mattlightfoot

E3 and our attendance

This place is moan central now. Hopefully everyone disappointed in Standalone can piss off back to COD and take their deathmatch attitude with them. :D

The one thing I’d ask for as it’s a mess is on here!!!

Just a simple thread with latest news and thoughts and highlights as it’s a mess to find what’s going on. Blogs that look like last month updated. So you come on and have to go

Just give the job to a few volunteer Mod’s to update a page with links and pictures and refresh it when new stuff comes along and keep it locked so you don’t have to read through 20 pages of pap ( yes everyone’s thoughts are very interesting and I respect the members voice on here).

Edited by sav112
  • Like 1

Can't wait for the standalone. Looks awesome going back to basics and focusing on survival.

The mod is going downhill with every patch.

shut up and take my money already ! If it helps improving the game developpment faster, they could also release it now, it's already better than the mod we're playing on currently...

I've been in two high profile alphas in the past year (one game got sort of canceled, the other is closing in on a service release, using the same model here, like minecraft)

The Dayz approach has been pretty interesting, although I'm not in the alpha here, I am surprised at how open the dev team is to showing raw footage. The community here should be reminded of what that means, you're not getting "tweaked" PR snapshot videos of set peice builds all polished up. The guys have been, at least to date, pretty honest about the process. It's raw, it will take a while and their focus is on environment interaction immersion and new functionality (all built totally from the ground up in the new client/server MMO architecture) - not graphics or physics realism. Not sure why some of you get hung up on that.

The team also seems to say that in enough time with enough dev progression they will improve those areas (better animations, etc...) but right now, espeically at their first public release those areas won't be a high priority.

Think of their progress to date and it's kind of amazing

gone from a mostly non supported arma 2 mod to a brand new engine (yes they have said it is basically a brand new engine, and it had to be since arma never supported the MMO style archicteture)

redeveloped the entire 225 km world

made 90% of the building enterable

re coded the zombies (including animations)

added new major functionality (crafting, stances, weapon facing rules, shoot while moving)

brand new parts, like volumetric clouds

overhual of the inventory system

supporting 150 players per instance

Those are just a few examples of probably hundreds

all with ongoing QA with evolving builds, stress tests, private alpha testing, marketing and PR

you have to step back and thing how much has been accomplished and how open the team has been, it's quite an achievement thus far.

• Like 5

start a kickstarter selling the game for £20 The money would roll in. We as fans get a cheaper game to that of the finished SA and we get to enjoy the fact we helped. Give us a patch or Badge to put on our characters to show we backed the development.

Try a Target of say two Million and watch us back the game plus its fun.

Higher backers could get to try new things a week before they go mainstream on private servers for testing etc. Its limitless what you could do. Elite raised 1.6 million pounds in weeks to get it off the ground.

Edited by sav112

Am i the only one that thinks the zombies are shit in this game? And im not talking about bugs or clitches or anything like that. Im talking about the zombie behavior. It seems stupid that when they catch you they just hit you (or jump attacks you). wtf? Where is the grabbing and biting zombies that we see in movies? I dont remember seeing in any movie or tv-shot that zombies stand next to you and punches like a little girl. Devs should look in to "No More Room In Hell". Thats how zombies should ATTACK you. In DayZ the crawling zeds could grab your ankle and you would fall down. Or if you run past zombies they would try grab on to you and at least it would slow you down. I would like to hear how Dean and Matt sees the zombies and what kind of zombies they want to make for this game. Is there a reason why zombies just run and hit you? Is it performance issue? Engine issue? Coding maybe? And what do the community think about this?

Edited by aeinola
  • Like 1

I dont remember seeing in any movie or tv-shot that zombies stand next to you and punches like a little girl.

There's this other zombie game by Valve you'd probably absolutely detest by this measure.

There's this other zombie game by Valve you'd probably absolutely detest by this measure.

???

I think the dev team is thinking about having zombies knock you off balance or over and stuff like that as opposed to just running up and punching you. Didn't we hear that in a blog post or video once? I agree adding some balance physics to running around zombie mobs would be pretty cool. Then again remember the stated goal (for the first open release) is for environment interaction immersion, and not so much physics or even graphics. Once the service release hits and the game opens up and revenue builds and the team gets more time I believe they have stated they have all kinds of plans to improve the game, so I suppose the options are wait another two years and have the team build in all the features we want and improve upon the ones that need some work, or get the game soon and know they are committed to an iterative, continuous improvement approach.

Edited by oompah

Here's a video that our clan leader filmed from E3, nothing too special but it's something to watch of the Standalone. He's a server provider as well so he gets to go every year to E3 and chill with Rocket and EA/DICE employees.

(so if you need a quality cheap server for say DayZ or BF3, etc, hit me up and I'll forward it to him).

Edited by Trunkz Jr

about purifying water with tablets...

i wonder if drinking this water is dangerous in the long term? :huh:

edit: in real life

Edited by siew

Drinking non-purified water, especially in the context of a ZA where there are no government services to provide clean water, would increase the chance of illnesses IRL and infections in game.

Drinking non-purified water, especially in the context of a ZA where there are no government services to provide clean water, would increase the chance of illnesses IRL and infections in game.

i think you misunderstood

i mean drinking the purifyed water with all the leftovers from the tablets

Well, his question was about the real world effects of long term use of water purification tablets.

• Like 1

thx so much :beans:

heard of it, but i never used it

but i dont trust those tablets <_< i´ll keep to boiling my water :P

Lol, only on this forum would we find links to water purification tablets to make a point. Perfect.

Did you know that there is some discussion whether glass is a liquid or not?

• Like 2

Did you know that there is some discussion whether glass is a liquid or not?

A very dumb discussion finding root in some serious misconceptions. It's an "amorphous solid," meaning solid without crystal properties. This is the same category as gels and such. There's not much room for a proper debate past that.

That said, pretty sure real life purification tablets have an obscene shelf life. There's not a whole lot in them that can go bad. The simplest ones I imagine are just solid iodine, which going by half life alone should last you a little over 30 million years :P

The game is looking good and i understand its a dev build with most of the changes gone into the server architecture and new intventory / crafting systems and the way the loot spawns. The only problem which i hope is their next main focus is the zombie movement, it still seems very similar to the mod, stopping and starting very quickly and running is still jerky, if they could get them to flow alot better, and seem more zombie like, then it would be awesome, they have some nice new animations, i just think they need to slow them down abit.

• Like 4

If they nailed the Zombies the game could go to a whole new level!

With the Film World War Z its the right time!

Edited by sav112

Invisible clothing > Camoclothing

I'm realy exited about the new clothes.

Can't wait for the moment, where u have to choose between "style" and "use".

Like: "I know, those grey pants have more slots to fit my loot, but I like how the green of my current trousers fit with my jacket.

Invisible clothing > Camoclothing

I'm realy exited about the new clothes.

Can't wait for the moment, where u have to choose between "style" and "use".

Like: "I know, those grey pants have more slots to fit my loot, but I like how the green of my current trousers fit with my jacket.

I'm excited to be able to distinguish a person I just saw from a person I saw 10 minutes ago. Lol.