Sign in to follow this  
ididi9 (DayZ)

How far can they push the map?

I was playing a Arma 2 map the other day with the ACE mod and the map was 20x20km, Massive! It was trees and mountains and couple of cities up north, but what I'm getting to is in theory couldn't they just keep expanding Cheranus, and does anyone know how far they can push it or if they made any allowances in the new 'gutted out' engine to do is, because surely we could end up with a 20kmx20km Cheranus if they continue to develop it through the years.

I was playing a Arma 2 map the other day with the ACE mod and the map was 20x20km, Massive! It was trees and mountains and couple of cities up north, but what I'm getting to is in theory couldn't they just keep expanding Cheranus, and does anyone know how far they can push it or if they made any allowances in the new 'gutted out' engine to do is, because surely we could end up with a 20kmx20km Cheranus if they continue to develop it through the years.

Despite what my girlfriend says, Size doesnt always count, Id much prefer small with loads of content :P

• Like 2

Despite what my girlfriend says, Size doesnt always count, Id much prefer small with loads of content :P

agreed hell angry joe even said a 400 square kilometre map was to big for just cause 2.

Haha, Although I can't see them skipping on content, what Im saying is they could just keep adding to the current map bit by bit, the actual content of the map wouldn't have to become worse.

• Like 1

Chernarus is a 2048 x2048 map using a scale of 7,5. This gives us a playable map of 15360 x 15360 meters (225 km²). Everything that can be seen beyond this map ingame is so called outside terrain and is generated automatically by the game engine. This outside terrain can not be edited!!!

To extend the map you would have to enlarge the original heightmap, sat map and texture map. The next possible (highest possible) seize would be a 3072 x3072 map using of course the same scale of 7,5. The result would be a 23040 x23040 meters map (529 km²). BI editing software (visitor) allows also to generate 4096 x4096 maps but even they avoid this size because it tends to be unstable (beside other problems).

The better (only) and more realistic solution to expand Chernarus (green sea region) would be to combine different maps via travelling(teleport) scripts.

• Like 3

Chernarus is a 2048 x2048 map using a scale of 7,5. This gives us a playable map of 15360 x 15360 meters (225 km²). Everything that can be seen beyond this map ingame is so called outside terrain and is generated automatically by the game engine. This outside terrain can not be edited!!!

To extend the map you would have to enlarge the original heightmap, sat map and texture map. The next possible (highest possible) seize would be a 3072 x3072 map using of course the same scale of 7,5. The result would be a 23040 x23040 meters map (529 km²). BI editing software (visitor) allows also to generate 4096 x4096 maps but even they avoid this size because it tends to be unstable (beside other problems).

The better (only) and more realistic solution to expand Chernarus (green sea region) would be to combine different maps via travelling(teleport) scripts.

The developers CAN add more onto the outside terrain, yes I know its random but they can expand it, LIKE THEY'VE JUST DONE!, so they can keep expanding it is what I'm saying.

The map I was talking about before guys is CLA Clafghan

we need to make it bigger so we can run alot longer . running on open land is the next big thing tbh.

Edited by dgeesio

The developers CAN add more onto the outside terrain, yes I know its random but they can expand it, LIKE THEY'VE JUST DONE!, so they can keep expanding it is what I'm saying.

The map I was talking about before guys is CLA Clafghan

Sorry to correct you but they did defenetely not..they added Utes and Treasure Island to the existing heightmap that's it....and no it is not possible to build on this outside terrain because it is simply not there when you open visitor ( that is the BI tool for making maps).Of course it would be possible for them but I don't see that ever happen...

cheers

If I recall it's expanded with northern towns added, a giant shipwreck and a giant island called Utes as well as a prison at some point.

Not to mention a ton of building interiors are now open for exploration. This game, whenever they release it will have plenty to do initially.

Edited by Strongtent

I know its already been expanded, I understand this! I'm saying that in theory they could keep making the map bigger

• Like 1

From what i can see they haven't expanded the map, just added new content to the existing map. http://i.imgur.com/P1Ym1GW.gif

Adding Utes and Treasure island could be considered an expansion of total landmass but that still doesn't mean they have expanded the total area of the map itself as they both just sit in the ocean which was always part of the map.

Edited by Fluxley

Considering that the standalone may have 150 players per server, I think they will definitely make the map larger.

I mean they're even putting the entire island of Utes in the god damn map.

Well, I had a pretty good suggestion that a few people didn't quite understand. Why not develop more maps that might show more of Chernarus(we're only playing in the province of South Zagoria). When we reach the debug, we'll be teleported to a new map on a different server with all of our gear!

From what i can see they haven't expanded the map, just added new content to the existing map. http://i.imgur.com/P1Ym1GW.gif

Adding Utes and Treasure island could be considered an expansion of total landmass but that still doesn't mean they have expanded the total area of the map itself as they both just sit in the ocean which was always part of the map.

Im 100% sure the map is larger as well

Im 100% sure the map is larger as well

What makes you think that though?

The glimpse of the map that we saw at E3 shows that there is no expansion, why do you think otherwise?

Edited by Fluxley

Technically it was expanded. Maybe not the physical map, but I don't count the vast, empty forests up north being part of it. Many new towns & locations have been added in those areas.

There's a big difference between adding new content and actually expanding the area of the map.

Rocket stated himself in an interview at e3 that they had pushed the borders of the map out a bit to add area for new towns and stuff. there's unused landmass to the north and east, so by using it and pushing out the boundaries, they have effectively expanded the map. Even so, it's been confirmed that Player generated content is going to be supported, so if ACE can do it, I'm sure DayZ can do it too. Personally I'd like to see a 20km by 20km map. With a 100-150 player server, that would just be awesome. We'd need vehicles though.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

Rocket stated himself in an interview at e3 that they had pushed the borders of the map out a bit to add area for new towns and stuff.

Awesome, do you happen to know which interview that was?

There's a big difference between adding new content and actually expanding the area of the map.

Technically it was expanded. Maybe not the physical map, but I don't count the vast, empty forests up north being part of it. Many new towns & locations have been added in those areas.

until a quad titan, i7 3970X rig explodes :P

I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of an expanded map :P