Dchil

Anybody else learning to read russian?

I think it is weird that because of a game i am learning to read a foreign language. My desire to learn this is compounded by the fact that i believe alttabbing to a map is cheating [not saying you shouldn't do it, i just don't think it is right] and i have no idea how to find where i am once i get a map in game.

So is anyone else learning cyrillic because of this game?

Edited by Dchil

No. I usually know where i am because i know the cities at the coast once i see where i spawned.

Also i can't see the reason to learn cyrillic only to use it in a videogame

Well i have only played for about a day so i have no idea where i am half the time after i leave the spawn.

Then again i usually try to learn things for weird reasons, i once wanted to learn japanese so i could read manga and watch anime without having to wait for it to be subbed or not being able to finish the story because it was never subbed. That and i like japanese cars so i though getting parts and learning about them would be easier if i could read and speak the language.

I still don't know even basic japanese to this day.

Edited by Dchil

Learning a language (or only reading it) might become handy in real life as well. Russian is my second maternal language and I'm pleased that I can fully read, speak & understand it. Actually it might be pretty interesting to play when you have no idea where you are.

I know the greek and latin alphabets, so it took relatively few extra characters learned plus some solid guessing to read a road sign. Comes handy.

Learning a language (or only reading it) might become handy in real life as well. Russian is my second maternal language and I'm pleased that I can fully read, speak & understand it. Actually it might be pretty interesting to play when you have no idea where you are.

It is, especially when you know you are in a place like electro and zeleno and all of a sudden you hear or read "friendly in electro?" and you have no idea if that means you need to respond or not. That stuff can mean you die from accident.

I don't have a desire to completely learn the language, but I do know enough now to get around Chenarus.

However though, you can still find your way around with an in-game map without knowing Russian. Beyond waypoint triangulation, just look for landmarks and shapes in the landscape and roads. You'll get the hang of it, everyone does.

I had a quick scout around over a couple of days and picked up enough to be able to translate the roadsigns, but I doubt I'll ever get round to learning much more than that unless the need arises.

As HerrJon says, the easier way to know where you are is to learn the art of fixing your position on a map - that way you won't have to learn a whole new language every time you wind up in a different locale, but if you can supplement that skill with the ability to read the road signs, then so much the better. :)

I studied russian for a little while

As an American it'll be very hard to retain it and remember the words. The alphabet is easy to learn but itll still take you a while to read words simply because you can't instantly recognize them.

I looked up their alphabet and what sounds they translate to in relation to english, so that I could read some of the signs/maps (Even though I don't play yet). I also started learning israel so that I could decode that stupid bomb thing in arma II.

Edited by kingofcrafting4

Yes I want to, but I've always been interested in learning russian for that matter.

Ha! So I'm not the only one attempting to learn Cyrillic. Its not too difficult, you just need some flash cards and a bit of time to be able to comprehend the alphabet. Luckily Cyrillic consists of about the same amount of letters as that of the English language as well as having similar letters so its no a huge learning curve like Japanese or Chinese. The problem happens when you glance at a sign and think you read it correctly but you were a bit off...happened to me today and I figured out a little later that I was on the opposite side of where I thought I was =P. By the way OP...if you still want to learn Japanese, I found this site helpful: http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/

I played metro 2033 in russian....does that count?

Yeah, actually. I recognize the town names now in cryllic. Also games like stalker and metro taught me a few small Russian phrases. I know "be careful" and I understand a few cuss words and exclamations. I also really love Russian and Czech films.