Sign in to follow this  
stimpen

Prone all day long... when to crouch nowdays?

As soon Im in a zombie area it seems like the only option is to prone and crawl the whole time nowdays. As soon as I crouch it seems I get a zombie on me even if I think they are quite far away.

And the zombies seem to see you while crouching in buildings, almost always get aggro when moving around crouched (and sneaking) in buildings where prone is not so convienient and dangerous if you crawl over the wrong objects that might hurt you. Was not LOS added so they wouldnt see you through walls and stuff?

I dont think proning around adds much more skill to the game. Its just boring because it takes so much time. Crouching should be more usefull.

I agree. I just posted a similar topic. It's not really harder, it's just more tedius and boring. You can't crouch walk or crouch job in a town. Takes forever to loot a town. Damn, I love the game, but I feel like playing less and less.

I agree, I dislike how the zombies see me from 70 yards when I am crouched and even around walls and buildings.

However I do like the ability to lose them.

same here just IMPOSSIBLE to sneak the zeds just crouch on the ground works ....and thats take soooooooo long and is soo dangerous becousebandits can see u.......and when u aggro them 2 u need 4 secs to stand up and run ....... i loved the game becouse the NICE sneaking system like MGS and such but now its just boring or its to hard (Ground crouch/knee crouch) ...so PLSSS bring back the old sytsem ......

I agree, it is not hard, just boring. I liked the old way better, be careful, but you don't have to crawl across the entire map. The new settings have honestly made me play less carefully, as I know that the zombies will see me regardless of my actions. Now I jsut run from point a to b and kill the zombies off out of town later on.

Yeah the patch before 1.7.1.1 was fun. Now the zombies basically see you from any position other than prone like 100ft away. Even if you are prone I've had zombies run at me from about 20ft while in tall grass (if that helps).

Never. That's when you should crouch now. You make too much noise, you'll pull half the town from slowly walking while crouched.

And if you go up stairs, god help you with the amount of noise you make doing that.

I did enjoy sneaking around towns in 1.6. Felt more intense and you sort of had to plan your way through. It was engaging, you had to scan everywhere for zombies and what way they were walking and plan a route through them whilst also on the look out for other players, who were far more deadlier than the zombies (like it should be, like it is in every zombie film).

Attracting zombies from incredibly far away, their stupid running animations and path finding just take me out of the game, force me to waste ammo and reveal my location and it just ends up being an aggro spiral where fighting off the zeds who saw you causes more from even further away to run at you in awkward ways. There is no way a zombie 2 blocks down and around a corner would know exactly where a gunshot came from, it should just attract them like it does when you throw a can or bottle.

I know its an alpha, but the fact is if people aren't enjoying it, they'll resent the mod and never come back. You can shout "ALPHA ALPHA" all day, players dont give a shit, they just want it to be fun and 1.6 was fun and stable (somewhat).

I completely and absolutely second the post before me. The game is annoying and tedious now. I just disconnect and reconnect to despawn the zombies. It's not fun, I play less :(

I think this will be tweaked as time goes on. They're still ironing out the visibility and sound.

7.1.1 turned the game into a boring crawling simulator. 7.1.4 made it so you can't even crawl anymore without detection. I agree the game is extremely tedious post 1.7

Never. That's when you should crouch now. You make too much noise' date=' you'll pull half the town from slowly walking while crouched.

And if you go up stairs, god help you with the amount of noise you make doing that.

[/quote']

You can't enter any of the building while prone though. You have to crouch and then you agro everything if you somehow haven't already. If they want to make this game a crawling simulator, then they should call it that.

They need to fix all of those problems and keep zombies like they were at least in 1.7.

Agreed. The zombies in 1.7 were perfect.

I've found that playing at night on a server with the stars and moon out (or with NVG) is alright, but the main problem then, is the zombies that amass inside the buildings.

You have to move from prone to crouch/stand to get inside, and as soon as you do, you either agro zombies outside, or are forced to kill the ones chilling inside, which then attracts all the others anyway.

Deer stands, barns and single residental houses are managable due to the small number of zombies and/or the room to move in and around them. But I wouldn't like to try to get into a town or airbase, at least not with a few other people.

When I'm planning to loot somewhere, I have to evaluate whether or not I'm going to get enough ammo back to maintain my supply. If not, I tend not to bother. If you don't, you will eventually run out of ammo, and things will get pretty difficult from there.

I think this will be tweaked as time goes on. They're still ironing out the visibility and sound.

The zeds in 1.7 were pretty close to perfect. All that had to be done was to increase their ability to detect close range proners, which I don't think would have been too difficult. Right now it's pretty insane what is happening. The sound is also off, Zeds pinpoint you exactly when that shouldn't be the case.

The reason it isn't hard is because we're all crawling and the Z's pretty much have to walk over you to see you. Now that they have been changed, the only thing accomplished here is to make everyone crawl, making the game easier but tediously slower.

By changing the z's Rocket has inadvertently made us have to adopt the crawling which means there's no real chance of the z's seeing you (unless by bugs in the code).

The zeds in 1.7 were pretty close to perfect. All that had to be done was to increase their ability to detect close range proners' date=' which I don't think would have been too difficult. Right now it's pretty insane what is happening. The sound is also off, Zeds pinpoint you exactly when that shouldn't be the case.

[/quote']

It was pretty decent in 1.7. I'm not entirely sure why the visibility was increased so much since. After he locked their visibility to their body direction (opposed to from their eyes) it was working well. Again, think he's playing around to see what works.

The zeds in 1.7 were pretty close to perfect. All that had to be done was to increase their ability to detect close range proners' date=' which I don't think would have been too difficult. Right now it's pretty insane what is happening. The sound is also off, Zeds pinpoint you exactly when that shouldn't be the case.

[/quote']

It was pretty decent in 1.7. I'm not entirely sure why the visibility was increased so much since. After he locked their visibility to their body direction (opposed to from their eyes) it was working well. Again, think he's playing around to see what works.

In regards to the sound, they should be very sensitive to gunfire. Even a Makarov going off in the middle of town should be a death sentence or very well close to it. Would make gunfights in the city occur alot less often, and less deaths would occur along the coastal towns due to nerds like me who camp around down there because no one can stop us.

However, they shouldn't be so sensitive to sound that they can pinpoint you from three stories down when you're moving around in a building.

Wow, I just started to play the game yesterday and thought it was awesome. I thought it made sense that prone was the best way to sneak. In real life, crouching doesn't hide much.

I thought for sure that the community would consist of a lot of hardcore players who love the survival aspect of it.

I joined the forum and, low and behold, it's 90% whiny posters, with an unwarranted sense of entitlement, who want convenience more than anything.

"I want guns on respawn!" boo hoo

"Zombies can see me when I crouch!" boo hoo

"It's too dark! I'm scared!" boo hoo

I agree, it's ridiculous right now. I mean, crouch walking is basically like normal running used to be, while crouch RUNNING is pretty much instant detection from any corner of any town.

And I pity anyone who decides to run. It's like donning a neon green jacket covered in strobes lights and sirens and then moonwalking. You also brought a megaphone and are singing "I'm Sexy and I Know It" directly into it.

Edit: Syndikos, getting spotted while crouching is fine. It happened a lot in previous updates. But now, it is out of control. It was almost spot-on previously - crouch walking was safe as long as you were a good dozen meters or so from a zombie who wasn't looking at you and you had a good bit of grass. It was a nice balance, and did not end up too forgiving or too hard. IF you made a mistake, you were caught, but if you didn't, you SHOULD be fine. Now, if you aren't constantly glued to the ground you're guaranteed to be screwed, and even then the prone is very nerfed and it's by no means impossible to be spotted like that as well. Any hope of stealth is pretty much non-existent.

I think it's better. But then I never proned around towns or cities, because you are a free kill if a player sees you.

There are multiple ways of getting past zombies. You can sneak.... you can run through them and LOS them.... you can throw flares/smoke.... you can fire your gun and move - firing a gun aggros them to your position, if they get to that position and they can't see you they will not follow you (but if they hear your footsteps as you move position they will investigate).

Each method has pros and cons. It's harder than before, it's not one dimensional now... and lets face it, it was before.

I think Syndikos has a point, perhaps we were spoilt by how easy the game was. Getting gear and surviving was easy. The only worry was other players back then, the zombies were simply background noise in a game of death match. They were a minor nuisance but little more.

However, the tedious thing about the game now is all the crawling involved and you can't crouch walk around houses without zombies outside noticing. The zombies do need to be toned down a bit, but not back to the level they were at. Its just a balancing act really.

Have you ever actually been hunting?

You don't stalk your prey or close on it by crawling around on your stomach to minimise sound and sight.

You're carefully crouch walking, checking the placement of each step, brushing aside any twigs or dry leaves before you put your foot down. Using cat steps and placing your foot down carefully from heel to toe while maintaining even weight distribution.

In fact crawling is much worse as you're dragging your whole body along the ground, snagging twigs, rustling leaves. It has it's place in making effective use of small cover, but you sure as hell wouldn't be crawling through a town and maximizing your exposure time when you could move more quietly and quickly crouched.

I think Syndikos has a point' date=' perhaps we were spoilt by how easy the game was. Getting gear and surviving was easy. The only worry was other players back then, the zombies were simply background noise in a game of death match. They were a minor nuisance but little more.

However, the tedious thing about the game now is all the crawling involved and you can't crouch walk around houses without zombies outside noticing. The zombies do need to be toned down a bit, but not back to the level they were at. Its just a balancing act really.

[/quote']

1.7 was pretty interesting as it was a balance of how fast you could move versus getting spotted by a player. You occasionally would cut corners to get to cover faster or get inside a building because you would be scared of getting killed by a player that is sniping/camping, but if you made a mistake you would get swarmed by Zeds that you could not deaggro, were forced to kill them (as long as you weren't an alt-f4er).

Although maybe this wasn't what Rocket envisioned how the game would turn it, it was pretty interesting, and the dynamics of stealth/zombie/speed/players/etc. worked out well with one another. Most people certainly enjoyed it. The current Zombie mechanics are abit over the top, it's pretty obvious that Rocket wanted to the Zombies to be more than a walking mine, but he's turned them pretty close to laser eye grenade shitting Zombies.

Have you ever actually been hunting?

You don't stalk your prey or close on it by crawling around on your stomach to minimise sound and sight.

You're carefully crouch walking' date=' checking the placement of each step, brushing aside any twigs or dry leaves before you put your foot down. Using cat steps and placing your foot down carefully from heel to toe while maintaining even weight distribution.

In fact crawling is much worse as you're dragging your whole body along the ground, snagging twigs, rustling leaves. It has it's place in making effective use of small cover, but you sure as hell wouldn't be crawling through a town and maximizing your exposure time when you could move more quietly and quickly crouched.

[/quote']

Yep, proning is only useful if you're trying to minimize yourself visually. It makes no sense to "prone" in the middle of a fucking town while crawling around. You're actually more likely to get spotted and make more noise than anything.

Reloading just said exactly what I was going to say. Crawling around 95% of the time like a snake is about as realistic as Unreal Tournament.