Lord_Darkmoon

Question from Gaming magazine: Why is permadeath fascination

Having a big death penalty really makes everything much more exciting knowing if you die, you'll pay the price. It's why games like World of Warcraft didn't excite me but games like SWG (Pre CU) and EVE Online did. The problem I have with Dayz now is it's not giving me that excitement any more because death has just become an inconvenience like in WoW. Really in Dayz you don't have the ability to build up your character, so you feel no attachment, I'm become savvy on how to exploit the game so it's rather boring now. Where as like a SWG or an EVE, in SWG when Jedi first came out you had permadeath, you knew you could lose a lot when you died, in EVE you can possibly lose months worth of stuff... where as in Dayz you can get the gear back in 20 mins.

• Like 1

WHY U BREAK FORMAT PEOPLE? One sentence, he said one sentence! I could have written an essay about it but I refrained due to the request for ONE SENTENCE. Just sayin, carry on.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

permadeath is not only a way to value your life, but also gives the player the chanche to start fresh and attempt a new exciting journey in survival.

Presumably you're this chap:

http://www.pcgames.d...Bertits-681322/

The problem is that DayZ doesn't have consequential permadeath. Your character doesn't gain stats or improve over time, so when you die it's meaningless. The only things you lose are your physical location and your gear, but the former is a matter of running around for a short while and the latter involves either pitching a tent and hoarding some stuff, or running through one of the major cities, picking stuff up. As a consequence death is not a life-changing event in DayZ. Indeed, lots of players deliberate kill themselves so that they can spawn somewhere new.

Now, if the player character built up stats - if he ran faster, could carry more things, had a steadier aim, didn't get worn out so quickly etc - then death would be more meaningless. The more and harder it is to build up stats, the more irritating it is to lose them. But apart from the poorly-implemented hero / bandit feature, DayZ doesn't have that. If your character survives for 200+ days he's just the same as he was when he started, albeit with more gear.

If you're going to quote me, quote "In DayZ, death isn't a life-changing event". I used to write for computer magazines as well, and I know a snappy line when it hits me, and that was one of them.

Edited by AshleyP

Its like playing poker - you can call the BF3 blind and live for the flop, folding with 90% chips left but when a player goes dayz and your pair of queens scream "call" your pulse is about to skyrocket.

Floxer

It's game over, start from the begining again.

Personally I like the idea of a perma death feature in the mod. gives you more reason to try and stay alive and watch yor back and hone your skills fo rthis game

hallo, ist es eine Ehre, Sie in den Foren, permadeath, is highly successful only if you balance the game out, Dayz holds such a atmosphere that its always leaves you hungering for revenge and success, a game which is boring and unproductive will fail at permadeath...

WHY U BREAK FORMAT PEOPLE? One sentence, he said one sentence! I could have written an essay about it but I refrained due to the request for ONE SENTENCE. Just sayin, carry on.

He can pick a sentence, I'm not filtering myself.

The problem is that DayZ doesn't have consequential permadeath. Your character doesn't gain stats or improve over time, so when you die it's meaningless. The only things you lose are your physical location and your gear...

...and the time invested in your char...

Some may only care for the gear, but others, for the longevity of the character.

He can pick a sentence, I'm not filtering myself.

You remind me of a young James Dean, living on the edge, refusing to be oppressed by the MAN.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

The problem is that DayZ doesn't have consequential permadeath. Your character doesn't gain stats or improve over time, so when you die it's meaningless. The only things you lose are your physical location and your gear, but the former is a matter of running around for a short while and the latter involves either pitching a tent and hoarding some stuff, or running through one of the major cities, picking stuff up. As a consequence death is not a life-changing event in DayZ. Indeed, lots of players deliberate kill themselves so that they can spawn somewhere new.

Now, if the player character built up stats - if he ran faster, could carry more things, had a steadier aim, didn't get worn out so quickly etc - then death would be more meaningless. The more and harder it is to build up stats, the more irritating it is to lose them. But apart from the poorly-implemented hero / bandit feature, DayZ doesn't have that. If your character survives for 200+ days he's just the same as he was when he started, albeit with more gear.

If you're going to quote me, quote "In DayZ, death isn't a life-changing event". I used to write for computer magazines as well, and I know a snappy line when it hits me, and that was one of them.

Actually , i sort of believe you are missing the point. And that is certainly not a snappy line :)

It makes the player think twice before he/she does anything. Imagine you put 2+ days into the charakter you play. You see a car uphead and some corpses around it. In a game without perma death you simply walk ahead and try to get into said car.

But with perma death you actually think about to ignore it and move on, always thinking you could be spotted and everything you have is gone. This creates an immersion no other game can and also interestin szenarios.

-Crassplaya

It gives you the feeling that if you die you have to reset and start over. Every thing you do could result in potential death so therefor you have to be careful and play it safe and think out your actions as each and every one could spell out the end for your character leaving you with nothing. Also adrenaline is enhanced about 50x more when you succeed or even fail in that matter fearing for the loss of your hard earned progression.