Sign in to follow this  
person915

Heart Beats Steel, Any Day

I've grown tired of the bullshit.

DMRs, SVD Camos, LMGs tearing through bodies...

...grenade launchers, .50 cals, ACOG scopes-

they can all go to hell.

For some odd reason, people still seek these out. As myself, it's nice when I find one.

Though lately, I've taken to using only a certain tier of weapons. The Winchester, Enfield, CZ550, Double-Barrel Shotgun, M1014, and the Remmington 870. I have killed just as many people just as easily with these weapons than any others.

Namalsk- up against a man with a helicopter, warm clothing, AS50, who knows what else.

Armed with: 1 hatchet.

BEGIN!

I sneak myself up to where he lands. He's waiting for something. There's a C130 crash nearby. I could go and get a weapon from it, and shoot him, but he probably has a buddy there, who he's waiting for. I watch him from the trees, hoping my suit and tie doesn't clash too much with the shrubery.

5 minutes. Moving as he's distracted. Zombies, gear in the chopper. It feels like a damn campaign mission. Undetected.

There's a chopper in the distance that also lands nearby. Perfect distraction. I run straight for him, and he turns around in just enough time to move out of the way. I run after him, knowing he can't bring his gun up in enough time to be able to aim AND hit me, especially with no crosshairs. I finally break his legs, and chop at him, recoiling his view upward, the two shots he fired missing, flying upward to land in the ocean somewhere.

He is now dead.

.50 military gear survivor vs. newspawn w/ hatchet. Didn't need no fancy gear to take this guy down, all I needed was to play smart.

Chernarus- 2 .50cal ghilles in Elektro on the NW hill.

Armed with: CZ550, 5 shots.

ROUND 2, FIGHT!

This truly felt like a survival situation. Seeing the snipers, I had gone around the town to Pik Kozlova, first checking the top, with, unfortunately absolutely NO weapon. I snuck down and saw them.

Keeping close, I followed until they went ahead on a hill, and I went into the barn in hopes of finding a gun. CZ550, 1 mag.

I sneak out and around utterly undetected by anything, and there, I see some movement ahead. At the edge of the treeline, there's a ghille, aiming his gun over the town. I hide behind a bush, set my zeroing to 100, and wait for him to be still.

I couldn't see his head since a bush was covering it, so I aimed just about where I thought it would be, and shot. 1 ghille falls over. Double tap in the head this time- you know, to make sure he wouldn't turn and come back.

1 left. I just fired 2 shots from the same direction, and I have no clue as to where his partner is hiding. It ends up he gets away/logs off/hides, and I couldn't find him.

There's been plenty of other battles- those two are the most recent.

My point is:

In DayZ, it's not about the gear, so stop acting like it is. Joining all these servers about starting with rifles, pistols; everything you'd ever need. Hell, I've killed with a crowbar and gotten out with only 1 or 2 small holes!

You don't need these fancy assault rifles. In fact, having 5 bullets and NOTHING was FUN. That's right. I knew I had to make the shots count, or I was dead. Or I was done. And they would win.

Sneaking up on someone and breaking their face in with a blunt blade is exciting. Why do you deny yourselves these experiences? Challenge yourself- push yourselves to the limits.

DayZ is a game of heart, will, and determination, not having a load of steel on your back and in your hands. Wood is lighter, travel faster, kills the same.

It's not even about the kill. Plenty of times have I been unarmed and escaped an armed opponent, so it's not even that.

There are those of you who rely on your big fancy rifles to get things done. And there are those of us who can use just about anything, and be just as dangerous. Just remember, when you are spoiling yourself, grabbing all these murder-machines, not giving a second thought- that there is atleast a handful of people who can take you out however they please. Don't get comfortable.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have these things. I'm not saying you shouldn't use them.

What I am saying is-

when you trade in a unique experience for something so unoriginal and devoid of the essence of what truly makes DayZ a game- having a problem, and overcoming it no matter what- and striving onward, you aren't doing anything for yourself. Feel each shot eject out of you. Wince as it goes. And feel relieved when it hits the target, and your problem is solved. You LIVED.

Because right now, there's an over-abundance of servers that just don't quite get the memo. Barracks in Kamenka... military crap EVERYWHERE....

This confidence gets you killed.

DayZ is a survival game,

get it?

• Like 13

I like your point of view, but remember that you cannot force feelings. A lot of people might never enjoy the game the same way you do, and it's not something you can change by writing a constructive letter. It's an innate ability to perceive and enjoy that's unique to each person.

But yeah, one of the reasons I stopped playing on private hives is because of all the additional vehicles/gear/donor gear. I am enjoying public hives immensely right now.

Edited by TiredMiner
  • Like 1

Wait, so sitting with my high powered sniper rifle is not how I survive?

All in all very good post, enjoyed it.

Wait, so sitting with my high powered sniper rifle is not how I survive?

All in all very good post, enjoyed it.

You confuse me with your language. Essentially, no, you don't need it. Usually people with those things just use it to kill. Come standalone time, you'll be using it to keep things from killing you; and most will be left behind.

Come the day when not a DMR to be found, get ready, bitches!

I THINK you're being sarcastic to who my post is directed to, but unsure.

If I'm right, the above lines aren't of much relevance to you.

Edited by McCullins

I get this I think.

Low tech is high tech?

A CZ 550 can out perform an M40A3 if you know how to use it, same with an enfield and an M4 etc?

EDIT: I am tired as f*ck only had 5-6 hours nights over the last four days, so if you don't understand me or vice versa sorry.

Edited by burritoman259

You confuse me with your language. Essentially, no, you don't need it. Usually people with those things just use it to kill. Come standalone time, you'll be using it to keep things from killing you; and most will be left behind.

Come the day when not a DMR to be found, get ready, bitches!

I THINK you're being sarcastic to who my post is directed to, but unsure.

If I'm right, the above lines aren't of much relevance to you.

I was being sarcastic.

I get this I think.

Low tech is high tech?

A CZ 550 can out perform an M40A3 if you know how to use it, same with an enfield and an M4 etc?

EDIT: I am tired as f*ck only had 5-6 hours nights over the last four days, so if you don't understand me or vice versa sorry.

After taking out a sniper in Cherno with my CZ550, after he had hit me once already with his DMR, and considering it only took 1 shot from me to kill him, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

But also, that if you continue to use these weapons which have an overabundance (because ArmA is a military simulator so the ratio of civvie to military guns is about 1:75, and in DayZ probably 1:15), you're denying yourself a truly immersive and exhilarating experience. It's like when you are fighting in The Last of Us against the infected with only a few bullets. It's that intensity combined with DayZ's intensity and risk of life, added on the thrill of taking down another living being.

Using a gun where you can find ammo boxes with tons of ammo for and never have to worry about a thing, only to take a chicken run back to one of the convenient places to get such a weapon of the same caliber with about the same ammo when you die just ruins the whole thing, in my opinion. If you had to WORK for all that, fighting through tons of crap to get the ammo stash, or looting tons of places until you collectively found it all, not throwing a smoke, running into a barracks and using your SD to take out anything that follows you in- THEN, it would be as worth as now scavenging for the dwindling supply of CZ ammo around Chernarus. It takes you places, and those places take you places.

That's where the party's at!

Edited by McCullins
  • Like 3

Nice post, OP. The best DayZ weapon has always been the mind of the player.

I would however be interested to know if you've ever taken on a Blood Sucker with a hatchet, and what the outcome was.

I would however be interested to know if you've ever taken on a Blood Sucker with a hatchet, and what the outcome was.

In breaking point you can hide in a tree and smack em, but legit its probably harder than milking the sun.

That's all fine and well but I'm not going to run around and purposely gimp myself just to show how much heart I have.

We have all ganked people with hatchets at one point or another but it's not exactly my go to weapon.

As Rocket himself has said the leveling system is based on gear... for the moment. I would rather have the ability to engage people in every scenario that run around with a winchester and get out ranged by a superior weapon.

That's all fine and well but I'm not going to run around and purposely gimp myself just to show how much heart I have.

We have all ganked people with hatchets at one point or another but it's not exactly my go to weapon.

As Rocket himself has said the leveling system is based on gear... for the moment. I would rather have the ability to engage people in every scenario that run around with a winchester and get out ranged by a superior weapon.

There is no "superior weapon".

That's one of my points. I've heard people, and I myself have done this once or twice, where someone with a 'big bad military gun' sees me, and I still manage to sneak up and kill them with a hatchet, virtually unscathed. It doesn't matter if you have surprise or not, all you need is SOMETHING.

• Like 2

I can try. I've never actually had a hatchet when fighting a bloodsucker.

Well, that's not true. I've never had time TO GET IT OUT while being CHASED by a bloodsucker.

I'm sure it can be done, but if you mean in terms of combat, sometimes it's better to run from a fight and live, rather than fight it out. I've done both.

I've grown tired of the bullshit.

DMRs, SVD Camos, LMGs tearing through bodies...

...grenade launchers, .50 cals, ACOG scopes-

they can all go to hell.

For some odd reason, people still seek these out. As myself, it's nice when I find one.

Though lately, I've taken to using only a certain tier of weapons. The Winchester, Enfield, CZ550, Double-Barrel Shotgun. I have killed just as many people just as easily with these weapons than any others.

"ive grown tired of the bullshit top tier weapons, but i use weapons just as powerful that are a lot easier to find because i cant find the good stuff"

i see what youre trying to say here but you completely contradicted yourself by admitting you use high-powered guns, which coincidentally, all have steel components. its not like you are running around with your bare hands or a crossbow or a makarov.

DayZ is a game of heart, will, and determination, not having a load of steel on your back and in your hands. Wood is lighter, travel faster, kills the same.

There are those of you who rely on your big fancy rifles to get things done

:lol:

quit huffing and puffing, the fact that you use cz550's and the like puts you in the same category as the people you are complaining about...i fail to see how that makes your experience any different that everyone else that plays this game

"ive grown tired of the bullshit top tier weapons, but i use weapons just as powerful that are a lot easier to find because i cant find the good stuff"

i see what youre trying to say here but you completely contradicted yourself by admitting you use high-powered guns, which coincidentally, all have steel components. its not like you are running around with your bare hands or a crossbow or a makarov.

:lol:

quit huffing and puffing, the fact that you use cz550's and the like puts you in the same category as the people you are complaining about...i fail to see how that makes your experience any different that everyone else that plays this game

You think you know what's up? That's really arrogant of you.

I find AKs, M16s and ect all the time. I don't pick them up because there's usually 3-5 clips in them and that's just no fun. I find chopper crashes and pass by airfields same as any other guy. Don't assume I can't find anything.

You ever go to an airfield? I find just in NWAF barracks about 8 assault rifles, 3 sniper rifles, maybe an SMG or two, and usually atleast 1 LMG, so don't bullshit that civvie weapons are easier to find. You only see crossbows in supermarkets now, with the occasional pistol. Pubs usually don't have much civ weapons anymore except for, again, pistols. A CZ550 is hard to find except on a few select days when the server decides to spawn them. Even in barns, it's hard to find guns besides hatchets, and I check behind the hay stacks and on ground level too. Even if I do find a weapon there, it's only with 1 or 2 mags. Sure, they can be found most places, but in small quantity and not all in one place, unlike your little stanag weapon that you found 9 mags for within 100m of eachother. CZs are even harder to find ammo for, especially when you ACTUALLY NEED it.

These guns have steel components? Well I didn't know tha-

of course I knew, know-it-all. That's not the point. That's art for art's sake. They're not full-metal like the other guns, but that's not the point either. Pretty much ALL civilian guns are made of wood either in part or predominantly: the Enfield (metal straps on shaft, shaft wood, stock wood), Winchester (has a metal gearbox, wood stock), double barrel shotgun (essentially wood laced with metal, metal gearbox), CZ550 (plastic scope, wood gun, metal barrel). Even the AKs have wood on them, though I don't use them that much. The M1014 and Remmington 870 are metal, but like I said, that wasn't the point. It's funny to think you ACTUALLY thought it meant a whole lot while everyone else accepted it for what it was and did not overthink it at all. Good job.

You fail to see how it makes me different, however?

Because people underestimate it. They think DMRs and M4A3s are everything, when they're not. You can kill someone with a Makarov with 1 shot, if you shoot them in the head. A player. I dunno how you get "high powered" off of the CZ, because my mentioned kills from it were 1) no more than 400m away, 2) hit the person in significant vital areas INCLUDING the head, as the sniper in Cherno was pointed out. That's not overpowered, that's anatomy.

Hitting someone with a DMR, M24, or M40A3 will USUALLY knock that person unconscious and break their legs. The CZ would IRL knock them on their ass, but in DayZ it simply hurts them a lot. DMR does about 8000 blood damage for a torso/appendages. The CZ does about 5000-6000 for the same. I killed the sniper in Elektro because of the close range and area I hit him in. The sniper in Cherno was hit in the head, which would kill him indefinitely. Plus, I had no idea what their blood levels were at. Who knows, maybe if they were full, if they weren't already, they would have survived?

On the contrary, had I been hit anywhere by their .50s, I would have been dead, instantly. If I had gotten hit by the DMR (which I did, but got lucky) I'd be in pain, probably knocked out and on low blood. Even with that, I killed him.

With DMR mags, anyway, you can find them more common than Enfield mags, and in towns where the gun doesn't even spawn. There are less barns than areas for DMR mags to spawn in Chernarus.

I'm saying people who think that military guns are all the rage are full of shit. Servers with all these military spawns are doing nothing when you can as easily kill someone with a Winchester. And I see your point of contradiction there. If they can kill so easily, and I 'bash' on guns that do that, how does that make sense?

Headshots, remember? Is one reason. Also, the element of surprise. Going forward, I'm not just talking about the gun, but the player who has it. A clever hiding place or a good ridge is all you need, or even the right skill. The point is if the exact same fight happened in which you had an Enfield in the first fight and a FN FAL in the next, you would have little change in the chance of you winning the second battle as you did the first. What matters is actions and reactions, and that's it. And THAT'S where that comes from.

I'm also saying that players who join these servers with intense military spawns are denying themselves the feel of insecurity and tension that comes with a SURVIVAL game. They can just shoot, and shoot, and shoot, and don't have to care, while as combat with closely finite resources is a much better one as you can't just suppress someone around the corner until you get an angle and kill them. It's not in the survival spirit, because all that loot was found so quickly and in one place. There was no scrounging, effort, or meaning to it. It was smoke grenade > run into barracks > get gun with lots of ammo and steal ammo from gun right next to it > run out.

And if you can't see that, then...

wow.

Edited by McCullins
  • Like 1

I like starting fresh with no gear, I really do, but when I am geared up decently I don't want to die. Strange, but true. Once I do die I'm fine with it, but damn I get paranoid and protective of my gear while I have it I admit. I'm currently rolling with a Mk48 and some other good gear and am living in fear of losing it but I know I'll be happier when I do. But I'm still not willing to take suicidal chances to make that happen.

You think you know what's up? That's really arrogant of you.

Interesting way to start a comment that then proceeds to go on to basically say that you know best and everyone else is "full of shit".

If you want to run around with a Winchester then crack on! No one is going to stop you.

Well, I may stop you... but it will be with a bullet. ;)

Edited by Victim187

This is all well and good, but you make the fatal mistake of assuming that everyone holds themselves to your standards.

In short, don't talk down to someone if you're cutting them off at the knees in order to do so.