Sign in to follow this  
scaramoosh

One thing that has me worried about the Standalone...

I'm no gun expert but I'm pretty sure it doesn't feel like a pea shooter either and in games to make guns feel powerful you have to exaggerate certain things.

I just found a very good video demonstrating just that:

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 2

I just found a very good video demonstrating just that:

Yes but you can still see he can feel the power of the gun, my point is you need to convey the gun is powerful otherwise it just isn't satisfying and atm it feels like a pea shooter in the game. Like I said they need to exaggerate certain things as we cannot feel the gun like you can in real life.

Remember that this is just an Alpha verision.. it'll be a first verision of the game and then they will update it and im sure that in the Beta it will be much better (and in Last verision the full game it will be best)..

so what im saying is, that right now we will have to settele this verision..

For my opinion it will be the best to buy the game now when it is alpha for low price

What I don't understand though is how you can go backwards, that is my worry is they're making these changes in an effort to appeal to more people, when really it isn't the step in the right direction.

I actually liked the more fluid movement and the weapon handling, i`m pretty sure i heard dean or matt say in a video that shooting while running would decrease accuracy so i`m fine with that.

What worries me the most is how rocket showcases the Standalone. He wants to develop it more into a survival game with less military loot and dangerous zombies. And he shows us a man with an AK running through the streets like a madman who ignores the zombies at all or shoots them with his primary which should attract a shitload of them. He gets hit muliple times by zombies and nothing happens. I dont know if he has godmode on or if they will tweak the zombies later but what i have seen so far looks even easier than the mod. I`m not sure if they tweaked this for showcasing (more health, lower zombie spawns) or if this is actually the way it will play?

Also there are some changes which i consider worse than the mod:

- the colors: The colors and the lighting of the arma 2 engine fitted so perfectly to a depressing zombie apocalypse. Now the colors are just way too bright.

- some animations: Please, please redo the prone animation. It is far worse than the original and it looks exactly as stupid as the warz prone-swimming... the crouch walk also looks a bit retarded... also some zombie animations are worse than before, the zombie walking with his upper part of the body bent backwards... looks like he is doing limbo

- jumping: i was discussing dayz with a friend some days ago and he told me he didnt like there was no jumping. So i asked him "what would you do in a zombie apocalypse where every injury could be your end: vault or jump over fences?". he was convinced immediately. I agree, it is more fluid. But it is not realistic and i dont want to see any bunny hoppers in dayz.

- inventory: as others have stated, the old inventory (except bugs like loosing weapons in 8 slot backpacks) was absolutely fitting for dayz, it was not the easiest to use but this simulated the time you would need in real life. Also its a little bit strange at the moment, a jeans has 6 slots. Try to run with 6 cans of pasta in your jeans pockets in real life...

- the quick use bar: wasnt it the goal to get rid of the user interface as much as possible? And now we have a quick use bar appearing at the bottom of the screen. I hope this can be disabled, its so immersion breaking.

- damage not fitting to zombie animations and positions: this looks also worse than the mod, in the videos you can see the character being far away from zombies and he is still getting damage, we have this issue in the mod also but here it just looks worse. You should only take damage if a zombie animation is completed to a certain percentage next to you.

Just to clarify, im a huge fan and i really look forward to the standalone, this is just meant as constructive criticism. There is also a ton of things i like (clothing system, loot placement, the new parts of the map, crafting, fluid movement, the new grass looks great, more enterable buildings, interiours look great, the zombie knockdowns look great,...), but some of my points really worry me if this is going into a direction i like.

edit: and of course i know its an alpha and things are going to change.. but if there is no feedback no one knows what to change ;)

Edited by okami

i have said this too many people.

part of the dayz fun is the quirkyness or things not working or glitching on a building falling off and your mate laughing at you.

once it becomes so fluid and slick half of the fun will be gone that made the mod so great to play.

things that are random or not meant to happen by choice add a extra bit of unknown. taking this unknown out makes for stale gameplay.

No, having quirky (ie buggy) behaviour is fun and to be expected in the mod and I agree it leads to some fun situations, however in a game people are paying for it's not really as acceptable. We can laugh it off in the mod because we understand that a) it's free and b ) it's a mod.

I like how they are addressing these issues and we need to give it more time to see how it goes but just saying we should keep it buggy because it's fun doesn't wash with me. I hope they find a nice balance over time between responsiveness (being able to break animations) and the slower more thoughtful approach many of us have grown to love about Arma, there must be a nice balance between the two somewhere.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

^ they turned zombie damage off for the demonstration.

^ also if you are running away from a Zombie you are going to vault a small 2 foot fence. I'm not sure about this "every injury could be your end" idea, how fragile do you think humans are? We existed thousands of years ago in the wild. The 'surivors' in this apocalypse are already going to be the fitter, stronger, smarter, more agile people.

I like the fluid movement, people move fluidly IRL, also guns do not have as massive recoil as people think they do.

As long as fundamentals like stance, recoil, fire mode, movement etc are considered I don't really understand how anyone could ever worry the gunplay could become close to COD.

Simply firing prone from the shoulder in a stationarly position will be the most accurate type of fire and it gets less accurate from there.

I'm not sure about this "every injury could be your end" idea, how fragile do you think humans are? We existed thousands of years ago in the wild. The 'surivors' in this apocalypse are already going to be the fitter, stronger, smarter, more agile people.

Surely we've survived this long by using our brains though, not by tackling every threat head on, hopefully this will be the case in the game too.

Don't read too much into this video, it's obviously nowhere near what will be released to us, it's just a rush build for the E3 journo's.

^ they turned zombie damage off for the demonstration.

Then they should either not do it (because it does not show the real gameplay) or they should make it crystal clear. I`m a fan, i can look past this. But as you might have noticed the amount of haters grows and things like that are fuel to their fire...

^ also if you are running away from a Zombie you are going to vault a small 2 foot fence. I'm not sure about this "every injury could be your end" idea, how fragile do you think humans are? We existed thousands of years ago in the wild. The 'surivors' in this apocalypse are already going to be the fitter, stronger, smarter, more agile people.

And our maximum age was less than 40 before we invented modern health care. If you are on your own without medical aid in a world full of infected would you really risk an injury?

Maybe you would do a side vault over a fence like in that arma animation pack but you would never ever bunny hop a fence when there is the risk to stumble and fall.

Edited by okami

Surely we've survived this long by using our brains though, not by tackling every threat head on, hopefully this will be the case in the game too.

I agree, but I think people are looking too much into the standalone playthrough. They are just showing you examples so it's going to in ultra easy mode to enable them to quickly do that. Otherwise, it's "let me show you the new crafting system, but hang on for 15 minutes whilst I crawl from house to house". It's the same reason Frankie doesn't show looting/travelling in his videos as it's just not entertaining.

I still also think that considering the situation that guy had put himself in, i.e. running pull pelt through houses with Zombies chasing a normal person would vault stuff.

Am I the only one concerned about the jumping zombies?

Nope, this worried me as well. The guy Matt was talking about the weapons and the 'plausibility' of finding big snipers, but where is the plausibility of these infected, sick, and decaying humans leaping around like cats?

Then they should either not do it (because it does not show the real gameplay) or they should make it crystal clear. I`m a fan, i can look past this. But as you might have noticed the amount of haters grows and things like that are fuel to their fire...

No I agree there, they should have just reduced the number of zombies.

And our maximum age was less than 40 before we invented modern health care. If you are on your own without medical aid in a world full of infected would you really risk an injury?

Maybe you would do a side vault over a fence like in that arma animation pack but you would never ever bunny hop a fence when there is the risk to stumble and fall.

Average age not maximum age, things like infant mortality and various diseased etc brought it massively down. IIRC they have found pre-historic humans that live to 50-60 years old,. Hence why I made the survival of the fittest reference.

Also as I said above I think if you are running from a zombie horde, as the situation that guy put himself in you would take calculated risks and vaulting over a small fence is not much of a risk. I think most people would try to avoid being in that situation in the first place, but once there the falling over the fence is the least of your worries.

Edited by tajjuk

Should the gameplay really be this casual in the SA I'm not interested.

Don't worry, it's actually moving on the opposite direction, it's going to be harder. Don't let some buggy animations from a game in heavy development put you off.

An ak doesnt really have that much recoil irl, if you learned shooting stances. M95 or Ak is considered pea shooters within the military.

The Ak-74 doesn't have much kick. It would stupid to make it feel "powerful".

I'm no gun expert but I'm pretty sure it doesn't feel like a pea shooter either and in games to make guns feel powerful you have to exaggerate certain things.

Actually it does.

Sorry just have to laugh that some people will miss the old inventory system and some of the more clunky elements of the mod. Sure we got used to them but they sucked, that was always one of the reasons a standalone was going to be better. Better UI and movement is a positive in my book. I have not played it yet but I doubt they will go full run and gun like other FPS titles so all they are really doing is fixing obviously flawed aspects from the mod.

As far as the zombies, animations are going to change quite a bit over development so what you are seeing now is a rough draft. Anything will be better than the zombies in the mod so they really have nowhere to go but up.

• Like 1