Jasmer

I believe there should be some sort of Classification

About banditry and just murderers.

Not everyone is a bandit there is actually more Murderers

Bandit: A robber or outlaw belonging to a gang and typically operating in an isolated or lawless area.

That is a bandit which is someone who will hold you up and not kill you unless you are a obvious threat after you lose your weaponry.

a murderer however is: a criminal who commits homicide (who performs the unlawful premeditated killing of another human being).

This is the majority of people who consider themselves "bandits" these are the people who will just kill someone for shits and giggles they are not bandits

the question is which sounds more like you. and which do you believe you are.

This is a fun topic feel free to take it into a orderly debate.

Edited by Jasmer
  • Like 4

I have very rarely run into "highway men" on this game, most "bandits" just KOS. I actually respect these highway men that rob others, as they are taking a risk by not killing their victims immediately. Maybe not as much of a risk as heros/medics, but more of a risk than these COD kiddies that just KOS for the hell of it. Also the definitions make it sound much better, nice post.

Edited by TheBambiAvenger

Hello there

These are just catchall terms.

Heroes are in the main not at all "heroic" in their actions and as you pointed out bandits rarely stop and rob folk. One could call the "leet doodz" and "carebares" or "idiots" and "normals"

However I do get your point and it would be nice if we were not all tarred with the same two brushes.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

i know they are catchcall terms and all but not many people actually think about the difference lok.

However I do get your point and it would be nice if we were not all tarred with the same two brushes.

I'll say it once, and say it again. Just because someone KoS's that doesn't make them a CoD kiddy, or whatever insult you deem fit.

Now, if you shoot freshies, that's a different story.

oh XD i didnt see that part of your message.

gotta read all those pesky words!

Haha indeed what player are you like orlok?

Hello there

I play cautiously. I'm almost always friendly but not sociable and mostly solo. I've killed players 3 times (confirmed kills). 2 Were a mistaken/possible threat. And one was a cold blooded murder, for which I *still* feel dreadful about.

So, on the whole I would err towards the Hero playstyle, but 'm definitely not a hero, I'm a survivor.

Rgds

LoK

I've never really enjoyed being labelled as either.

I used to play as a medic (for many months) and contrary to popular belief that style of play can actually lead to a lot of confrontation/firefights that would otherwise be avoided. As a result of that I was often tagged with a bandit skin even though my sole aim in the game was to provide medical aid to strangers that asked for it via the forums etc.

I'll always open fire on anyone I deem a threat to myself of my group but that can usually be avoided if you approach certain areas carefully and make your intentions clear.

I'm hoping the SA eventually explores more subtle and varied ways of giving others visual clues as to your play stlye.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Holding people up usually results in one of two outcomes. You or the victim end up dead or the person being held up combat logs. I have only completed one successful robbery and the guy did not have anything I wanted in the first place. Out of five other attempts three attempts resulted in one side dying and the other two combat logged.

When I am in a bandit mood I only have two rules, I do not lie to people about my intentions and I do not kill fresh spawns. Otherwise I am a KoS Call of Battlefied noob.

I agree with that: 'I'm hoping the SA eventually explores more subtle and varied ways of giving others visual clues as to your play style.' That one step in the right direction in my opinion.

More crying about badits KOS? Robbing people might be a viable option if people didn't have the ability to combat log, or log off in general when they're being robbed. It's a futile endevour and always makes me laugh at people who think that is how bandits are supposed to play the game. I will play the game however I want.

Although, you could say I rob people all the time, except I make sure they're laying face down on the ground with a bullet in their skull.

More crying about badits KOS? Robbing people might be a viable option if people didn't have the ability to combat log, or log off in general when they're being robbed. It's a futile endevour and always makes me laugh at people who think that is how bandits are supposed to play the game. I will play the game however I want.

Although, you could say I rob people all the time, except I make sure they're laying face down on the ground with a bullet in their skull.

lol im not crying about bandits KOSing im just saying someone who just KOS'ses is nothing but a murderer really. a bandit by def is what i stated above.

I dunno what server you play on but everytime I tried to rob someone he just turned around to shoot me. Killing is a matter of position. If you are North then everyone is a threat. If you're south then you can take the chances to be friendly or just rob. Bandits are the reason DayZ is fun, the fact that you can get shot any second makes it intense. I am a bandit, I kill for the loot and for my own safety. Sure I'll not kill an unarmed guy, or a person 1000m away running away from me minding his own buissiness, but I will kill a guy in Stary or NWAF just cause he is in my dangerzone and he WILL shoot me as soon as he spots me.

A bandit is a person that robs/raids/kills for his own safety or the loot he wants, and he survives. A fagit(fag-bandit?) is a 10 y.o. kid coming over from COD shooting unarmed guys in Elektro, I think that's the kind of "bandits" you're angry with.

I agree with that: 'I'm hoping the SA eventually explores more subtle and varied ways of giving others visual clues as to your play style.' That one step in the right direction in my opinion.

As SGL and Frag's pointed out visual cues would be helpful for those of us who cant/wont are unable to use a microphone. Yelling "im friendly!" just isnt an option for many of us.

I hope the devs take that into consideration.

Rgds

LoK

As SGL and Frag's pointed out visual cues would be helpful for those of us who cant/wont are unable to use a microphone. Yelling "im friendly!" just isnt an option for many of us.

I quite like the idea of having to find out about a player by good old fashioned methods. As the OP points out there are so many shades of behaviour that it is far too simplistic to try and demonstrate a players personality and play style with visual cues. The current system is not bad but it's far from perfect, there are bandits who shoot and bloodbag eachother to get the hero skin, there are good honurable guys who just happen to kill those who attack them and become 'self defence' bandit skins.

In real life there is no way to tell what a person is like by what he wears etc and so this should be the case in DayZ, I love it when I meet a player in game and there is that nervous exchange while i try to figure him out, sometimes I get it right, often I get it wrong and that is all part of the game, in fact the human interactions and the uncertainty that comes with that is what I love most about this game.

for those without mic's, I can see where you're coming from but how can you show a players play style visually? I have several characters on private hives, most are heroes but I have bandits and survivors too, I always play the same way but sometimes circumstances dictate how my avatar looks.

Edited by (MUC) Feral

Hello there

How to achieve the visual cues? Lord knows, lucky i'm not a dev :)

I don't mean a visual representation of a character in a cape, top hat and a curly moustache to represent a villain, or looking like Beiber to represent a hero, rather some kind of way of communicating one's intentions to another without mic use.

Rgds

LoK

That gives me an idea - White flags lol, Off to suggestions me thinks.

Edited by (MUC) Feral
  • Like 1

Yes you are correct that those are the definitions of those words and they are different survival styles, however in DayZ, the community has more or less decided that bandit = killer. Just as bambi = new player and Hero = medic, it's a social definition that isn't entirely true to the dictionary definition. Most call the robbers highwaymen and whatnot, but no, there is no in-game visual cue to tell people "Oh, he's just a robber, he won't kill us if we comply."

I'm wondering though, how would that be implemented? You will have to kill some of your targets eventually, how would you have the game differentiate that from KoS playstyle? If you based it off of taking things out of people's backpacks or tents, what about groups that play together, people that meet up and team up, or traders? Would they fall victim to the "robber" label?

When it's all said and done, it's not in the game, and probably won't be. In Standalone, there will be no humanity based skins, so the worst you'd have to do is was the blood off your hands from the last unsuccessful hold up. I commend you for mixing things up and actually holding people up to interact with them before you take their stuff. Just know that there are people like me out there who won't immediately battle log or turn around and shoot right away. I wait for an opening ;)

• Like 1

You have serial killers because being a bandit is all RP and there aren't any mechanics that directly support that gameplay, or encourage it over simply murdering people. There is no meaningful consequence to murder and rummaging through a live person's gear takes a lot longer than sorting out a corpse - the corpse posses a lot less risk as well.

KOS mentality has nothing to do with there not being surrender mechanics (like white flags, hands up, etc...) and everything to do with the risk/reward of the actual gameplay mechanics.

Yes you are correct that those are the definitions of those words and they are different survival styles, however in DayZ, the community has more or less decided that bandit = killer. Just as bambi = new player and Hero = medic, it's a social definition that isn't entirely true to the dictionary definition. Most call the robbers highwaymen and whatnot, but no, there is no in-game visual cue to tell people "Oh, he's just a robber, he won't kill us if we comply."

I'm wondering though, how would that be implemented? You will have to kill some of your targets eventually, how would you have the game differentiate that from KoS playstyle? If you based it off of taking things out of people's backpacks or tents, what about groups that play together, people that meet up and team up, or traders? Would they fall victim to the "robber" label?

When it's all said and done, it's not in the game, and probably won't be. In Standalone, there will be no humanity based skins, so the worst you'd have to do is was the blood off your hands from the last unsuccessful hold up. I commend you for mixing things up and actually holding people up to interact with them before you take their stuff. Just know that there are people like me out there who won't immediately battle log or turn around and shoot right away. I wait for an opening ;)

I normally dont play the robber unless i absolutely need to or im going to die. i love being a hero

ps. haha i have a friend ODgaming who rolled with tmw i used to help him out you probably know him jon.

Edited by Jasmer

I agree whenever I play as a bandit now I might actually just Rob people instead of killing them, sounds fun. :D

• Like 1

The problem that I run into is the "unarmed" soon become armed. So because I'm a bandit, i'm a target. I have not killed players because they weren't armed, only to have them find a gun, come back and kill me. So if i'm in a city or building, and bump into an unarmed player, he's toast. When i'm sniping, I generally don't kill fresh spawns because I will alert others of my presence and possibly miss out on the opportunity to kill someone more interesting, or give away my location to the more dangerous players. But I must admit, when i'm on a hill or building sniping, it's damn funny watching a newbie run around trying to figure out where the shot is coming from.