Arsynik

Not sure why everyone is complaining...

I have been alive in this mod for about 17 hours now and don't exactly have insanely good equipment (Winchester, 1911).

I played for about 4 hours today with the 1.7.1.4 patch and had a blast.

I seem to be able to sneak around the majority of the zombies still and if I do alert them I am able to dispatch them rather quickly by either getting into a building and picking them off or simply gunning them down in a field.

I had a way harder time getting rid of the zombies when they borderline teleported on top of you.

I understand that I already have guns and new players do not, but weapons don't seem very hard to come by these days... Pretty much any farm building I enter has an Enfield or shotgun.

Yes, the zombies are more fearsome enemies than in previous versions but that's GOOD. Zombies are the focus of the game and should be feared instead of shrugged off.

This also brings more realism to the game since the survival rate in real life would be pretty low. Many survivors wouldn't survive very long and the ones that were lucky enough to find supplies would carry on.

Additionally, this should give players a greater sense of accomplishment when they do find a weapon or food or water. It should be that glimmer of hope like it would be in real life.

All in all, I am having an absolute blast with this mod. I hope the difficulty makes the ones that can't handle the heat, leave the kitchen and that the hardcore fans keep playing.

Rocket, keep up the great work and don't let the complaints discourage you. You are doing AWESOME.

People are always bound to complain when the game becomes more hardcore or challenging.

I just hope Rocket has the sense to ignore all the whining and do what he thinks is best for the game.

These zombies aren't difficult. They make the gameplay dull and tedius. Shall we make it require you to wait until nighttime to move - that way zombies can't see you as well. Man, that would be difficult - but would it be fun?

Same here. I don't mind helping people out if they're having trouble with the changes.. but I personally have not had any trouble adapting. Obviously, new players might find it harder since they're just beginning but the forums have more then enough helpful information to start out.

These zombies aren't difficult. They make the gameplay dull and tedius. Shall we make it require you to wait until nighttime to move - that way zombies can't see you as well. Man' date=' that would be difficult - but would it be fun?

[/quote']

Waiting until night wouldn't just be inconvenient , it wouldn't even make sense.

I am not sure what you mean by saying that the zombies make the game dull and tedious. If they are more alert and attack more often, isn't that more exciting? If being able to just bypass the zombies is what people want, then why play a zombie game?

"Yes, the zombies are more fearsome enemies than in previous versions but that's GOOD. Zombies are the focus of the game and should be feared instead of shrugged off."

To an extent I agree, but there must be a middle ground between the previous zombies and the current "super-zeds."

"This also brings more realism to the game since the survival rate in real life would be pretty low. Many survivors wouldn't survive very long and the ones that were lucky enough to find supplies would carry on."

Sure, realism in a game is always welcome. But a game is a game first and foremost, and as such, is intended to be FUN. Dying several times and spending most of your time sprinting from zombies before finding anything of use is not considered a fun experience. Additionally, one can assume that the "ones that are lucky enough to survive" have already survived, and you are spawning as one of those people.

"Additionally, this should give players a greater sense of accomplishment when they do find a weapon or food or water. It should be that glimmer of hope like it would be in real life."

I'd rather lose the heightened sense of accomplishment that comes with succeeding in the seemingly impossible and have a more consistently enjoyable experience. It's what games are for (or the good ones at least).

"All in all, I am having an absolute blast with this mod. I hope the difficulty makes the ones that can't handle the heat, leave the kitchen and that the hardcore fans keep playing."

Hardcore fans don't pay bills, reaching a large player base does. That kind of attitude will stifle any hopes of creating a successful enterprise around this game. Obviously this game shouldn't be dumbed down beyond an unreasonable degree, but it is overwhelmingly clear that the latest update has gone too far and a balance must be found.

People don't understand that this mod is in Alpha, and they are all butthurt that they paid $30.

Except that $30 is for the finished product of Arma 2, not DayZ. In alpha we are testers.

If Rocket makes the game too hard then people should leave constructive criticism, not this super whine-fest about how Rocket "ruined their finished game"

Whiners and Trolls man.... starting to get to me. :/

What is dull and tedius is the gameplay required to sneak around the zombies. Crawling everywhere is just that. The other option is to not give a crap and just train the zombies behind and LOS them. Those two options provide no variety. Can you not understand this?

And greasy mullet, I'm not mad because I bought Arma 2 years ago. I like the game in general and I have gotten my money's worth. This mod is just gravy on the biscuit.

Well right there you've missed 90% of the issue. Most players cannot survive long enough to locate weapons capable of disposing zombies inside a building.

I've played at night time thus far, and it is ridiculous how easily a zombie will aggro on you when you have zero sound and visibility indicative. It's not like I'm bumping into them, I'm probably around 10-15m away from them - out of necessity because the patterns they roam around cause tight packs. Cant always go around them because they seem to spawn once you are in a town. So getting out is difficult.

I can't successfully LOS or stealth away from them, unless there is a building with two exits. Even then a stragler will always continue to follow me. I had a stragler follow me from Kamenka to Balota airfield and I had no idea he was following me because it was a hopper. So consider I had probably more broken LOS on him than anything - why didn't it give up the chase?

Leading me to the next one, the stealth/LOS/wall fix system hasn't. I still get spotted through buildings and walls, hit through walls, zombies still port into buildings.

Ultimately the game is way too difficult, the learning curve for a fresh player is too much. Most games will increase with difficulty the further you progress, but from the outset this is just too much.

I've played for about a month now, and the zed changes in the past 2-3 patches are just progressively getting worse.

I've gone through 4 characters this afternoon and the only way I can successfully lose aggro would be to abort and relog. Perhaps that why this feature was reverted? Don't know.

Being that so many people are dying from such random zed aggro, the coastal towns are short of weapons and supplies. I hit Balota airfield to find nothing but a flashlight and the remainder tin cans - whether I was unlucky or not, can't tell. But considering I've tried with 4 different characters, it's a bit :/

The stealth system needs some further refinement as priority. Because this has gone from immersive with learning curves and learning from mistakes, to just plain "WTF?".

I'll wait for .5 and hope it returns to it's former glory.

"Yes' date=' the zombies are more fearsome enemies than in previous versions but that's GOOD. Zombies are the focus of the game and should be feared instead of shrugged off."

To an extent I agree, but there must be a middle ground between the previous zombies and the current "super-zeds."

"This also brings more realism to the game since the survival rate in real life would be pretty low. Many survivors wouldn't survive very long and the ones that were lucky enough to find supplies would carry on."

Sure, realism in a game is always welcome. But a game is a game first and foremost, and as such, is intended to be FUN. Dying several times and spending most of your time sprinting from zombies before finding anything of use is not considered a fun experience. Additionally, one can assume that the "ones that are lucky enough to survive" have already survived, and you are spawning as one of those people.

"Additionally, this should give players a greater sense of accomplishment when they do find a weapon or food or water. It should be that glimmer of hope like it would be in real life."

I'd rather lose the heightened sense of accomplishment that comes with succeeding in the seemingly impossible and have a more consistently enjoyable experience. It's what games are for (or the good ones at least).

"All in all, I am having an absolute blast with this mod. I hope the difficulty makes the ones that can't handle the heat, leave the kitchen and that the hardcore fans keep playing."

Hardcore fans don't pay bills, reaching a large player base does. That kind of attitude will stifle any hopes of creating a successful enterprise around this game. Obviously this game shouldn't be dumbed down beyond an unreasonable degree, but it is overwhelmingly clear that the latest update has gone too far and a balance must be found.

[/quote']

So here is what I am understanding from this post as well as my counter points:

1) The zombies are near impossible to survive. I don't see how this could be since there are many players including myself who are indeed surviving.

2)The game should be more fun than real. These can co exist in games like this that are referred to as "Simulation" games. DayZ is a Zombie Survival Simulator. In these games, the gameplay is much more realistic and much more challenging. The fun aspect comes in triumphing over these challenges.

3) You would rather have a game that is consistently easy and therefore you can always feel successful. These are the kinds of games that most people only play for a few hours as they have no pay off value.

4) "Hardcore players don't pay the bills." I think that you forget that this mod is in fact free and hardcore and mainstream gamers alike do nothing in the way of "pay the bills" for this mod

I hate the new mechanics. When trying to sneak up a deerstand I aggroed a zed from 200m by crouching and I didn't manage to get rid of him for 10min. I was tired of being sneaky with my new char because it doesn't matter if you run into a town or sneak in. So I sprinted into Cherno, aggroed tons of zeds, got into the firestation and somehow they lost me. This is making the game ridicolous. Complaining is a reason for testing.

Seems like you just recently got the mod, where as it would indeed be very fun. The fact is the agro radius is too high and I think you may either be underestimating how much you agro zombies, you're crawling constantly or you stay in the forest away from all zombies. Most complaints are to help improve the game and fix problems.

What is dull and tedius is the gameplay required to sneak around the zombies. Crawling everywhere is just that. The other option is to not give a crap and just train the zombies behind and LOS them. Those two options provide no variety. Can you not understand this?

And... what was the "variety" before this?

Well right there you've missed 90% of the issue. Most players cannot survive long enough to locate weapons capable of disposing zombies inside a building.

I've played at night time thus far' date=' and it is ridiculous how easily a zombie will aggro on you when you have zero sound and visibility indicative. It's not like I'm bumping into them, I'm probably around 10-15m away from them - out of necessity because the patterns they roam around cause tight packs. Cant always go around them because they seem to spawn once you are in a town. So getting out is difficult.

I can't successfully LOS or stealth away from them, unless there is a building with two exits. Even then a stragler will always continue to follow me. I had a stragler follow me from Kamenka to Balota airfield and I had no idea he was following me because it was a hopper. So consider I had probably more broken LOS on him than anything - why didn't it give up the chase?

Leading me to the next one, the stealth/LOS/wall fix system hasn't. I still get spotted through buildings and walls, hit through walls, zombies still port into buildings.

Ultimately the game is way too difficult, the learning curve for a fresh player is too much. Most games will increase with difficulty the further you progress, but from the outset this is just too much.

I've played for about a month now, and the zed changes in the past 2-3 patches are just progressively getting worse.

I've gone through 4 characters this afternoon and the only way I can successfully lose aggro would be to abort and relog. Perhaps that why this feature was reverted? Don't know.

Being that so many people are dying from such random zed aggro, the coastal towns are short of weapons and supplies. I hit Balota airfield to find nothing but a flashlight and the remainder tin cans - whether I was unlucky or not, can't tell. But considering I've tried with 4 different characters, it's a bit :/

The stealth system needs some further refinement as priority. Because this has gone from immersive with learning curves and learning from mistakes, to just plain "WTF?".

I'll wait for .5 and hope it returns to it's former glory.

[/quote']

Of course just about everything in this mod needs refinement and that is why it is still in alpha.

I do not find it, however, to be unplayable. You just have to rethink your tactics.

You said you went to Balota several times and died? Then try something else. Try going inland and look at the smaller villages and ask yourself some questions before you get into zombie range:

Does it look like there are any enterable buildings?

If so, do any of them have multiple entrances?

And as always; Is it worth the risk?

I stayed away from all the coastal towns until I was well outfitted, knowing that they would have lots of undead about and would be pretty well picked over.

People are always bound to complain when the game becomes more hardcore or challenging.

I have nightvision goggles, a MK 48, a Barrett rifle, all the tools, and a coyote pack, but I still think this is too hard. It's impossible to stealth by them now, even in northern towns. You either move too slowly in prone and get seen or move too quickly in crouch and get seen. The zombies spawn when you shoot, even if it's in the middle of a field miles from any town, so you're literally forced to run until you find a building to lose the zombies... which doesn't work because your running attracts so many.

This isn't "hardcore", this is unbalanced.

I feel like I am playing a different game than everyone else. I am having none of these problems.

I do not have zombies aggroing from extremely far away. It always seems to be within reasonable distance and while they are facing me.

I've also never had to run very far from zombies before I can cut LOS and they give up chase.

Now I'm just confused and not sure what I am doing differently.

Of course just about everything in this mod needs refinement and that is why it is still in alpha.

I do not find it' date=' however, to be unplayable. You just have to rethink your tactics.

You said you went to Balota several times and died? Then try something else. Try going inland and look at the smaller villages and ask yourself some questions before you get into zombie range:

Does it look like there are any enterable buildings?

If so, do any of them have multiple entrances?

And as always; Is it worth the risk?

I stayed away from all the coastal towns until I was well outfitted, knowing that they would have lots of undead about and would be pretty well picked over.

[/quote']

I have changed my tactics mate. But I sat about 50 metres away from a town once, crouched, and pulled a zed.

I've gone through a town prone, and pulled through a building.

I'm not dying at Balota. I'm indicating the loot issue. I know the creed, but at the moment it just isn't consistant to say, oh there are 3 zeds or 50 zeds v the chance of loot - because it just takes 1 zed to aggro.

Once you get that single on, they are able to outrun you and hit you on a crouched run, not to mention the stealth abilities are now such that if you crouch run - you enevitably pull more zeds. So you stand and walk to continue to get hit, or just run like hell pulling the whole town and then having to locate a LOS pull or building.

But as I said, it doesn't always work because there always seems to be a straggler that will continue on you.

I'm not even talking about gun noises or such, just purely from a brand new characters perspective, whether I hit a coastal town or north. The same issue applies except a northern town or even mid northern town poses two immediate difficulties: 1: food and water must be found to survive the hike. 2: in the dark with no compass you can get lost, and short of crouching the entire way up to the north, you can easily pull aggro from a barn or town unseen when walking in the forest.

There just needs to be some balance, if rocket wants to take our vision away at night, the same needs to be done to zeds. The stealth system only randomly works.