murdawg

Can't do much...

I've been playing for a few hours now, but since I start with no weapons it seems like if a zombie see's me its over. They don't seem to stop chasing me, and I have no way of killing them, what am I doing wrong? Been searching around everywhere for a weapon but all I've been able to find are big wood splitting axe's that I can't seem to pick up. Come to think of it, I haven't found anything I can pick up even though I've searched through a bunch of buildings before eventually getting spotted and dying.

• Like 1

I assume you mean the axes wedged in the stumps? Yes, those are "furniture" and you can't pick them up, but there are hatchets that will spawn in barns and industrial buildings. This is the best weapon in the game at he moment in my opinion, at least in the respect of how easy it is to find one compared to anything else useful against zombies.

So as soon as you spawn, head for either the docks of the coastal towns or for any visible barns. If it spawned a hatchet, you'll find it lying on the ground flat. In order to pick it up you have to look at directly and scroll your mouse wheel, and click on "take hatchet". Remove it from your toolbelt in the gear menu and you're ready to kill some zombies.

If you don't find one and have a zed on your tail, just run around corners, through 2 entrance buildings, up steep hills, and through pine trees and bushes. They'll let up eventually.

• Like 4

You need to crawl more and run less.

Unfortunately you can't pick up the wood chopping axes in the stumps you will find around. You can find Axes around, but they will be laying on the ground.

If... er... When you do get spotted by a zombie your best bet will be to break line of sight multiple times, using buildings or trees/bushes if you aren't in a city. Keep an eye on your sound and visibility and remember zombies can't run indoors, so you can use that to your advantage by running through buildings to give yourself a little breathing room.

Ignore axes stuck it tree stumps. They are just visuals. Look in barns and industrial type buildings for an axe. I really think you'll have better luck surviving in a few days, when a patch is installed.

For now you can practice total zombie avoidance - and dying.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been crouching and crawling as much as I can but they always seem to get me eventually. I'll keep at it and maybe do some searching for barns and practice dying some more

• Like 1

Never give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's amazing how at first the game seems impossible and over time you learn to master it. The zeds are particularly challenging at the moment due to the recent patch, but it is possible to survive and thrive.

You're at the very hardest moment in your DayZ history, learning the very basics. It get's a lot easier but it takes time and patience to learn.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

my advice would be to hit up the larger town and scramble for a hunting knife, matches water can, a tin can and a hatchet

then you can live off the land and figure out that next plan of action

the server I currently play on gives players one box of antibiotics at spawn so every now and again I head to the shore to kill a few people to get a good stock of the stuff.

I dunno, just not having any luck i guess, found a bit of ammo but no weapons, someone gave me a lee but no ammo for that either. Can't get away from zeds for the life of me, around buildings between bushes, they just keep coming lol. Might have to switch to a server that starts you with weapons (if such a thing exists) as its just not fun sneaking around for an hour just to have one of them see me and have to die to start over again

I dunno, just not having any luck i guess, found a bit of ammo but no weapons, someone gave me a lee but no ammo for that either. Can't get away from zeds for the life of me, around buildings between bushes, they just keep coming lol. Might have to switch to a server that starts you with weapons (if such a thing exists) as its just not fun sneaking around for an hour just to have one of them see me and have to die to start over again

and this ladies and gentleman, is why I am deathly afraid of 1.7.7

• Like 1

it takes 2 shots with a m24 to kill one zombie wtf!!!!???? in the new patch 1.7.7

it takes 2 shots with a m24 to kill one zombie wtf!!!!???? in the new patch 1.7.7

The viral zombies - yes.

Just don't give up. You'll get the hang of it. This patch in particular is beastly, it even threw the pros for a loop, but we all adjust and survive, and you will too. Just know, when you do have aggro, as long as you keep moving and don't run directly at a zombie, you won't die from them.

There are private servers that do start you out with a weapon on spawn, varying from hatchets and crossbows to sniper rifles and machine guns, and while they can be fun, I don't think they represent the true DayZ experience. It's up to you if you want to seek them out, but know that you'll be a better survivor if you can do it with nothing.

• Like 2

best way to lose the infected are buildings with two exits - run in through one exit, wait a while until the zeds shuffle inside (they can only walk inside buildings) and then run out the other exit.. churches and other buildings with one exit but a lot of space to maneuver work too

here's a few of the most common buildings with two exits:

http://db.dayzwiki.c...-storage-barn-1

http://db.dayzwiki.c...light-red-brick

http://db.dayzwiki.c...-dark-red-brick

http://db.dayzwiki.c...s/19-workshop-4

http://db.dayzwiki.c...s/28-barn-brown

http://db.dayzwiki.c...dings/16-garage

less common:

http://db.dayzwiki.c...fice-building-1

http://db.dayzwiki.c...4-supermarket-1

sometimes it pays to aggro as many zeds as you can, lure them into one such building and leave them there so that you can get back to looting the other buildings

and try to avoid running on hard surfaces (e.g. roads), it makes a lot of noise.. only do it if you are intentionally pulling zeds

alternatively you can wait until it gets dark which reduces zed vision a lot and makes it much safer to loot towns.. if it gets too dark you can use flares to light up whole areas (or reposition zeds since they react to it) or chemlights to light up small area around you (it is safe to carry a chemlight, zeds do not react to it, unlike to flares)

Edited by moriak

Don't give up. We've all been there.

May your days in Chernarus all be without rain and your coyote backpack filled with many good loots. I wish you luck.

• Like 1

Hi Murdawg. Axes that you can pick up can be found in big metal barns with blue doors, in small sheds on the outskirts of town. You won't find them in town. For example, in Elektro I go down to the industrial area and look in all the little sheds as well as the big blue doored barns that are often close to the river. Invariably, you will eventually find one in those but always go back and double check as they can take time to spawn. :thumbsup:

new hotfix makes the zed issue a little easier buddy, update and try your luck on an updated server

Well I think this game is gonna be a waste of money for me :( way too hard for my taste, good luck guys, maybe I'll check it out again if they make some changes

Farewell, sir Murdawg. Thou shall be missed. We will keep this thread here, as a beaken of light, for you to find your way back. Someday hopefully. A better day.

Murdawg I'll hop on with you and show you the basics if you like. It can be daunting at first but once you start mastering survival, it's a very rewarding experience. Pm me if you'd like ;)