In a country where there are less than 100 people where there used to be thousands, do you think that realistically people would shoot on sight? Of course not. People are social animals which is one thing the game cant account for. In real life, I dont think there would ever be so many bandits because A. how could they live with themselves and B. how could they live alone?

Its one thing the game cant account for, you end up with bandits who dont have a social deficit because of real life friendships who instead like to shoot people because its fun and they might find some good loot. IRL would you kill for a backpack? IRL would you kill for some beans? Of course not. But the game is brilliant because it asks these questions of ourselves and should really make people think. What do you think?

I think the fact that most people wouldn't do this IRL is why people would do it on a game; they want to act out someone that isn't them. It's the purpose of a game to allow you to experience what you normally don't. Some people like to place themselves as they are in a different situation, others like to simply be another person entirely.

• Like 3

the trubble is that dayz is and alpha and the zombies are rubbish and no threat AT ALL

net resault is that dayz is broken and boring

once you have kitted out there in nothing to do but hord stuff in tents, find and use cars or kill people

hopefully things will change when the sa comes out and zombies are harder to suvive

....and playing as bandit is so much easier ;)

Decent topic OP, not a new one but stil la good read.

However, first of all, who said that there's only a hundred people in Chernarus? Just because a server is limited to 100 people concurrently, this doesn't mean there's a maximum of 100 people, far from it.

That aside I truly believe people would commonly go "bandit" in such a situation. True, humans are social, but that's given the right circumstances, but deep in the core of all of us is in-built instinct of self preservation. How else would you explain things we see on the news every day that humans do to each other? You only have to look at prisons or thirdworld countries to see how desperate and "bad" people can get with certain circumstances, where violence or death are ways of life. This sort of environment desensitises people. I think this is part of the conditioning the environment pushes on people. If anything this proves day z is actually quite good at simulating the environment there because on any thread like this the same sort of opinions crop up "its easier" - this is an opinion formulated from experience! Strongest survive sort of mentality How many times have you let someone live or helped someone only to be killed by them?

In real life this experience would be literally a life or death decision, making the wrong one would see you face down, leaving the bandit standing. It would only be a matter of time before most of the people left standing had killed to survive or been in a situation whereby they should have killed!

That's not to say there wouldn't be groups of social people, cohabiting and forming basic communities (much the way there ARE people doing this in Day Z), but this would have it's own challenges that would test humans and again it all goes back to that deeply personal instinct to survive, preferably by the easiest means!

Edited by Box
  • Like 1

Would you? Who knows. I do know that people shoot on site to protect drug crops or governments shoot on site to protect certain facilities. I think ultimately in a primitive state, survival is what matters most. At first I dont think it would be thaylt bad. But eventually when your Hunter ng down precious food and ammuniton to extend your lively hood, a person would do whatever it takes to preserve their livelyhood. We like to think we are an advanced species but when society support systems break down and your government no longer provides for you people will do terribletterriblethings and desentize themselves and gradually be willing to more heinous things.

I think the whole morals of this situation is besides the point. In a game like this there are always going to be people that want to advance ahead in the game in terms of gear, even if it's at the expense of other player's enjoyment. Bottom line is, most people don't care about the morals of their actions, at least in a video game such as DayZ. Also, there's not much of a penalty for banditry, it is actually encouraged because of the fact that you can get gear quicker and easier, and there's less of a risk than if you were playing with a no KOS gamestyle.

Edited by TheBambiAvenger

I tend to feel that as this game is a sandbox game, ultimately it's just an environment to do what ever the hell you want to do, it shouldn't strongly encourage game play either bandit or hero.

I shoot them with dmr

i get beans and ammo

win win

the trubble is that dayz is and alpha and the zombies are rubbish and no threat AT ALL

net resault is that dayz is broken and boring

once you have kitted out there in nothing to do but hord stuff in tents, find and use cars or kill people

hopefully things will change when the sa comes out and zombies are harder to suvive

Dat grammar.

Dat grammar.

Dat apparent lack of ability to make a constructive post

Stop it.

I would kill someone IRL if there was zombies eating people out there. Why would I be sharing my food and shit except with a select few ? O_O