Sign in to follow this  
Composite Armour

Are Helicopters worth the effort?

If you play with a group of players it is worth the trouble. Only let a person who you trust fly it. You don't want some Bambi to try to fly it and just end up crashing in a tree on take-off killing all of you.

you tell me. what do you use them for? not everyone is gonna have use for a helo. some people might want to use one all the time. sure if you camp out cherno everyday then no. if you go on loot runs to support your group and such things than yes. -_- thought this would be obvious. not everyone plays the same way.

yes then can be very beneficial.

usually want a tight compadre to help you tho.

o and play Arma2 and learn how to fly!

Edited by methr1k2dop3

Least stealthy vehicle, not so much faster than a car, and as you said, a very easy target. I'd be better off with an SUV.

No

biggest waste of time ever

90% of the time it will just get stolen after you spend all that time to fix it up

I'll never forget my first time. Spent hours and hours repairing a helicopter to fly it for 35 seconds before crashing. Greatest thrill ever. Biplane too. Now I can fly much better (but cannot land the biplane). It is very fun to fly around and I suggest trying it. What else are you going to do? Hide? Player kill? Survival is boring if there is nothing to do so I pretty much try to find a toolbox and fix vehicles, that's a challenge. And learning how to fly.

• Like 2

Helis are awesome as long as you do not care about losing them when you are offline. Have a tent where you can stash your repair parts so you are not just adding them to the chopper as you go, if you have not finished gathering the bits by the time you want to log put them on you in case anyone finds said tent.

Learn how to fly or its all down the tube. Learn how to fly fast and low so you can minimise the time you are under fire, don't hover like an idiot over hot pvp spots :) Carry spares onboard.

Best combo is someone on the ground in a car and and two in the chopper , you can fly high enough to be out of range and a good recce unit for them , covering them while they are looting a wreck or an area. Even by yourself though you can have a ball. Just treat them the same as the number 1 'dont get attached to your gear' rule.

• Like 1

If you find one that has enough fuel and repair to fly, fly it over Cherno/Elektro and bail. Make sure you don't parachute onto a building you can't get off of (or game over). The helicopter will scare the fuck out of someone. Shoot that someone when they go to investigate.

They are fun to fly and i usually give it away if im logging out.. Give someone else a thrill. For some people getting a working chopper is a big buzz.. its only 'gear' as such. Easy come easy go..

I find them to only be useful if I find one fully or very nearly fully repaired, but then again I'm a solo player, so I use to just fly around and maybe taxi people. I don't bother hiding them when it comes time to log off. I either leave them in an obvious place like Cherno/Elektro or crash them into buildings/cars/camps/other helis.

I generally play on the 300+ cars 25+ helicopter servers where they happen to be just sitting around. So yeah, it that case they are totally awesome to fly. But since I play infrequently as a lone wolf, I just can't invest that much time putting together a helicopter only to have it stolen once I log off.

• Like 1

They are fun to fly and i usually give it away if im logging out.. Give someone else a thrill. For some people getting a working chopper is a big buzz.. its only 'gear' as such. Easy come easy go..

yes.

when you spend the hours to fix one usually you should make sure you have time to use it.

every time i get my grubby fingers on one and try to hide it so i can get some sleep some one takes it or a server restart eats it.

i STRONGLY recommend doing the basic training for helicopters in Arma2. Be able to fly a helicopter and plane with perfectness and nothing less or just avoid them or this

and its back to the coast for you.

I have a buddy i play with.

we fix up a plane or helicopter.

i fly to good loot spots.

he ejects out.

i pick him up.

and we stash our loot in the woods.

If you don't play with a large group, and find a heli that needs a lot of repairs then no. If you play alone i suggest the plane, you only need fuel.

If you play alone don't bother. Really don't. If you are in a group then it is a great way of transport and it's good to hunt people down with aswell.

I'll never forget my first time. Spent hours and hours repairing a helicopter to fly it for 35 seconds before crashing. Greatest thrill ever. Biplane too. Now I can fly much better (but cannot land the biplane). It is very fun to fly around and I suggest trying it. What else are you going to do? Hide? Player kill? Survival is boring if there is nothing to do so I pretty much try to find a toolbox and fix vehicles, that's a challenge. And learning how to fly.

:D

I spent hours fixing my first heli to crash it directly in the hangar where I found it. ^^

Shortly after that I spent hours fixing my second heli which I tried to hide far away in the north. The coordinates were 184 913 or something like this. Far away North-East anyways. I loged out an the day later, when I came back, I spawned at Kamenka. Since I was unsure if the Heli is still there, guess what? Yes I run the whole way from Kamenka to that coordinates. Round about 30km, if I remember correctly (at some point I started to hold the W-Key down by clamping it with a spoon). And of cause, hours of running later, I just had to realize the Heli was gone, all loot with it. I loged out an didn't touch DayZ for almost a week.

Edited by Ken Bean
  • Like 2

:D

I spent hours fixing my first heli to crash it directly in the hangar where I found it. ^^

Shortly after that I spent hours fixing my second heli which I tried to hide far away in the north. The coordinates were 184 913 or something like this. Far away North-East anyways. I loged out an the day later, when I came back, I spawned at Kamenka. Since I was unsure if the Heli is still there, guess what? Yes I run the whole way from Kamenka to that coordinates. Round about 30km, if I remember correctly (at some point I started to hold the W-Key down by clamping it with a spoon). And of cause, hours of running later, I just had to realize the Heli was gone, all loot with it. I loged out an didn't touch DayZ for almost a week.

Did you park it beyond debug? Unless your server is a bit radged they should stay put.

As for the topic, there is nothing quite like finding a Huey on a busy server and zooming over Cherno and Elektro just to wind them up and halt the team deathmatch for a few secs

Did you park it beyond debug? Unless your server is a bit radged they should stay put.

I don't know. How could I tell if it was beyond debug? Maybe it was the server trolling me, like usual. ;D

I don't know. How could I tell if it was beyond debug? Maybe it was the server trolling me, like usual. ;D

Did you park it beyond the visible line which runs all the way along the north of the map?

Did you park it beyond the visible line which runs all the way along the north of the map?

Can't remember having seen a line I crossed. But good to know there's one, I'll keep that in mind next time.

I think this is a universal experience for all bambies. I actually managed to get it out of the hangar....

... but flipped it immediately upon leaving it. Too many emotions. I cut an onion so I had an excuse for all the tears.

• Like 2

You mean this line? This one I definately crossed. By maybe 15 km.

post-152772-0-43545000-1371322271_thumb.

I think this is a universal experience for all bambies. I actually managed to get it out of the hangar....

... but flipped it immediately upon leaving it. Too many emotions. I cut an onion so I had an excuse for all the tears.

Yep, it's not like you found this parts in a few hours. But all the time is wasted in a few seconds. ^^

Edited by Ken Bean

One epic night when I was new, found a little bird spawn at devils castle. All green, no fuel. Had a white skoda and I embarked on a refuel quest driving to the grishino barn to fill my 2 jerrys, being new I did 3 trips. Mission successful I flew to the same barn tank and filled it nearly to the brim. Flew to debug, was getting the landing neat when I gave it a bit too much W and face planted the thing straight into the ground.

Although I should have been banging my head against the keyboard I laughed and logged off. I suppose I learnt from it

You mean this line? Yep definately crossed. By maybe 15 km.

post-152772-0-43545000-1371322271_thumb.

Yep, it's not like you found this parts in a few hours. But all the time is wasted in a few seconds. ^^

Yep that's the line

• Like 1