Sign in to follow this  
DayZ1337 (DayZ)

To easy to be detected by zombies?

Hello everyone, I will start straight up with saying I am indeed a newbie to DayZ. I started playing 2 days ago and I love it but I have one issue. I understand the importance of going prone when in towns to avoid detection, but it just seems like the zombies are a little bit to good at the whole hearing thing. I think its kind of silly that even when I safely get into a building and get up off my prone I always end up getting detected while looting, not to mention this was also on a regular server.

Also, here is another issue I have. When I try to get away from zombies it is pretty much impossible completely now. The one thing I could do that always worked (running up steep hill) no longer works as the zombies follow me up the hill. In the recent .4 patch they said that if you get out of the line of sight of a zombie it looks for you. I've ran around so many walls and houses trying to hide but the zombies never even stop. Even when they are out of line of sight they don't even stop to ''look for me''. I don't like to complain, it just seems like the conditions are a bit harsh especially considering I'm looting alone with no gun. I don't have an issue with not having a gun, its just that I think overall its ridiculous that the game ask we pretty much are constantly prone when going in any town.

If you do not agree with me, let me say I am not here to argue but mainly to get tips and feedback from other players on if you agree or I am just not skilled enough.

Yes, it is too easy now. Don't bother with stealth, it's a waste of time now. Just sprint through cities and lose zombies between buildings. You will get more loot for your time, and have a higher survival rate.

I agree. I go to a jogging park every day and I have good hearing. I can't hear someone jogging 20 meters away. But these zombies have astounding hearing and can hear far beyond that. The game guide says they have limited hearing. It's just not true.

I understand them hearing loud things like gunshots, but for walking or jogging? Really? It's nowhere near realistic for normal living people to hear from so far. In fact, the game gets it much closer to reality when I hear footsteps of other players. When outdoors, sounds dissipate quickly because most of the sound travels up and away, not along the ground.

I tried googling around but can't find any hard scientific data on how far regular or running footsteps can be heard in different environments. ):

@j-play, your actually the first one to bring that matter up. If DayZ if trying to make their game realistic, they need to tone it down because what you said is exactly true. Even in real life no body could hear that far, and who is DayZ to say zombies have some miraculously good hearing? There are no zombies on Earth but from movies I've seen like Zombieland they definitely don't have super hero hearing.

Yeah it's just the hearing thing... Since zombies have super ears anytime you walk on a surface that isn't grass they lock onto your ass and come after you.

yeah currently its easier to just aggro everything run into a house kill them all while they mill around in the door way then loot!

going prone through a whole town is just asking to get sniped.

Yes' date=' it is too easy now. Don't bother with stealth, it's a waste of time now. Just sprint through cities and lose zombies between buildings. You will get more loot for your time, and have a higher survival rate.

[/quote']

Kind of true (unless 1.7.1.4 changed anything with the super-aggro zombies and stealthing, haven't played since yesterday). But at any rate, it's obviously going to go through a lot more tweaking before it's all said and done so I'm not too worried. It's still early.

Reading forums makes me amazed everytime, I meen... PRONE? Throu cities? HOW?

My last prone attempt was on a roof.. After a re-log.. I attracted every zed in the whole area, luckily they were dumb enough to not use ladders, wich gave me a chance to break my legs when i tried jumping 2m. down for a run away... Died naturally when they cought me...

In respec... Should just have disconnected and gone to bed :-)

I agree in the sense that sprinting and losing line of sight is much too effective, and stealth is effective enough. Should be more a balance but sprinting is the bomb now.

Well I have to agree that these zeds are just too alert for my tastes. Rocket, you turned the knob on the zombies to f'n crazy; now let's test the new things with a bit less frantic chase scenes?

The new zombies and mechanics have just forced players to begin kiting zombies. Instead of sneaking around, people just full out run, grab all the aggro, find something to run around and then lose it. This ruins the game.

There is no point in trying to sneak anymore - it is almost impossible anyways. And since it is now possible to lose aggro, who cares if you get it.

This is a serious mechanic conflict.

The loss of stealth is pain in the butt. It's hardly worth playing right now. I really hope the stealth get tweaked back to how it used to be.

Sneaky sneaky... Sneaky sneaky... Oh god That zombie inside the locked cellar saw me, CRAP HE JUST RAN THRU THE FLOOR! I'm going to die I'm going to die I'm going to die... Phew, good thing doors confuse them I'm safe.. OH GOD WHY! He ran thru the wall! All i wanted was a Pepsi T____T

I played at dusk/night and it works brilliantly.

Daytime I beleieve you are more visible which is great. You seriously think your invisible crouching? Change the way you play. Find friends and clear the zombies out. Plan an attack, run in and have an exit route to lose the zeds. Give it a go, stop bitching 2 days after they were changed. How can you assess anything in one playing session.

I agree. I am too impatient to crawl my way through a whole town. So I try to do the kiting thing which rarely works out for me lol.

i love this game for the stealth play. without it it feels more like work than play.

This youtube vid i made was some of the most fun ive had playing a game ever,

IMO i think rocket should keep the zeds near blind, near deaf and dumb, Just make the penalty for aggroing more costly.. and drop that 50/50 Bone break chances... seriouslly!

Doesn't seem very survival like when stealth is a waste of time because of broken stealth/AI mechanics.

I wanted it to be a bit more realistic, but these zombies have bloody night vision and/or the best hearing devices in the world, it's way, way, way too difficult. Spent the better part of today learning and relearning, but it's all way too random to precisely tell what the heck is going on.

Like maybe many other people, I first saw DayZ while browsing youtube. What I liked from the first video on, was that people obviously had a pretty hard time getting anywhere close to buildings and had to think of plans to distract/kill all the Zs that where running around in the area. When I started playing myself, I found it much too easy to avoid the Zs by crouching/crawling. They just were no threat, I never had a reason to even use my primary weapon unless I was in a firefight with other players. No need to team up, no need to be cautious (except for the other-players-thing).

That it bacame freaking hard to get in and out of towns alive is what i love about the new update. Whant to raid this little shop over there? Team up, distract, or shoot your way through. This is the Apocalypse!

But still the Zombiethreat has to be "realistic" in some way and the Gameplay must not become frustrating. So the effectiveness of kiting, Zs running through walls and hearing better than every human beeing are imho still issues that have to be dealt with.

Just played some more and really, the stealth mechanics are broken and nearly non-existent in daylight hours. Footsteps seem to be nearly as loud as gunshots! In real life I can't hear someone running from more than 20 meters. These zombies have super-human hearing. (with version 1.7.1.4)

yeah currently its easier to just aggro everything run into a house kill them all while they mill around in the door way then loot!

going prone through a whole town is just asking to get sniped.

i just had to kill myself becuase of technical difficulties and getting lost in a debug zone with my m4a1, 1911, meat etc

all really good gear since before 1.7.1 and now right when i spawn on a beach whilst crouch walking im spotted/heard, i cant even go anywhere without getting seen or heard by a damn zombie. This change without a weapon would have been fine if zombie were where they were pre 1.7.1 but now i cant even get to a building without getting spotted.

Good news for the upcoming 1.7.1.5 patch -

* [FIXED] Audibility is far to high (completely rebalanced' date=' in line with how it was in previous updates)

This is from a preliminary pre-release patch list. http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17398

[/quote']

Well I played it for a while and 1.7.1.5 is better than 1.7.1.4 but it's still very easy to aggro zombies. I was prone in a village and a zombie detected me from the other side of a house. ):

I got a broken bone from my pursuers, and morphine is very rare so this game has gone from a running simulator to a crawling simulator, LOL.