Sign in to follow this  
KevinCaution

Here's my specs, wtf.

I have a 660TISC, and a AMD FX 8120 OC'd to 4.0GHz. There should be no reason I can't run this game at decent frames. But hey, yeah hello. ~15 frames on a freshly restarted server. Anyone have similar specs help me out?

ArmA 2 isn't optimized for today's technology, so you could have a beast of a machine but only pull a low amount of frames.

Also apparently the new patch has been causing some FPS lag issues.

ArmA 2 isn't optimized for today's technology, so you could have a beast of a machine but only pull a low amount of frames.

Also apparently the new patch has been causing some FPS lag issues.

How dare you say that. arma 2 IS NOT poorly optimized and has no issues with technology of today. lemme guess kevin your arma2/dayz is installed on your C drive, is that correct? and that c drive just happens to be a 7200rpm HDD, is that also correct?

How dare you say that. arma 2 IS NOT poorly optimized and has no issues with technology of today. lemme guess kevin your arma2/dayz is installed on your C drive, is that correct? and that c drive just happens to be a 7200rpm HDD, is that also correct?

Yes sir.

Sir can you please run 3Dmark benchmark and make the physics test cause I have 4-6fps with physic test and 45 at the graphic test, phisics is dependant on CPU and I think I have the same issue as you, I have a theory that I want to proof, the demo is not enough to benchmark you need the full version, if you are creative you can find a way to get it in the internet or PM me.

Yes sir.

The issue you are having is very unique which most games have never and mostly will never run the way arma 2 games run but seeing how dayz and arma 3 have made such a name, you can expect many great game in the future, so if you enjoy armas delightful design and gameplay then a Solid State Drive would highly benefit you in more ways than just one. The problem you are having is your 7200rpm HDD has mechanical moving parts, at 7200rpm just isn't fast enough. You see, arma 2 run's it's game through hundreds of Image files called PBO files, which have many different functions. Such as, Weapons,air,sound,water,environment,trees,grass,vehicles, skin models, anything and everything you see in arma 2 is because of those files. Now, arma 2 runs entirely off Indexing those PBO files, thats why a 7200rpm Harddrive cannot dish out the index fast enough for the processor and gpu, For example, your cpu and gpu are sitting there tapping their feet, waiting for the harddrive to give the data needed for the cpu and gpu to move forward at a stable rate.

Now, 2 ways to do this, 1 being the one i recommend the most. Is buy a SSD set it up as a 2ndary harddrive and install only steam and all of arma games to it and use it as a gaming/video harddrive then use the HDD you have now as the main HDD that holds the OS and main system files.

Or you could get a SSD to fit your entire computer on, though, i do not recommend that because the life of a SSD does not compare to the life of a HDD by any means, if a HDD burns, you can retrieve the lost data, if a SSD burns out, data is lost for ever, cannot ghost or retrieve data from a Burnt SSD.

Hence the reason i strongly recommend it as a 2ndary!

The issue you are having is very unique which most games have never and mostly will never run the way arma 2 games run but seeing how dayz and arma 3 have made such a name, you can expect many great game in the future, so if you enjoy armas delightful design and gameplay then a Solid State Drive would highly benefit you in more ways than just one. The problem you are having is your 7200rpm HDD has mechanical moving parts, at 7200rpm just isn't fast enough. You see, arma 2 run's it's game through hundreds of Image files called PBO files, which have many different functions. Such as, Weapons,air,sound,water,environment,trees,grass,vehicles, skin models, anything and everything you see in arma 2 is because of those files. Now, arma 2 runs entirely off Indexing those PBO files, thats why a 7200rpm Harddrive cannot dish out the index fast enough for the processor and gpu, For example, your cpu and gpu are sitting there tapping their feet, waiting for the harddrive to give the data needed for the cpu and gpu to move forward at a stable rate.

Now, 2 ways to do this, 1 being the one i recommend the most. Is buy a SSD set it up as a 2ndary harddrive and install only steam and all of arma games to it and use it as a gaming/video harddrive then use the HDD you have now as the main HDD that holds the OS and main system files.

Or you could get a SSD to fit your entire computer on, though, i do not recommend that because the life of a SSD does not compare to the life of a HDD by any means, if a HDD burns, you can retrieve the lost data, if a SSD burns out, data is lost for ever, cannot ghost or retrieve data from a Burnt SSD.

Hence the reason i strongly recommend it as a 2ndary!

What if I were to use a large USB 3.0 that could fit steam and at least DayZ onto it? Would that be better than having it run on my 7200HDD?

Two issues:

- If you run 3dMark benches, as i and others recommend, then compare your score to similar systems, same hardware. A personal score as such is not very helpful, you need to compare your score to ensure that you don't have a basic performance problem.

- As recommended by =DiG= Zgraphz, just buy a small 60GB SSD, they are cheap now, doesn't even has to be latest generation. I use a Vertex1.

as long as what ever ur using runs as a NTFS then it can run .exe command which allows u to play games, if its a storage device, no