Sign in to follow this  
Cap'n (DayZ)

Turn sout you can play DayZ with Linux...

As it turns out, Nvidia drivers don't work out too well with Linux so unless you've got a decent AMD card you'll get numerous graphical errors.

I've been using Linux exclusively since 2006, my experience has always been positive with Nvidia.

I think if you do a bit of research, you'll find that it is in fact ATI/AMD who are the ones whoe make sub par video drivers for linux.

There's a reason why Valve is co-operating with Nvidia and not ATI/AMD.

I have to agree with airtonix. My experience has always been great with NVidia in Linux, but ATI/AMD no so much.

I really hope to see native Linux client/server for DayZ, but I've learned not to hold my breath for ports. If they do become available I will go all-out with a dedicated server and community. Otherwise I'll hardly even play the game as I'd rather take a kick in the nuts than boot into Windows. As for wine, I refuse to mess with it. It's too much of a pain in the ass for painfully reduced performance. That's if you can even get anything to run. It certainly has great uses for software, but for a AAA game it's most likely wishful thinking.

Valve has certainly done a lot for the Linux gaming scene within a very short amount of time. Let's hope the Steam Machines will be more successful than I expect and help to push the industry in a cross-platform direction. Only time will tell.

I have to agree with airtonix. My experience has always been great with NVidia in Linux, but ATI/AMD no so much.

I really hope to see native Linux client/server for DayZ, but I've learned not to hold my breath for ports. If they do become available I will go all-out with a dedicated server and community. Otherwise I'll hardly even play the game as I'd rather take a kick in the nuts than boot into Windows. As for wine, I refuse to mess with it. It's too much of a pain in the ass for painfully reduced performance. That's if you can even get anything to run. It certainly has great uses for software, but for a AAA game it's most likely wishful thinking.

Valve has certainly done a lot for the Linux gaming scene within a very short amount of time. Let's hope the Steam Machines will be more successful than I expect and help to push the industry in a cross-platform direction. Only time will tell.

I found this on the steam forums

Run DayZ Standalone on Linux/SteamOS and MacOS

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/discussions/0/648814842704892367/

I might try it using my sons steam/DayZ account