TresCom (DayZ)

Ghillie dude at stary....

71 members have voted

1. 1. would you shoot?

• yarah, Bandit! *pew* *Pew* (kills)
    • Nah man, i will give him a chance... (don't kill)
    • Jump off a cliff of frustration which one to choose (i dont know)

Not the choice for cowards, a sniper is the choice for someone who is selective with their decisions and knows that having a plan and properly scouting means the difference between life and deat, and prefers to make sure that if things go wrong, they have the ability to get away or adjust plans quickly. If you are 5 feet from your enemy thats shooting at you there isnt much room to make adjustments, but if you are sitting a few hundred meters out and see an enemy, you can adjust plans as needed.

No, the traits you describe could easily be applied to those who favour hatchets or assault rifles or indeed anyone with a set of binoculars. what sets sniper rifles apart is that they remove the user from the proximity of the kill and reduce the chances of recrimination, things actively sought by the cowardly.

The only times it is ok to use a sniper rifle imho is to help a distant survivor by dropping zeds or to shoot another sniper who is looking at you through his scope, any other use is clearly cowardly by it's very nature.

Edited by (MUC) Feral

You cant make the same adjustments as someone that is 5 meters away and someone that is 500 meters away. Too many variables.

Yes removing yourself from the proximity of the kill is not cowardly its safe. Two people shooting at eachother from 5 meters away both are pretty screwed, but someone dropping well placed rounds from 500 meters away is safe.

So its cowardly to be smart and safe? Thats the same logic used in the revolutionary war- So i guess we should all stand 100 feet apart and take turns shooting eachother because thats not cowardly?

While you are 'brave' shooting eachother from 5 feet apart, ill be behind the tree 200 meters away laughing while you both bleed to death becuase I was able to make the decision to stay away, which you cant do when you are 5 feet away.

So its cowardly to be smart and safe? Thats the same logic used in the revolutionary war- So i guess we should all stand 100 feet apart and take turns shooting eachother because thats not cowardly?

No, you don't need to kill someone who is half a kilometre away to be safe, and betraying your location with a shot might not be described as smart. I must insist that it's cowardly to shoot at someone who poses no direct threat to you and has little chance of defending himself or responding in kind.

Edited by (MUC) Feral

Rule of a sniper, never fire from the same place twice. NEVER. Once a round is fired, you move. You can tell a threat by how they act, if they are hostile toward other players, and by behavior. Not to mention Snipers usually have a friend in the town they are overlooking so hostility or friendly is quickly established.

Rule of a sniper, never fire from the same place twice. NEVER. Once a round is fired, you move. You can tell a threat by how they act, if they are hostile toward other players, and by behavior. Not to mention Snipers usually have a friend in the town they are overlooking so hostility or friendly is quickly established.

I agree that, for the sake of argument, if you were on overwatch while friends looted a city and you saw someone about to attack those friends then, of course, in this instance sniping would be an acceptable course of action. still cowardly but at least justifiable as the target is indeed a threat, if not to the sniper. However we both know that this scenario is less common when compared to the legions of server hopping snipe for lulz types that populate the game.

I do agree with you that there are many aholes that do that, I luckily have ran into only 1 that was doing that, and he was quickly disposed of by a hero player on that server, using an M107.

I dont agree that a sniper is cowardly. If using range to your advantage is cowardly then is hiding behind a wall or a tree cowardly as well? Is it cowardly to use shadows to stay hidden and strike when appropriate? What makes range different from any other tactic? Is it cowardly to use smoke grenades? Is it cowardly to use an m16 with an Acog to hit enemies from 100 meters away?

don't think I ever went looking for loot with an AS50 equipped lol. Normally I change into hero/civy clothes unless I am in group aswell.

I'd have to kill a guy in a ghille w/ an AS50, if I knew he was a hero i'd probably just break his legs and leave him.

before I took my dayz break i was the sort of a night walker hermit medic. with a gillie on 24/7. all patients rarely saw me blood bagging them or healing them since most missions happened at night and I always sneaked up on them, fixed up and hid away for the very reason that all bandits prefered to wear a ghillie as they're sniping cerno/electro/stary/NWAF so other's fear/hatred toards them is justified. I wore it to increase my survival chances as I looted military areas for silent stanag SD rounds. Why? because it's a lot easier to get rid of zombies without alerting the whole area that you exist.

as for the AS50. you dun goof'd walking with it to show.

I mean I carried a sniper on me at all times if a gun fight ever broke out, since you need precision over distance, but I kept it in my back pack.

at some point I managed to get my hands on an AS50 with the night vision thingie from a traders clan in exchange for bison ammo and sachel charges.

Edited by kryvian

Seeing as my policy when anywhere at or north of Stary is to KoS anyone who is a threat (having been burned too many times by giving peace a chance), and seeing as a sniper with an outfit that blends in might be a bit deadly...

i like to wear camo or ghillie clothing, your less visible to everyone else so survivingis abit easier, i never carry a sniper rifle though

m4 kinda gun though, it's sad to see other survivors/heroes shoot camo/ghillies on sight....

edit : ofcorse i'm a survivor, but being killed on sight everytime to bandits or survivors makes me wear them suits just to be less visible

i travel allot and i do like them hotspots its where all the good stuff and fun is anyway, whats the point staying in a bush

Edited by wez