I played my first hour in dayz last night. I have experienced 3 "I have never" events in this mod.

I have never bought a game solely for a mod:

I'm not a fan of Fps games, I never played any of the Arma games. I have a few friends who play this, however, and their stories intrigued me greatly. So I bought Arma 2 and it's expansions on steam, which is quite good value in itself.

I have never spent 20 minutes cowering in a corner of a room, terrified out of my wits, because I can hear a zombie but not locate it before. This is an amazing thing, I was not bored I did not even feel cheated of the time 'wasted' cacking myself.

I have never felt this tense in any game I have played, not even in nul in Eve online. It's a strange feeling, and utterly compelling. Running from zed's, escaping and running into yet more zed's had me on the edge of my seat, in a very panicky frame of mind. I have thought of little else all day today.

This mod/game has gripped me more thoroughly than anything has in the past, it's intense, it's scary and it's great. The bugs I can overlook, the flaws I can overlook because this gives me something I have never experienced in a game before, and that's a sense of purpose.

I'm looking forward to tonight so I can see how long I survive this time.

• Like 5

Your first time reminded me of my first time (huehuehuehue).

It was scary back then.

I'm looking forward to tonight so I can see how long I survive this time.

Good luck :P Pretty much everybody on this forum are diehard fans, most of the population left these forums when the SA kept getting delayed. All the events you have described is why we love the game :D

Edited by TheBambiAvenger
  • Like 1

Nice, glad you're having a good experience. Hold onto that fear as long as you can. It's one of the best experiences you can get out of dayz, but it doesn't last forever.

• Like 1

Welcome to the best game you will ever play! Glad you enjoying the game but as HerrJon says, the fear doesnt last ... or certainly not the environmental fear. Soon you get to feel the fear of the real threat - other players.

If you ever want to tag along witha bunch of friendlies who dont mind showing you the ropes PM me and you are welcome to come visit our server and use our Mumble.

• Like 1

lol cool I can,t wait to get my new laptop so I can play this game more,I played it once wear I found a bike road around hit a pile of rubble and my bike broke. :lol:

Welcome! So glad to see another new user jumping into the action... Or jumping into the 3 hours of prone crawling through the forest to not get spotted by other users because you're low on blood, your vision is black and whit and pulsing in and out of blurry, out of food and only have half a clip left, where your only hope is to make it to that farm you spotted on the poster-sized map you printed out at the FedEx store and are praying you're where you think you are on the map....Nothing like it.

• Like 1

This is how DayZ affects players, it shows them a new kind of fear about playing it. It's something undescriptable in terms of words, just have fun and try to make your best to survive.

Edited by Guisho

RIGHT ON! I don't get the rapid heart beat I used to when I started six or seven weeks ago, but I still get a start when a zed appears where I didn't expect one!

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your replies :) tonight I pit a good shift in, 6 hours totally first 3 new games of the evening were disastrous! I bled to death because I couldn't work out bandages at first.

Then I got my legs broken and crawled for what seemed like hours before getting done by zed's, bled to death again, and I think I lashed out at another player with my hatchet when he was running to help me. I buried it on his skull before succumbing to the endless dark.

About 15 minutes after my 3rd spawn a friendly gentleman returned the favour as I was looting some red chem lights, brutal, but tbh I should have checked my area s little more.

My 4th spawn paid for all: I came across a small town where another player stalked me, I looted several goodies whilst avoiding zed's and ducking this guy. I made noise to attract the zed's and he was eventually invited to a dinner party with the zed's, I heard much nomnom-noming. I came across 4 player corpses and hit the bonanza! lots of goodies, and i met a fine gentleman who aimed a gun at me and asked if I was friendly. We went off for a run together and he showed me his base. I logged after just over 3 hours survival on this spawn and hope to play a bit with this dude tomorrow :)

fantastic game this :)

• Like 1

I played amnesia before i began DayZ and might i say Amnesia is absolute pant shitting scary. DayZ has a more realistic feel to it and I actually felt like i was there in the thick of it. I only started playing 3 days ago but i have never had so much fun

Good times, Splaticus.

If you should reach the day when you are getting a little comfy with DayZ, you got plenty of gear, the zombies are easy to avoid and kill silently, and other players' shenanigans are boring you, remember this word:

NAMALSK

• Like 1

I didn't get scared from amnesia. Seemed to annoy me more than anything. FEAR scared the heck out of me. Couldn't sleep without tripping on Alma dreams or waking up thinking my computer chair was her lol

• Like 1