Sign in to follow this  
GBTP

Quick Q about "custom" servers

Back to the mod and forums after a while away and am seeing a lot of hosted servers that seems to have unique rules and features I don't remember from the last time I played.

One neat feature, that has been somewhat annoying sadly, is servers that seem to have unique spawning rules (Starting with random weapons, or some supplies, etc) that override my "true" character.

Is there a way to tell if these server rules will apply so that I don't keep joining servers with brand new characters and worry that I died somehow, play for a few hours starting over, then join a different server later and am back to my character with all of my gear and 'progress'?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Only play on official servers (they'll have names like US1, Chicago2, et cetera. Google *your location* DayZ official server). They have more players, and they're the vanilla game.

For me, it would be "East coast Dayz official hive"

It might take you awhile because the first 500 google search pages will be private hive advertisements.

It's just that sometimes I'll join a game and it will be my character, mid map, my gear and weapons; and then other times I'll join and be back on the beach with nothing. another server back to my guy, another and I'm fresh on the beach again. Seems like different servers have different rules/characters; so what I'm looking for are vanilla official servers?

Yeah, you are joining private hives, they dont use the same database as the original public hive that your old character is on, so you will start fresh with different or no gear and your progress will only count for that server.

The keys words you want are official or public, as applejaxc says its worth doing a bit of research to find a well run one as hackers can still be a problem on the official hive.

Edited by Fluxley

It's just that sometimes I'll join a game and it will be my character, mid map, my gear and weapons; and then other times I'll join and be back on the beach with nothing. another server back to my guy, another and I'm fresh on the beach again. Seems like different servers have different rules/characters; so what I'm looking for are vanilla official servers?

What they said about private hives.

One way to tell is to look at the server name in DayZ Commander. If there is a little cloud with an X in it to the extreme left side of the server name, then it is a server that is not connected to the main hive. Therefore, it keeps its own track of your progress. I have a few private hives I play on, just as a change of pace, but remember that the less popular ones can disappear tomorrow.

For some reason, not all private hives have the little X-Cloud thingy. Can't explain it. Just quit it and try another one.