carbine781 (DayZ)

*GUIDE* What You Need To Head North! (list / description of items)

Hello. In DayZ, hanging around on the coast is always fun, but the real fun memories come in the north. However, in order to go up north, you need the proper supplies not only to survive, but to even get up north. I've played DayZ for almost one year now. I've headed up north a lot, flown a helicopter, camped out with friends late at night, etc. Here is what i have learned over my year of experience, and hopefully this will teach you a lot.

You may be wondering however, why go up north? First, the north is home to many places, such as Stary Sobor, various castles, and 2 airfields. All of the best gear can be found up north. You can also find a lot more vehicles in the north. The north is also home to mysterious helicopter crash sights. To sum it up, the north has a lot of points of interests, better gear, and brings the best memories.

Ok, Heres my list

Do note, that you don't need to get the exact ammounts, and these may be slightly exaggerated for some people. Experiment. This strategy is used so you don't have to go to Stary Sobor, a high traffic city in the North.

1. A PRIMARY WEAPON

This is a given. In a world filled with zombies and bandits, you need to be able to protect yourself. Some good common weapons are the Lee Enfield and The Winchester 1866. A few common weapons that I do not recommend are: The X-Bow, Double barreled shotgun, crowbars, and hatchets (Keep hatchets as a tool, not as a primary weapon, but we'll get into that later). You can find weapons in residential areas. *QUICK TIP* Look in fire stations. They are the homes to low grade military weapons. Find the weapon that you like the best, and of course, don't forget ammunition.

2. A SECONDARY WEAPON (OPTIONAL)

You actually do not need a secondary weapon if you want to head up north. Secondary Weapons are mostly used for killing zombies. That being said, if you come across one, take it. You can find these in residential areas as well.

3. A BIGGER BACKPACK

You need a backpack to store items, from it being food to weapons you find at a crashed helicopter. You start out with a coyote patrol pack, but it only has 8 storage slots. I don't recommend a backpack with less than 16 slots. You can find backpacks in resedential areas. Here is a list of backpacks you can find:

Patrol Pack (coyote)-8

Czech Vest Pouch-12

Assault Pack (ACU)-12

Survival (ACU)-16

Alice Pack-16

British Assault Pack-18

Czech Backpack-24

Coyote Backpack (not to be confused with the Patrol Pack)-24

4. FOOD AND WATER

Simple, you need food and water to survive. I wouldn't recommend going north without 4 cans of food and 5 drinks. If you find water bottles, keep them, as you can refill them in lakes. Also, you can go with only 3 cans if you have the materials to be able to hunt and eat animals (Next section). You can find food and water in supermarkets and just any residential area. Store most of your food and water in your backpack, but keep some in your main inventory just incase you don't have time to pull them out of your backpack.

5. PROPER HUNTING MATERIALS (Optional, but highly recommended)

In order to hunt wildlife that you see, you will need: A weapon (to kill an animal), a hunting knife (so you can gut an animal), a Hatchet (to make firewood), and matches (to light your firewood on fire so you can cook your meat.). I do recommend eating steaks that you get from animals more than canned food, as you get 800 blood back per steak. You can hatchets in industrial / farm areas, and hunting knifes and matches in residential areas.

Here is a diagram of the amount of meat you get per animal:

Rabbit-1 meat-800 blood

Chicken-1 meat-800 blood

Goat-3 meat-2400 blood

Boar-4 meat-3200 blood

Sheep-5 meat-4000 blood

Cow-8 meat-6400 blood

6. MEDICAL SUPPLIES

There are currently 7 types of medical supplies: Bandages (stop bleeding), Morphine (fix broken legs), BloodBags (completely refill your blood aka your health), Painkillers (Stop pain / shakiness when you are injured), Epi-pens (revive knocked out survivors), Heat packs (Warm you up), and Antibiotics (Cure infections). Don't go north without atleast 3 bandages, 3 morphines, 1-2 bloodbags, 3 painkillers, 1 epipen (optional), and 2-3 antibiotics. Heat packs are optional. You can heat yourself up by sitting near a fire. You can find these supplies in hospitals. *QUICK TIP* You need somebody else to give you a blood transfusion, so blood bags aren't useful when you are playing by yourself. Instead, find an animal and kill / gut it. Each steak = 800 blood.

7. NAVIGATIONAL SUPPLIES

In order to get somewhere North, you will need to be able to navigate. These are important if you want to go somewhere specific. There are many supplies, but the most common are Maps And Compasses. Don't go north without one map and one compass. If you don't have a map, you can use one you find online (heres a great one: http://dayzdb.com/map). If you find a GPS, keep it! One GPS = A compass and a better map in one.

8. OTHER USEFUL SUPPLIES

Finally, there are a few useful supplies that you should keep if you come across them. First, binoculars. If you don't have a weapon with a good scope on it, you will want to use binoculars to see whats far away from you. These become very useful when you are a few hundred meters away from a town and you want to see how many zombies there are in it, etc. If you are planning on playing during the night, bring anything that provides light: Flashlights (you spawn with one), chemlights, flares, or nightvision goggles (rare). These will help when you are roaming throughout the night. Also, if you find clothing packages, be sure to pick them up! Ghillie suits and Camo clothing can really come in handy. If you find civilian clothing however, ignore it. The final thing i want to talk about is toiletries. The DayZ team added toilet paper and razor blades (for shaving) to the game. However, you can't use them yet. In DayZ Standalone however, they will probably play a big role, so you may want to bring these north in the future. I'll update the list once standalone comes out.

Thats it! Hope the list was helpful! If i forgot anything, please tell me. If you have any questions or concerns, please tell me too.

Thanks for reading! Please check out my other posts and give me your beans if you like this!

*Schematics used from DayZ Wiki: http://dayz.gamepedia.com

Edited by carbine781
  • Like 6

Just one thing you forgot is "Patience" don't just run in, otherwise BAM thirty min walk for nothing

HAHAHA! @Carbine - That avatar pic is one of my drawings from ages ago lol. Where did you find it? It suits you.

• Like 3

I'm planning on making a really sedluded hideout somewhere.

Can anyone give advidce on housing, bases, I would really like to try and have a permanent one...one I can store my loot in.

HAHAHA! @Carbine - That avatar pic is one of my drawings from ages ago lol. Where did you find it? It suits you.

Haha thats awesome. I found it online in google images when i searched "DayZ cartoon". Nice pic, i like it XD

• Like 1

I'm planning on making a really sedluded hideout somewhere.

Can anyone give advidce on housing, bases, I would really like to try and have a permanent one...one I can store my loot in.

Hello. let me help you out. Unfortunately, you can't camp out in houses yet. However, you can make camps and store your items there. You have to use camping tents. http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Tent. You just place them down, and then you can put items in there. I recommend putting your camp in a forest near a small town. I'm not sure about this, but once you put your tent down and place stuff in it, don't forget to use your scroll wheel and select Save Tent. This also goes with vehicles. You can put your tents anywhere, but the most common areas are in the middle of nowhere in a forest or open area. Hope this helps!

Awareness. I got ran over today, and never even saw the truck. Had I seen the truck had would have been dead.

Fame at last, Fraggle! I actually thought it was you. I didnt think to actually read the name.

@carbine. Good choice in avatar. And interesting guide although I disagree that a main weapon is needed. When folk see someone with *just* an axe it can often lure them in to a false sense of security...

Im an axey kinda guy,

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 1

Yep. Many a lone axeman i have followed and not felt the urge to simply drill in the back of the head and plenty of times i have not been shot because i only had an axe. Its the best form of protection from being shot on sight.

That whole avatar deal is freaky huh :D ..The Fraggle zone... ooo.. EEEEEEEEE !!! oooooooooooo

• Like 1

Great guide, and everyone HAS to go North or otherwise they'll remain in the utter hellhole of the South. Although you'll see less PvP, people in the North are typically better equipped, making firefights much more difficult and dangerous. To be on a level playing field, I'd recommend you'd find a good midrange rifle with common ammo. The Enfield/AKM/SA58/AK74 all fit this profile. They are common, reasonably effective, and pack quite a bit of damage(except the AK74). For carrying food stores, medical supplies, and extra ammo and firearms, I'd recommend you find a large or medium sized backpack. My personal favorites are the Alice and the Czech pack. They both blend in well and offer reasonable storing capacity. Now for disposing of zombies, either a hatchet or Revolver would do. Nothing else(par the Makarov SD, but that's private hive) is worth the trouble. Stick to the forests and country side and avoid small villages, as the majority are full of scenery houses that are not enterable. Once you've found a decent place to loot(NEA, Stary Sobor/Novy Sobor, various Castles), you have a few options. You could search for a car; unless you travel in a group I recommend one of the two trucks over anything else. Period. You could also move to the forest and become a hunter gatherer and hide the precious loot in tents. You could become a medic and save those noobs who forgot to pack morphine. Or you could become a bandit, but I don't recommend that based on my moral standards(morality on the internet? what is this sorcery?).

Edited by Cap'n
  • Like 1

Fame at last, Fraggle! I actually thought it was you. I didnt think to actually read the name.

@carbine. Good choice in avatar. And interesting guide although I disagree that a main weapon is needed. When folk see someone with *just* an axe it can often lure them in to a false sense of security...

Im an axey kinda guy,

Rdgs

LoK

Your actually one of the first people to say that. I've never thought about it to be honest, but i've sort of assumed. Its sort of hard to axe people at the nw airfield :P Thanks for your comment :)

Very misleading guide. What you really need is a hatchet and 1 drink item and you can grab them on the way to the north areas.

If you decide to gather supplies first and then die during your trip to the north - time you've spent on looting supplies was wasted.

Just grab a hatchet to defend from zeds and then rush Stary and/or NWAF barracks. If you manage to brab some weapon and survive now will be the time to look for food/backpacks etc. Basically - head north only if you've got nothing to loose or you're already well armed.

Very misleading guide. What you really need is a hatchet and 1 drink item and you can grab them on the way to the north areas.

If you decide to gather supplies first and then die during your trip to the north - time you've spent on looting supplies was wasted.

Just grab a hatchet to defend from zeds and then rush Stary and/or NWAF barracks. If you manage to brab some weapon and survive now will be the time to look for food/backpacks etc. Basically - head north only if you've got nothing to loose or you're already well armed.

I wouldn't call it misleading at all. There's as many different approaches to playing DayZ as there are players. The OP is just offering some of his advice based on his experiences/playstyle.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

You could just do what I do and beeline to Stary. Good loot, and it's only a 6km run. After all, who needs supplies when you have swag?

Decent guide, but I do think you maybe went a little heavy on the supplies. You've got 9 food/drink and 12 max for meds. Say you get a 16 slot pack, leaving only 7 slots left for your ammo and misc, definitely not enough to get a 2nd rifle if you find it, or a tent. You do mention not to really bother with blood/epi unless you play with others, but it's not very explicit that you should pack differently for solo than you would in a group. And in general, I think the people that would make use of this guide are solo players.

Even with that though, that only frees up 4 more slots. You can find painkillers, food and drink fairly reliably in the castles and supermarkets in the North. I normally don't head out with any more than 3 drinks and 2-3 cans of food. This may be because I tend to supermarket hop, but 5 and 4 is a bit excessive imo. Also, even with the new infection system, 2-3 antibiotics is a little much. So long as you're cooking your meat and boiling your water, 1 will do you just fine, 2 if you don't loot much. I of course pack more, but I'm a medic.

Still a useful guide though. I'd say not to be so hard on the hatchet, but I suppose that's just a matter of preference.

Decent guide, but I do think you maybe went a little heavy on the supplies. You've got 9 food/drink and 12 max for meds. Say you get a 16 slot pack, leaving only 7 slots left for your ammo and misc, definitely not enough to get a 2nd rifle if you find it, or a tent. You do mention not to really bother with blood/epi unless you play with others, but it's not very explicit that you should pack differently for solo than you would in a group. And in general, I think the people that would make use of this guide are solo players.

Even with that though, that only frees up 4 more slots. You can find painkillers, food and drink fairly reliably in the castles and supermarkets in the North. I normally don't head out with any more than 3 drinks and 2-3 cans of food. This may be because I tend to supermarket hop, but 5 and 4 is a bit excessive imo. Also, even with the new infection system, 2-3 antibiotics is a little much. So long as you're cooking your meat and boiling your water, 1 will do you just fine, 2 if you don't loot much. I of course pack more, but I'm a medic.

Still a useful guide though. I'd say not to be so hard on the hatchet, but I suppose that's just a matter of preference.

A few people have said that to me. So, i just wrote down before the list starts "Do note, that you don't need to get the exact ammounts, and these may be slightly exaggerated for some people. Experiment. This strategy is used so you don't have to go to Stary Sobor"

Thanks for the help! :)

Edited by carbine781
  • Like 1

All i ever use to go north is a hatchet and just food supplies and i raid small towns for matches and the knife to get food from cows. works for me.