Sign in to follow this  
indalcecio

I have Dayz Shell Shock - anyone else, or am I just a wuss?

Tiny bit of background: I estimate I'm in the 30th percentile of DayZ players: I'm not that great, but I've got enough experience that I've gotten a chance to play with just about everything the game has to offer, and if I run into someone, it's clear we aren't going to be friends, and neither of us gets the drop on the other, I win just a little bit over 50% of the time. (In fact, half the time I win 100% of the time!)

Anyways, I haven't played in a while due to life getting in the way, but since I've started playing again, after I get geared up decently and live for a while, then get killed....on the next life, I get so nervous and paranoid that I ALMOST can't bring myself to step into anywhere but the remote wilderness. Normally this is WHY I play DayZ, but sometimes it's just TOO intense, and I get unpleasantly anxious. Basically I step away and take a break for a while or just put it up for the night, or if it's the weekend maybe have a couple drinks.

I'm not complaining about anything (except maybe my occasional lack of a backbone), I'm just curious: does anyone else get like this sometimes? It's amazing that a video game can make my heart beat this fast. Sometimes I think I'd be less nervous about dying in a real zombie apocalypse: at least then I wouldn't have to jog halfway across the island afterwards lol.

Edited by BenitoProfane
  • Like 1

rule #1. don't get too attached to your gear

• Like 3

I solved that by having two play-styles; the I don't give a fuck play-style where I have random throwaway gear equipped so I can run across open fields, loot cycle and do dumb shit without regrets, and the good stuff is used for PvP where 90% of the time it's brought back home to safety after.

Although I don't get that feeling a whole lot anymore since I started playing Origins given how retardedly common gear is and the fact that I have storage boxes filled with everything spread across the entire map, but sadly it's the only mod that doesn't suffer from severe hacking problems. However, after around 200ish kills the only item of value I have lost is a VSS and that was stolen from my house.

I guess in the end it just comes down to accepting that gear isn't permanent and there is only so much you can do to protect it, try to enjoy it while you have it and even if you die, it really doesn't take that long to find some quality gear again.

It really doesn't have anything to do with losing my gear. It's the anticipation. My favorite part of the game is starting over and scrounging up enough to survive and gradually getting better and more stuff. It's just the anxiety behind that instant disappointment of being killed before you have a chance to fight back.

I did get attached to my very first character and after a while (+100 days and being fully geared etc.) I felt very reluctant to take any risks.

Luckely I 'cured' myself by accidentally blowing myself up with my own handgrenade (damn that Arma2 interface). After that, I didn't give a f*ck and now I'm having so much more fun while playing.

tl:dr: just go for it, take risks. You'll have more fun.

• Like 1

I remember the fear of playing, kinda died when I figured out what and how to do it. Bring any updates that re-freshen the gameplay.

I loved feeling alive in a game for a change, Almost natural. I hope the SA delivers the same feeling.

I agree that my favourite part is when you just spawn in and have more or less nothing. Trying to scavenge and survive is why I played DayZ. I'm more or less waiting for the SA now, and play Wasteland for my Arma II fix as I dislike the way most people play DayZ. Well, they play it like Wasteland just a bit more cautious as you can't find weapon caches or stumble upon vehicles everywhere haha. When I used to play I would be very timid and nervous and unless in a group I wouldn't normally approach a player I spotted. Just kept to myself and tried to get by. i know a lot of people would consider that boring, but hey it's how I roll.

Sometimes I hide prone under a tree

• Like 1

I'm the opposite. I'm addicted to the adrenaline hit, i seek it out. I listen for the burst of an Mk48 and run towards it armed with a hatchet and my wits (and all the gear/tools) but I'm in a shitty spot for gaming now...

DayZ mod is pretty stale right now but i keep chasing the adrenaline hit and old memories...BUT the worst part is every other game is a boring meat grinder in comparision.

I'm having a little luck with Red Orchestra/Rising Sun the anti CoD of fps...any other takers?...BF3? Bitch please, BF jumped the shark long ago, Meto sucks with its AI, STALKER is dead unless i patch/mod the original but thats been done to death, ...I'm just left wanting because no other shooter/fps comes close to the impact of DayZ Mod but the mod is so damn boring now...the only thrill i'm having is avoiding guns and trying to sam fisher geared players with melee in FPV...

I need this patch or SA...so i wait...

Edited by Trizzo

I'm the opposite. I'm addicted to the adrenaline hit, i seek it out. I listen for the burst of an Mk48 and run towards it armed with a hatchet and my wits (and all the gear/tools) but I'm in a shitty spot for gaming now...

DayZ mod is pretty stale right now but i keep chasing the adrenaline hit and old memories...BUT the worst part is every other game is a boring meat grinder in comparision.

I'm having a little luck with Red Orchestra/Rising Sun the anti CoD of fps...any other takers?...BF3? Bitch please, BF jumped the shark long ago, Meto sucks with its AI, STALKER is dead unless i patch/mod the original but thats been done to death, ...I'm just left wanting because no other shooter/fps comes close to the impact of DayZ Mod but the MoD is so damn boring now...the only thrill i'm having is avoiding guns and trying to sam fischer geared players with melee in FPV...

I need this patch or SA...so i wait...

Your in the same boat as me. Gaming has become very stale for me so far this year, BF3 has become old, I hate the CoD series, Metro is good for looking at but the AI.. Yeah, I just bought Rising Sun, it looks good and I love WWII games so I hope its worth it.

I'm finished with the DayZ mod. I have high end gear on my main server but it hit rock bottom in terms of fun the other day. Even though I was looking for a fight, looking for someone to shoot at me.. I had no luck. People just hoard gear and sit in their camps, or in treelines above towns. No one goes looting or looking for vehicles or helicopters. My theory with DayZ though is to be aggresive. Especially in a fight, people don't like you getting all up in their face.. Mainly because everyone is a sniper. But I have way more fun strolling through the open at NWAF, rather than taking 1 hour to check everywhere only to find crappy loot. Just go for it!

Rising Sun is amazing! If you like hardcore, complex, punishing, FPS :thumbsup:... Banzzzzziiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!! Getting a coordinated on a 32 player team to assemble, drop arty with commander, squad leaders throw smokes and run with katannas into 30cals and garands...then counter arty gets drop...man its hectic, all i can say is talk. People seem to be shy in the game. Teams that talk win.

I think everyone felt this way with their first DayZ character. I know I did.

I'd only go to small towns like Pustoshka for supermarket goodies. The rest of the time was spent running/driving through thick forests tent-hunting.

I finally racked up enough nerve to hit the NWAF, then I started to loosen up. Next day went down to the coast (Berezino, Cherno) which was a huge step for me. Now I just go anywhere I want.

Always tell yourself that the gear will not last forever, and you should enjoy it while you can instead of hiding in the forest. :P

Explore the map, that should really help.

• Like 1

It's not just you OP.

I wouldn't say I ever have to walk away from the game, and I don't give a rats ass about losing my gear, but when I'm in a tight spot and someone is trying to take me out, sometimes the adrenaline get's me so much I can feel the pulse in my neck... and that is why I continue to play. No other game has ever got me so worked up.

I've been playing daily for about 5 months now. and I still get a buzz from a decent fire fight.

Edited by AntiHero

Hopefully I'll have it downloaded for the weekend.. Screw internet speeds in the UK. <_<

I'll PM you some time Trizzo if I manage to do so.

Back on topic......... :rolleyes:

I solved that by having two play-styles; the I don't give a fuck play-style where I have random throwaway gear equipped so I can run across open fields, loot cycle and do dumb shit without regrets, and the good stuff is used for PvP where 90% of the time it's brought back home to safety after.

wait.. people don't run across open fields when they have good gear?

I think I'm doing the DayZ wrong, I do that every day.

ive always been a bit anxious when it comes to dayz...from my first time getting a lee enfield and being so excited i had to log out till now. dying always sucks but gearing up is half the fun of this game

When I was first playing DayZ, back in the days when about 50% of players you ran into were friendly and looking to group up, I'd die once every few days which wasn't too bad considering I played so much. But I absolutely hated the thought of walking into a town and having some one sneak up on you and kill you. One second you've got a 3 hour old character with decent gear, and a split second later, you're dead. It didn't help that all the servers were lined up with NZ time, so whenever I got a chance to play DayZ, it was dusk or night time in game, which made everything 10x more intense for a new player

If I ever died, I was scared to go into elektro or cherno, because of that feeling. At one point, I literally stopped playing for a week because I hated it that much, but I eventually got over it, and I haven't been scared while playing it in about a year.

I'd trade all my knowledge about DayZ just to go back to those days where the game was fresh and scary. I've never in my life played a game even remotely close to the feeling that DayZ gave off, just writing this now I have a smile on my face remembering how immersive and exciting it was. It's so unique, it's a shame that it wears off so quickly.

Edited by AussieStig

wait.. people don't run across open fields when they have good gear?

I think I'm doing the DayZ wrong, I do that every day.

When I said good gear, I meant things that I use for certain situations only, rangefinders, VSS and so on. When it takes you 4-5 hours of loot-cycling to get one, you think twice about risking it.

it takes all of 20 minutes to get gear

people are so bad at arma that, that gear should last hours.

• Like 1

From my experiences, PvP frequency is not too bad up North. I can understand your concern about losing your gear, btu what fun is this game without taking a risk. I travel all along the North every day just so I can keep myself busy, and as long as I'm vigilant and not being a total noob, I don't usually run into people. Since I don't make camps, I have to rely off of looted food and wild animals. As easy as it may sound to hunt, animals aren't always around so I do travel out sometimes. I also enjoy hunting for cars at their respective spawns, and I do delight in the occasional NWA trip. What I'm trying to say is, taking risks makes this game fun and as much as I hate dying, PvP is a helluva a lot fun.

it takes all of 20 minutes to get gear

people are so bad at arma that, that gear should last hours.

Hardly? If a few cans a of beans and an Enfield class as 'geared up' then good luck to you sir. To find an M4A1 CCO and DMR, Ghille Suit, Rangefinders, NVG's, Coyote, etc.. We're talking days here. And when you weigh looting for days against dieing in a split second, you can understand the risk/reward the comes with DayZ.