Sign in to follow this  
CellularArrest

New zombie AI not fun.

I know this has been posted a million times, but..

This game isn't fun anymore. New zombie AI is not fun.

Might as well run through town, they're gonna aggro on you anyway.

Stole this from reddit because it pretty much sums it all up.

"Here's my thoughts on the current build:

Zombies aren't fun to fight. They zig zag with the glitchiest pathing, and you're almost forced to let them close in on you (and risk getting hit), so you can get a decent shot off in their attack "animation". Add to this their wonky hitboxes (lunging indoors from yards away and hitting you, despite taking plenty of killshots) and they are a huge annoyance.

It was not a big deal up until now because zombies were avoidable and dealing with them was your "punishment" for making a mistake or being careless. Zeds do not aggro on mistakes now, they just aggro. Through buildings, behind walls, across the map... it is inevitable that you will be fighting them; might as well sprint through town and glitch them out through/on structures, while doing a mad grab of any loot you can find. This isn't what drew us to DayZ."

I know this has been posted a million times

that's where you should have stopped making ANOTHER thread and just added your thoughts to one of the MANY other threads on this topic. Seriously, most of the people on here have never used a forum before, we need to put a giant sticky with rules up....

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10171 ... Oh look , it's right there.

you sir just said everything i wanted to say...

i hope that the Dev's see this and reply

i played in the night and when i crouch the hearing thing is just like when i sprint! :S

and when i prone there is still some sound you have to held the shift so there is no sound :S

and when the zombies see's you they are like see you from the other city :S

before this update dealing with other players was the most difficult thing to do

but now i am more worried about dealing with zombies than players xD

i really think they should change it like before

another thing

when we die and respawn you only have a bandage and a painkiller :S

i know its making the game more hard but i think if they give a makarov with less mags than before it would be better and one cock and beans it doesn't have to be a bottle

i am sorry for saying this but those things makes me hate the mod right now...

but...what? we had lot of fun yesterday with friends playing gainst the new uber zombies.Wtf you talking about?

hoooo i see, YOU feel it's not fun !

cool story

but...what? we had lot of fun yesterday with friends playing gainst the new uber zombies.Wtf you talking about?

hoooo i see' date=' YOU feel it's not fun !

cool story

[/quote']

you are a kind of a player that plays with a group of people but when you play alone and you don't know who's out there and you are cautious not to open fire unless it is very necessary then you might hate the new way of zombies detecting you

am just saying that they should make their sense less

Its just an experiment we all have to live or die with these super-Zs. If its "not working" (Rocket & devs) will sort it and we can continue to have the fun we all want.... Think its just making alot of players rethink and ajust there playstyle, which some find hard.

When the zombies were as, quite frankly, harmless as they were before the the last few patches, THOUSANDS of people complained that the only thing fun to do in the game was PVP and that's the reason why everyone was killing each other. People complained that the game wasn't fun because it had become a "deathmatch" and zombies seemed to have little impact on what went on between the players.

Rocket responded by making the infected legitimately harder to deal with so there would be some incentive to play cooperatively and now people are complaining the game isn't fun because the zombies are too hard.

Personally, I can say that rockets solution worked for me at least, I have taken part in more cooperative play with randoms recently (just in the last 2 days) than I ever have in this mod because of the recent changes. Playing coop with a bunch of randoms using nothing but direct chat VOIP has made the game more fun for me than it ever has been before these last few patches. I never played coop before these patches because I didn't need to and I had fun and managed to survive without it, now I do need to play coop if I want to have fun and survive, so now I play coop, it's that simple.

You want to survive and have fun in this mod? Then fucking adapt. Ever heard of evolution? That's what evolution is all about, the most evolved creature is the one that can adapt the easiest to a changing environment.

This mod isn't about catering to all sorts of different play styles, it's about that one word, SURVIVAL.

Get with it.

I don't know about fun or not fun, but I know I don't even bother trying to stealth anymore.

You're *going* to be found by other players if you prone crawl around for an hour or toss tin cans around -- just better off sweeping the tree lines, hitting the city fast and hard, and getting out ASAP.

It's a shame because I used to really enjoy crouching around in cities only to realize that there are other survivors sneaking around like rats as well (only less carefully than me, they forget that you shouldn't just be sneaking b/c of ZOMBIES :D).

When the zombies were as' date=' quite frankly, harmless as they were before the the last few patches, THOUSANDS of people complained that the only thing fun to do in the game was PVP and that's the reason why everyone was killing each other. People complained that the game wasn't fun because it had become a "deathmatch" and zombies seemed to have little impact on what went on between the players.

Rocket responded by making the infected legitimately harder to deal with so there would be some incentive to play cooperatively and now people are complaining the game isn't fun because the zombies are too hard.

Personally, I can say that rockets solution worked for me at least, I have taken part in more cooperative play with randoms recently (just in the last 2 days) than I ever have in this mod because of the recent changes. Playing coop with a bunch of randoms using nothing but direct chat VOIP has made the game more fun for me than it ever has been before these last few patches. I never played coop before these patches because I didn't need to, now I do, so now I play coop, it's that simple.

You want to survive and have fun in this mod? Then fucking adapt. Ever heard of evolution? That's what evolution is all about, the most evolved creature is the one that can adapt the easiest to a changing environment.

Get with it.

[/quote']

this - totally this. I don't mind some tweaking, but thannk fuck the zeds are dangerous again. I seriously have to go stealth now. I just raided pusta and aggro'd two zeds. I was near a house so retreated in and killed with makarov. There were plenty of other zeds and they didn't come running.

Seems just fine to me - but you need patience.... or some friends.

Personally' date=' I can say that rockets solution worked for me at least, I have taken part in more cooperative play with randoms recently (just in the last 2 days) than I ever have in this mod because of the recent changes. Playing coop with a bunch of randoms using nothing but direct chat VOIP has made the game more fun for me than it ever has been before these last few patches. I never played coop before these patches because I didn't need to, now I do, so now I play coop, it's that simple.

[/quote']

I wonder if those two playstyles (sneaking & co-op) are simply in conflict with one another. If you're able to sneak around you simply won't team up with randoms?

I have a group I play with and I find them invaluable, so I don't see why anyone *wouldn't* group up. But I definitely feel like something was lost with the zed changes -- pre-patch randoms would be in the same city and not even know it b/c of stealth, but that playstyle just seems pretty pointless now.

I have NO problem at all with the zeds spotting me from longer distances away in the day time. Learn to prone, learn to creep and peek.

What I do have problems with are the terrible attack animations, annoying soldier like run animations which force me to let them hit me, just so I can line up a good shot (ammo not plentiful enough to make the risk of shooting them from afar worth it). Add that to the fact that I can dodge in and around multiple buildings now and break zombie LOS with 2 different corners, yet they hear my footsteps after LOS has broken and run right to me, just the same as the 1.6 homing missile AI.

Right now I just sprint top speed everywhere, look for a building to run in to get the zombies to walk, then sprint away. Rinse repeat until I find a gun. Agree with the OP

The zombie spawn ranges are too low also, increase to 150m at least!

Here is something that should lower the line of sight of zombies

They are dead decomposing corpses, their eyes are all rotten, probably they see very badly, foggy and black and white.

I'm proned and they see me as I was standing up dancing any Russian folk dance on the middle of the Atlantic, this is preposterous.

Gentlemen.

You want to survive and have fun in this mod? Then fucking adapt. Ever heard of evolution? That's what evolution is all about' date=' the most evolved creature is the one that can adapt the easiest to a changing environment.

This mod isn't about catering to all sorts of different play styles, it's about that one word, SURVIVAL.

Get with it.

[/quote']

I agree with you but there is no evolution against cheating AI, I'll repost my reply from another thread:

Yesterday I was crawling to Guglovo to recover some water with a friend.

Even with little movements, perfect timing crawls across the road to avoid LOS we were unable to approach the water pump because some zombies 100 meters away decided that it was time to attack, even without LOS, even with zero sound bars.

We were forced to get up, run inside the first house avaiable and wait just to see... a zombie trepassing walls to attack us.

I feel no pity saying that we disconnected because if the game cheats so hard we have all the rights to avoid death by disconnecting.

I'm fine with pretty much all of it, lack of a gun, starting out bare bones, etc... Really need to have some kind of tolerable stealth though. Sprinting into Cherno and ducking into a building is easy, but not exactly fun. I know there's not much to be done with zombie animation and pathing, but I'd rather be forced to avoid them than scrape them off on door jams.

I like the idea of starting without weapons and the being incapable of out running zombies(since theyre not the George Romero type zombies) but I feel stealth is completely useless now, I'll give you an example I was near a gas station seeing if I can find any supplies and was approaching it by crouch walking , I hear zombies so I stop to look around and all of a sudden two of them run out from the other side of the building which I couldnt see them because the building was blocking my view, and during this entire time I was 10-15 seconds worth of crouch walking away from the building, knowing that I was doomed because I had no weapons and you cant out run the zombies I just hit the respawn button. I enjoy the challenge but ease up players starting where stealth is crucial, so ease up on the stealth a bit, at least make crouch walking effective again.

When the zombies were as' date=' quite frankly, harmless as they were before the the last few patches, THOUSANDS of people complained that the only thing fun to do in the game was PVP and that's the reason why everyone was killing each other. People complained that the game wasn't fun because it had become a "deathmatch" and zombies seemed to have little impact on what went on between the players.

Personally, I can say that rockets solution worked for me at least, I have taken part in more cooperative play with randoms recently (just in the last 2 days) than I ever have in this mod because of the recent changes. Playing coop with a bunch of randoms using nothing but direct chat VOIP has made the game more fun for me than it ever has been before these last few patches. I never played coop before these patches because I didn't need to and I had fun and managed to survive without it, now I do need to play coop if I want to have fun and survive, so now I play coop, it's that simple.

Get with it.

[/quote']

I have nothing against harder Zombies.

But please make the difference between "hard zombies" and "glitching and broken AI Zombies" ...

A game should always be programmed in a way that the player has the feeling of a fair chance.

It wouldnt be hard to program "uber-zombies" which smell you over the whole map, could warp on your head and kill you instantly.

The hard part is to program an AI in a challenging way .. BUT at the same time still beatable in a reasonable way. And with a "reasonable way" I dont think of "crawl through everything and hope they dont smell you this time".

The player should be punished for mistakes - and rewarded for his precaution.

But at the moment you aggro zombies through everything and its just a huge "WTF WAS THAT? I DID NOTHING WRONG" moment.

Sheer frustration which would chase a lot of people away.

"I'm fine with pretty much all of it, lack of a gun, starting out bare bones, etc... Really need to have some kind of tolerable stealth though. Sprinting into Cherno and ducking into a building is easy, but not exactly fun. I know there's not much to be done with zombie animation and pathing, but I'd rather be forced to avoid them than scrape them off on door jams."

You sir, read my mind.

I played all night and was really perplexed. I was wondering what other games I could buy as this clearly wasn't working for me. From the link above Rocket realizes it's BROKEN though and not just "harder" as some people are saying. It will be fixed soon I hope. In the meantime, I guess I'll play Metro 2033 again.

Well there certainly needs to be a rebalance in terms of zombies sight, I am crouching around, no zombie in sight, then one instantly aggroes due to the sound I make from about 30 meters away, and the zombie is out of my LOS. Scales need to be balanced on both sides to work. Its gone from one extreme to the other.

ps. I apologize for thinking the people complaining about this problem were simply whiners. Think I would have learned that "seeing is believing" at this point in my life.

i feel that zombies that dont have los on u shouldnt come and investigate what the sound was if it is just walking/crawling,since other zombies run/crawl around and they dont agro each other around the corner/wall.

what i mean is if u fire a gun or make some other weird sound the zombie should come looking,but if u just walk the zombie around the corner/wall has no way if knowing u are not another zombie when he just hears footsteps.

I do agree that I like the fact you don't start with a gun and the harder zeds are making you team up or be careful around then. As others have said though they seem to have some ESP as I was spawned, looked around, started to walk and from no where a zombie ran at me and attacked.

I feel at times we are being punished by these super seeing and hearing zombies for something that wasnt our fault, however I realise rocket will tweak it to make them hard still but not to the point you cant move for fear of superagro

I wonder if those two playstyles (sneaking & co-op) are simply in conflict with one another. If you're able to sneak around you simply won't team up with randoms?

Well actually that's all me and my group did for the time we played, we stealthed everywhere through towns as a group of 4, made it from cherno to stary and we're still alive, so there's that.