Dayz Josh

Just Started Playing Dayz

First off, I must give credit to the developers of this amazing mod and applaud their time and effort to create this mod.

Now onto the real reason why i'm here.

Earlier today I decided to begin playing Dayz. I spawned in at night on the outskirts of Elektro, and managed to sneak in to the supermarket and acquire my first weapon, an M1911. From there I grabbed some cans of food and drink. Next, I managed to also find a Lee Enfield on the roof of the school or the office building, i'm not sure what it is. I recently left Elektro and decided to head toward Cherno, but now i'm not sure where to go next, so this brings about my question.

Should I risk my life by going into Cherno, or should I avoid it and loot some of the smaller towns around the area? I thought that maybe I could go in at night to reduce the risk of being spotted, but i'm not convinced on this idea. I have also been through and looted Prigorodky if it makes any difference.

Any advice would be helpful.

Edited by Dayz Josh
  • Like 1

Go around the northern edge of Cherno until you hit the apartment buildings, loot those and then move south east into the city, hit the firestations, hospital, supermarket and industrial buildings. Then move along the coast to the west.

Congrats, you've made it through Cherno alive! (maybe)

What you need is a bigger backpack, an axe, a knife, matches, a compass and a map. Also water bottles. The get out of the coastal cities as quick as possible.

The knife lets you gut animals, an axe lets you cut firewood and quietly takes down Z's, water bottles to get water from water sources. The map and compass will let you find your way around, without them you will get lost because the map is a big place.

Just wait until you meet your first bandit or worse a hacker.....

Well if that's really all you found, I'd avise going for Cherno. At least go to the hopstial to stock up on medical supplies and hopefully find a map and bigger bag. Best of luck!

Try to get a Lee or a Winchester(2 mags preferably) and then head to a more wealthy city(hopefully finding a crashed heli) Get some Good loot at Balota or NE airfield. Then you can try to get a vehicle, DO NOT trust anyone.

What's your plan? Ya gotta have a plan. Your choice. If you want to survive as long as possible, first follow mat9813004's advice. You'll need plenty of cooked meat to stay alive without a friend to blood pack you. It takes a whole lot of patience to stay prone most the time while looting, and zeds will get your blood down.

Then you'll start panicking, and make mistakes that will kill you. You'll for sure spend a lot of time hiding under trees at first if you lone-wolf.

Another option is just wing it and learn that way. You'll get killed a lot, but might learn the ropes faster.

Might as well get used to "You Are Dead," because it's going to happen a lot.

So just have a plan, whatever it is. Then you can watch it come together or fall apart. Low player count on the servers you join could be part of your plan - or not. But a plan keeps you focused.

You can decide if your plan is fun. Hiding and perhaps surviving longer, or mixing with other players, and maybe dying a lot more.

If a plan doesn't work for you, try another plan. Your choice. Ya gotta have a plan.

In a reply to some of the above posts, I thought I might make a list of the gear that I have already found.

- Hunting Knife

- Hatchet

- Watch

- Several magazines for both of my weapons

- British Assault Backpack

- 2 Water Bottles, both filled with water

- 3 Cans of Soda

- 3 Cans of food

- 6 Bandages

And just to save more people from asking, I have also thought up a plan, because I don't want to wander around and become a bandit.

Here is my plan.

- Search Cherno for loot, mainly going into the hospital to stock up on medical supplies.

- Check the apartments for some general loot, if I think it's necessary.

- Search the fire station for a weapon to replace my Lee Enfield.

- Get out of Cherno by looping back around the unfinished building on the coast of Cherno, and going into the treeline for cover.

- Make my way to Balota to search for gear and eventually heading to Green Mountain and Zelenogorsk.

- From here I intend to search the barracks in Stary Sobor, but I may avoid it if I have already found a Heli Crash Site or some good weapons elsewhere.

- Set up a makeshift base in one of the small towns to store some of my gear, this would only happen if I manage to find a Camping Tent.

- Every now and then, go into either Cherno or Elektro for food and drinks, but I might be able to avoid this by eating cooked meat and water from a pump nearby to my tent.

If anyone could give me pointers on whether this is a good plan, I would appreciate their help.

Edited by Dayz Josh

In a reply to some of the above posts, I thought I might make a list of the gear that I have already found.

- Hunting Knife

- Hatchet

- Watch

- Several magazines for both of my weapons

- British Assault Backpack

- 2 Water Bottles, both filled with water

- 3 Cans of Soda

- 3 Cans of food

- 6 Bandages

Thats a good starting kit, especially the British Assault pack. If your a lone wolf matches, morphine (x2), and antibiotics (x1) should be your next priorities. Probably dont need 6 bandages as their easy to find, 4 is a good number so you can have some side arm ammo.

Balota is pretty high risk but if its a low pop server you might have some luck.

If your looking at long term survival, head to the NE of the map to set up camp. Usually low player population and Berezino with 2 supermarkets and 1 hospital is close. Also has good industrial loot so you can have a go at fixing up a vehicle for fast raids to Stary. Good luck!

Edited by Geneva

Way to have it planned out LOL :) Sounds like your pretty geared out, i would find a good spot and hide some of my stuff, and go out and find more :) And a car maybe :)

Well with that, all you'd really need to be set for the north is matches, a map and medical supplies. I personally wouldn't risk going to Cherno firehouse if you're already that well equipped, but it's your choice. Just consider what you have to lose and what the chances are you'll get there safely and find a weapon, vs. finding a weapon at Balota airstrip.

Don't go to Green Mountain, never go to Green Mountain if you value your life at all. It's just not worth it.

I'm not sure if you mean the military tents in Starry, but unless you're on a customized server, there's no barracks in Stary. It's still a great place to go for a good weapon, but the only barracks on normal maps are the 2 at Northwest Airfield.

You won't have to go back to the coast just for food/drink. There are a number of supermarkets outside of Cherno/Elektro, specifically a total of 8 (Zelenogorsk, Pustoska, Vybor, Stary Sobor, Polana, Berezino x2, Krasnostav) It's good to check these out if you're nearby even if you aren't low on food/drink because it's your best shot at finding a camping tent. Just a note on the tent, it takes 3 inventory slots to pick up, so plan accordingly.

Finally, if you ever need to stock up on medical supplies, don't forget Berezino. It's a bit city with low player traffic. A lot lower risk to get some meds and check two supermarkets as well as some military tents, provided you want to make the trip.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone and especially Herr Jon, otherwise I probably would have gone to Green Mountain, but after reading your post, I don't think it's worth it. Also, Berezino sounds like a good place to search, so I might go there after having a quick look at Balota.

And also Herr Jon, I was talking about the tents in Stary, just to clarify things.

• Like 1

Pretty good plan, especially the tent part if you can make that work. Balota often spawns an AK in the tower, but a Winchester is all that's needed for most work unless you turn murderer. Don't even think of pitching a tent in a town. It will get robbed and maybe flattened. Has to be under tree branches. There's a least one good YT vid showing how to do it.

I found my first tent last night after about 7-8 runs to a supermarket. It took only one slot when I picked it up, but maybe that's because of the server I'm using. Don't know. I want at least 2 hidden away, but that's just part of my plan. I've heard servers sometimes mess up your tent plans, but we'll see.

Then no matter how well a tent is hidden, there's always a chance somebody will stumble upon it. You could practically make an entire game on just tent hiding/finding alone. Some players play the finding game.

If you're playing on a server that doesn't mark your current location on the map, you can triangulate your position if it allows waypoint setting. Just check distances to map waypoints when out of map until you can set a waypoint on your head. And there you are.