didn't want the artificial experience of playing on a private hive.

Mate it's not like people warn you before shooting you.
well the logic behind shooting a fresh spawn other than to be a dick evades me.

Yes I started with one bandage and flares as well. It is because you are on an official server, I didn't want the artificial experience of playing on a private hive.

And that's why i favourited it and play on it, the server gives me the purest Day Z survivor exerience i can get

well the logic behind shooting a fresh spawn other than to be a dick evades me.

Just being devil's advocate here, not saying that I kill anyone, but fresh spawns do have up to 2 bandages. And that seems to be the thing you have trouble finding.

Just being devil's advocate here, not saying that I kill anyone, but fresh spawns do have up to 2 bandages. And that seems to be the thing you have trouble finding.

Well not necesarily trouble finding, it's just the risk is so high venturing out with no bandaids. When I get off work a friend is giving me his :)

If i get caught out with infection and no antibiotics the first thing i do is go hunting and fill my inventory with meat from animals,This will considerably extend the time you have to find antibiotics.

As you play pay attention to where you see animals spawn as there are certain hotspots where you can almost guarantee to find them, here's one for free, there's a small town just north of Elektro called Pusta, on the north side of Pusta is a sloped field that usually has a load of animals.

Now of course ideally you want a hatchet, knife and matches to go hunting.

If you dont have a hatchet you can usually find piles of wood in farm buildings and supermarkets, you still need to kill the animal though, but any weapon will do for that.

If you dont have matches then the only way to cook the meat is to find an oil barrel, these can be lit without matches but are often found burning,

Cherno is a good place to go for these. there's one inside the large half built factory building on the east side of town.

another behind the eastern hospital a load in the central industrial area and one in the garden of a house near the store on the west side of town.

Now if you dont have a knife it does get tricky as there's no other way to gut an animal. best places to find one are industrial and residential,

To keep yourself going while searching you're probably going to have to kill some zeds they often have food,drink bandages and pistol ammo on them.

Lure some into a building and take them out preferably with a melee weapon, but if you're a confident shot use a pistol and aim for the head to conserve ammo, the large industrial units with the blue doors are good for this as you have plenty of room to keep them at a safe distance.

If you are thorough and search every loot pile you're going to find what you need eventually, but dont take stupid risk's, if you see a hatchet in an industrial unit but its surrounded by zeds dont just rush in there hoping to grab it and run, chances are you'll get slapped, instead find a way to distract them, flares are great for this, throw them past the zeds away from the loot and they will slowly walk over to investigate. then you can sneak in.

At the end of the day its all about experience, you have to learn where the loot is and learn how to deal with zeds.

Hope this helps

Oh, and as far as snipers are concerned that comes down to experience as well, try to think where you would be if you were sniping, then make sure to never stay still when in clear view from those locations.

Edited by Fluxley

Industrials tend to have plenty of bandaids. To avoid aggro zombies run to a pine tree that has branches to the ground get as close to the trunk as possible and they will walk up an turn around and walk off.

very simple,

what I did was, starting to play on low populated servers. That way you can get the hang of the game without getting your head shot off every 3 seconds. + once an item is looted it takes about 10 min for it to respawn if there's no-one around, so if you're in a high populated server city's like Cherno or Elektro are very possible to now have any loot at all

I think one of the best pieces of advice is not taking big risks. I have a severe problem of doing that, and it often gets me killed. However, that's how it goes. I'm not interested in killing other players, so I don't care about getting big guns or whatever. My goal right now is to just find antibiotics and blood bags to help other people. So I try to figure out the best way to get to hospitals and other places that might have medical supplies. I've determined that I'm not very good at being a ninja, so I try to concentrate on big buildings where I can get away from the zeds. Instead of going in a door (when being chased by zombies), I run by it and look sideways to make sure it has a separate exit. If not, I don't go in because I will get trapped. I'm learning to not climb ladders either, unless I haven't aggro'd anything. I've gotten myself into a couple sticky situations by climbing up to a scaffold only to learn there's not a ladder at the other end. That's not good if a zombie follows you up the first ladder.

I also tend to stick around a city too long and get the entire population of zombies chasing me. That's a bad strategy. I have much better luck when I go in, hit a couple good spots, then get out of dodge. Go check a couple buildings outside of town, let everything get back to normal, then come back if you want to try again.

Hunting is a great tip. So glad I figured that out. Although, but sure you're not in range of zeds. I made the mistake of shooting a goat with a Lee Enfield right next to a heli crash site. Who knew so many zombies were around?! But yeah, I much prefer hunting to silly cans of food. Normally I start my life by trying to find the matches/axe/knife/weapon combo and then go fill up on meat.

My only other bit of wisdom: just don't give a crap. Not everyone can do this or wants to do this. But it's how I deal. I just don't care. If I die, oh well. I will either go try to reclaim my body (if it's not too far) or I just start over. I figure one of these days I'll have the ultimate successful loot run and get so stocked up that I can go set up a stash or tent and start collecting goods. Until then, I just die and learn. I'm a complete noob, so I still get lost in pretty much every city, I have to look at an online map when I spawn to figure out where to go, and I have to take an abnormal amount of time to lose zombies chasing me. At this point, I figure why worry. Once I have a better grasp on the game as a whole, I might decide to start having longer lives. Until then, it's party time.