BrassGorilla

Discussion on gun sights? Sounds good to me!

Hey guys! This is something I've been wondering for a while, and I just picked up an AKS-74 Kobra, so I figured it's about time to figure things out lol There's tons of different sights, whether it's iron sights, dot sights, acog, those weird Kobra sights, sniper scopes, and everything else in between. My question is for some of the weird ones, like the Kobra sights. How do you aim with them? Like seriously lol there's two indicators in this sight, and the iron sights are clearly visible at the bottom. Which do you use? Are they for different differences or what? Similarly, on some of the sniper scopes there's dots for different distances, but I don't know how to use them. Sorry this was rambling and rather nooby, but it's something that I should get out of the way for the sake of progress. Go team!

Well most sights are pretty straight forward, for example for the CCO red dot (close-combat-optic) or Kobra just place the dot over the target and shoot, be aware though that after a certain distance you have to start accounting for bullet-drop (gravity affecting the bullet) so you'll need to adjust for that by raising your sights a bit.

If you find yourself a new gun go and find yourself a quiet spot in the woods and shoot at some trees or practice on zeds to get a feel for the range and scope on your gun. If you have a gun that allows zeroing then it means you can adjust the zeroing to allow for bullet-drop over distance. If your target is at 500ft then you can zero the gun to 500. This means that the bullet-drop is now accounted for by the scope/ironsight and you can place it directly over your target.

Also don't forget that some automatic weapons allow you to choose between single shot, burst fire or full-auto. In almost all circumstances the first two are the way forward, they'll keep your shots more accurate and help you conserve ammo, sometimes though full-auto can be useful for suppressing people/groups or just panicking in close-quarters (spray and pray).

The sniper scopes are a whole different ball-game. They're more complex to use but essentially the sights are designed to let you (the shooter) judge the amount of bullet-drop according to the range you are firing at. Check these vids for a better explanation. The guy in the first vid is using a shooting range mod/map which can be useful for practice too.

There's lots of vids on YT that explain certain guns in great detail so it's always worth having a look.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Most gunsites put the dot or the top the dop/cheveron just bellow the target, right on almost, but so target is showing .

-edit- no way to make it work with keyboard, refer to links!

http://www.taurusarm...ghts-s8big2.jpg

For optics that have a cheveron shaped like this /\ you would put the tip in the same place the red lines intersect in the photo.

....then there is hold over and under for rifles that can adjust zero...but for now i suggest keeping it simple

Edited by Trizzo

Also if you want some practice, start up ArmA and play the tutorials or spend abit of time in the armory and test out some of the guns.

Edited by GOD™
  • Like 2

I know all the scopes in arma2, if youd be more specific you can send me a message if you like.

Recently figured out the Acog scope.

the horizontal lines on the vertical line in the scope is actually your victims shoulder width. if its the right line, shoot :)

• Like 1

I know all the scopes in arma2, if youd be more specific you can send me a message if you like.

Recently figured out the Acog scope.

the horizontal lines on the vertical line in the scope is actually your victims shoulder width. if its the right line, shoot :)

Dayum, well I never knew that. See, you learn something every day.

I found the Kobra sight is a bit strange. The top dot doesn't really correspond to any range.

At medium ranges aim a bit under the top dot. At long ranges aim with the tip of the chevron. In general you want to be aiming in between the two.

^^Gews, I was waiting for you to turn up with one of your uber guides.

Also on the ACOG sight, if you can't line it up on their shoulders correctly and you know the range, the center works for 0-100m, and each line down will be where it's zeroed for each additional 100m, up to 600m at the bottom line. You can of course hit them from farther away, but not quite as accurately.

DMR at zoom level one is zeroed at 125m and at zoom level two is zeroed at 400m.

• Like 1

For dot and chevron reticules, the dot is used for automatic fire - it's supposed to compensate for vertical recoil. So the chevron is where the rounds will hit, but you want the dot to still be on target before you shoot, so that the recoil doesn't take you off target.