zipper

Force Global Server Updates

This is an Alpha correct? Why are servers not always running the latest patch? I understand if there are issues with crashes (1.7.1.2) and server owners want to wait for a more stable update which they know will happen asap the next day, but this is kind of silly. I show 546 servers in my six launcher. Assuming all of those servers were 50 slot servers, and they are not, that is 27300 slots for people to play. The DayZ homepage shows 256,040 unique players and 76,949 players in the last 24 hours. Every server right now is literally jam packed, and it doesn't help that there are still servers playing with 1.6, and every version of 1.7.

So my suggestion is, if possible, globally update every server to the latest patch. If there is a problem with servers crashing due to an update, globally roll the servers back. It will really help keep everyone on the same page, and will cut down on the bug reports from people playing on outdated versions of the mod. Additionally I would also suggest adding additional servers. You obviously have the player base to support them, and they are just going to help you find problems with the mod. The number of people playing doesn't match up with the total number of players. It isn't even close.

I apologize if this has been commented on already, I did a search for the topic and found nothing.

+support

I think most servers auto update the code. I could be wrong though. A lot of them forget to edit the description stating that it is 1.7.1.4 though

After going back to my six launcher and filtering for 1.7.1.4 it shows 170 servers total. I understand servers are still updating to the latest patch but having 370 servers unavailable can't be helpful. I know there are some who forget to update their server description but I kinda find it hard to believe so many of them all forgot at the same time. :P

+support

I also agree. While Jorden does have a point with the description problem. If I would be rocket (lucky for everybody I am not) I would deny access to every server running an outdated version, unless this is specifically whitelisted (e.g. for testing purposes if really necessary).

However the problem is also the explosion of players the game had. He might very well have done that beforehand (I don't know as I was swept in with "everybody" else pretty much) and it poses more of a problem now than it did before (Forum getting hammered due to people thinking they found a bug, general whine and cries why it doesn't work, you know what I mean).

I agree, the number of people playing has had an impact. That is why I think it is more important than ever that people are always playing with the latest update.

I agree with you. Entirely. VERY good idea, sir!

I sat around for several hours yesterday waiting for a server. I could only sucessfully play on one - Dallas 53 - for about 30 mins before it crashed and filled up again.

The 4 swedish ones updated almost instantly. Not many of the US servers have upgraded from 1.7.0, STILL. Some are still running the 1.6 builds.

It is very, very, VERY annoying having to sit and wait for a server to update.

So yeah .. the servers should have an 'update' command that rocket can trigger, that makes all server applications automatically download and set up the latest release (or roll back to a previous release, as you were saying).

I'm fairy new to programming, but have done 200+ hours of network coding - I don't think a feature like this would be in the slightest way difficult to add :P

Looking at the change log, I saw on May 24th the following hotfix took effect.

HOTFIX : 24 MAY 2012

Affected addons:

* dayz_code 1.5.8.4

Changelog:

* [NEW] Support for more than 1,000,000 characters

I think it is about time you start to take advantage of this Rocket.

I'm in Central US and I have never had an issue with finding a slot for me and my 4 friends on a server with green ping. I understand the concept behind making sure everyone runs the most recent version for testing, but if there is a sticky that tells you how to revert your version, I don't think the dev team is to worried about it.

I would suggest removing the 'add more servers' bit ... rocket himself said in an interview that about 3 new servers are being added every day. The only response you're going to get from rocket is 'gooby pls'

I think the 'global update' feature would be enough to solve all our problems :P

You know .. rocket .. this could be the sole feature in the next release, and you'd make a lot of people really happy!

I'm in Central US and I have never had an issue with finding a slot for me and my 4 friends on a server with green ping. I understand the concept behind making sure everyone runs the most recent version for testing' date=' but if there is a sticky that tells you how to revert your version, I don't think the dev team is to worried about it.

[/quote']

I haven't ever had an issue joining a server either...until today. If you have six launcher, do a filter for 1.7.1.4. Practically every server is full, and has been now for awhile. I understand more servers are being updated as I write this, but in trying to join multiple servers the chat log is filled entirely of people trying to join. Server admins would probably be better off locking their servers once they got to %85-%90 of their available slots since I'm sure all those people trying to join isn't helping server stability.

The dev team might not be worried about it now, but if this were to become a standalone game, this is something they are going to have to deal with eventually, so why not now when we are in a testing phase anyway?

I would suggest removing the 'add more servers' bit ... rocket himself said in an interview that about 3 new servers are being added every day.

The only response you're going to get from rocket is 'gooby pls'

I think the 'global update' feature would be enough to solve all our problems :P

You know .. rocket .. this could be the sole feature in the next release' date=' and you'd make a lot of people really happy!

[/quote']

I don't think Rocket realized how much the player population would explode. Opening up even 300 slots a day when there are over 200,000 unique players appears to be quite insufficient. Now I'm not saying there should be 40,000 servers or anything, but I would believe keeping the available slots close to at least %50 the last 24 hour player average would be ideal. I also believe there was quite a drop off of players from the Arma 2 beta patch affecting night time play. With the new updates to the night environment, and the addition of a new game mechanic (melee weapons) I'd be willing to bet there will be a higher average of people playing in relatively short order.

I 100% agree with this!

Most of my servers show 1.7.1.1

And a good chunk of the very few 1.7.1.4 servers are actually 1.7.1.1 servers when you join them.

It's annoying to look trhough 50 servers wit hthe wrong version only to find one with your version, but it's either full, not your version after all, low fps og you get stuck at loading.

I support this. There are several reasons this would be better

1: everyone tests the same version,creating more feedback toward the devs.

2: People cannot abuse differences in patches anymore. For example making a new char in a 1.6 server, giving you a pistol then logging in a 1.7 server.

3: The community can be better supported, you dont have to give whole lists of information anymore if you have a problem.

4: The community wont be fragmented anymore bu different server patches.

It is simply quite a mess right now.

2: People cannot abuse differences in patches anymore. For example making a new char in a 1.6 server' date=' giving you a pistol then logging in a 1.7 server.

[/quote']

This was actually one of the main reasons I started thinking about this. Less about getting a pistol and joining a server, and more related to using duping bugs/exploits and then joining an updated server. People die on an updated server and can just roll back to a previous version, getting their items again, and then they update once again. Seems like a lengthy process but it really isn't. It's just an extra step or two people would have to take to save them hours of hunting for new gear.

Worst idea ever. Imagine microsoft forced every pc to update to the latest version of windows? Madness! The solution is to separate the code base into stable and dev channels, that way normal players can play on stable, while the more involved members of the community can run the dev build and give more useful targeted feedback. Simple as.

Worst idea ever. Imagine microsoft forced every pc to update to the latest version of windows? Madness! The solution is to separate the code base into stable and dev channels' date=' that way normal players can play on stable, while the more involved members of the community can run the dev build and give more useful targeted feedback. Simple as.

[/quote']

This is not a completed game. This is an Alpha, therefore there are no "stable" builds for them to give us. Additionally, you mention Microsoft forcing people to update. That is not a product they are testing. What you are talking about is similar to what Blizzard does with WoW, EA does with BF3, etc. etc.. Those are completed games that require no testing by the masses. The patches those companies test go to a select group to do the testing, and those companies already know the patch, for the most part, will be fine. There are still always bugs that occur in every patch with every game, but none more so than in an Alpha build of a game.

Your post concerns me however. There are not "normal players" and "more involved players". Everyone playing this mod is testing an Alpha build. We are all supposed to be reporting bugs and providing feedback, regardless of whether or not you have been playing for a week, or a year. This is the reason I posted what I did. We all need to be on the same page in order to provide feedback to the powers that be. When and if the mod is ever released as a standalone game, then what you mention in your post will be an appropriate path for testing and releasing new patches.

Thank you however for your input.

I agree. This is actually out of hand. I cannot play the latest build because the servers that actually do have the latest build are full. While the others that have old versions are nearly empty. I've seen so many servers where it looks like it just becoming an exploit for players. Hell I have seen a server that had a total of 2 slots and was not updated to the newest version.

This is an issue. The people playing this game are testing it. Looking for bugs while at the same time trying to find fun ways to play it. There needs to be a force update somehow. Or even remove the privilege of those that refuse to update to host the game.