robersdee

Seriously what happened Rocket?

about a month ago I found myself running through the countryside, hours on end, doing literally nothing but travelling , surviving , looting and having one of the most unique and engrossing experiences I've had in a game, in ANY game. I've been a gamer for most of my life, and as I've gotten older I really started to lose interest in my hobby, my lifelong hobby.

Then I was gifted arrowhead by a friend who pointed me in the direction of a cool little mod, a sandbox zombie experience? count me the fu*k in!

and I played it from early beta( SORRY: Alpha, when you can't pick a valid argument, then pick up on a typo)

enjoyed it, looked past the small bugs and was truly blown away by this concept, I was playing a game where alot of the time I did nothing but run or walk and yet I couldn't stop.

I've sat in a deerstand at sunset with the rain pouring down and lightning flashed, a few zombies shambled around a barn in the distance, I scanned the horizon for life, and literally FELT like a survivor, gathered supplies and arms, ran through streets and got out of some serious scrapes, sure I've died alot but Its been a hell of a ride.

but.... as of late

this mod has gone to sh*t like major sh*t

its like a little kid painting a picture at elementary school, it gets to a point where its fine, it looks fine and works as a picture, then the kid keeps painting and painting because he thinks its fun, and ends up ruining it.

Rocket is that kid, he adds 5 new things that break another 10 things, rinse repeat this with almost every patch/hotfix, this was actually enjoyable around the 1.6 ish mark, it was challenging enough to punish new users, and also steady enough to keep veterans on their toes. zombie evading techniques were developed by players to survive and it was actually really really really engrossing.

now with every new patch its jumping the shark more and more, starting players with nothing but a bandage and painkillers? not fun. super agressive X-ray zombies? not fun. I fell over for no reason and broke my legs with a week old character with some truly great gear (gear I worked hard at getting) certainly not fun.

I may come back to this in a year or so, when It's in some playable and "fun" state, as of now its just got really fu*king old, really fu*king fast.

my 2 pence.

Rob

Again the whole point of Alpha development is to add mechanics, to play with the game to see what works and doesn't work so Rocket is doing exactly as he should be...plus it's his painting he can make a nice happy family then set their house on fire then steal the beans in the shed if he wants lol.

In this thread: "HURR DURR I MAD THAT THIS GAME IS ALPHA, ROCKET WHY YOU NO WORK FASTER AND MAKE BETTER"

Again the whole point of Alpha development is to add mechanics' date=' to play with the game to see what works and doesn't work so Rocket is doing exactly as he should be...plus it's his painting he can make a nice happy family then set their house on fire then steal the beans in the shed if he wants lol.

[/quote']

precisely, hence why the analogy works. Dayz belongs to the players now, like it or not.

and I played it from early beta

Well-written, but you kind of lost all credibility at that line.

This game is Alpha. It hasn't even hit Beta yet. So just relax and enjoy the (bumpy) ride.

For your finger painting analogy, the game around 1.6 was a few general smears on the page in the general shape of the object rocket wants to paint. You might have thought it looked nice, and you're welcome to your opinion, but you're not the artist, and he hasn't even begun to get anywhere near done.

By all means, point out bugs you've found or gameplay decisions you think are causing problems, but playing an Alpha and expecting it not to change is like starting to read the Day Z forums and expecting no new posts to be made. Sort of. Crappy analogy.

L2Adapt Pl0x

I dont realy see how this game has changed much, if you want to never see anyone, go north and you can be all on your own forever. Enjoy!

In this thread: "HURR DURR I MAD THAT THIS GAME IS ALPHA' date=' ROCKET WHY YOU NO WORK FASTER AND MAKE BETTER"

[/quote']

again, what are you 12? did you even read what I wrote? or is that your generic fanboy copy paste reply, wipe you nose pal, its covered in sh*t.

Im not saying work faster, I'm saying It was fun at some point and now every addition breaks twice as many things, its just not enjoyable anymore

In this thread: "HURR DURR I MAD THAT THIS GAME IS ALPHA' date=' ROCKET WHY YOU NO WORK FASTER AND MAKE BETTER"

[/quote']

again, what are you 12? did you even read what I wrote? or is that your generic fanboy copy paste reply, wipe you nose pal, its covered in sh*t.

Im not saying work faster, I'm saying It was fun at some point and now every addition breaks twice as many things, its just not enjoyable anymore

Thinks have to break before you can fix them :)

Jumping the shark is a very good description of what's happening to the game. Rocket is taking good ideas and just going way too far with them and thus ruining the game. He seems to be forgetting this is a GAME and is supposed to be fun. The game went from the perfect blend of survival and zombie killing to a chore.

I play from the perspective that I am privileged to be able to test the mod, and anticipate bugs and problems. I then take video or screen shots of problems and report them.

I don't get all butt destroyed cause a particular feature is being tested or was modified and forced me to adjust.

Anyone who has ever tried programming knows you hardly ever code anything perfectly the first time. The whole point of an alpha stage is to add those features and iron out the bugs, test how the features affect the game and so on. Complaining that things a broken, or that adding new features breaks things, makes no sense. That's exactly how it is supposed to be.

You're right, come back in a year when its a full release and you wont have to deal with this. Because it will be a released product, and complaints about the existence of bugs will be valid.

[/quote']

This is not a game, it's a modification of a game.

I wonder if people actually know that it normally takes up to a year for a mod to update. We're incredibly lucky that Rocket is investing so much time into this.

-I didn't understand this was an alpha-

Its not cool to say Rocket is a 5 year old kid and that DayZ is the work of a Kindergarten art project. Like seriously, I don't care how old you are, STFU or figure out how to make better analogies.

I understand that you liked DAYZ back when it had just came out. Thing is that from those days DAYZ was always planned to be more then what you fell in love with.

If you don't like where its going? Tough luck.

If you can't stand broken features being added and then fixed due to player (your) feedback... don't play this alpha.

This mod is the largest playtest of an ALPHA Concept for a future video game (think retail). Its new to the industry and honestly quite bitching in my opinion.

ITT: People with aspergers praising Rocket on how good he is at video games and that it is alpha stage so you cannot complain and/or express how you feel about the game as of late (Only if negative).

[/quote']

Do you even know what the hell you're actually supposed to do here?

Do you even know what a fucking mod is?

Rocket Defence Force in full swing.

indeed, devoid of opinion (there own that is) ready to automatically shove their noses up his arse, nice job guys.

and ytman, its an analogy, do you understand that difficult word? obviously not.

ITT: People with aspergers praising Rocket on how good he is at video games and that it is alpha stage so you cannot complain and/or express how you feel about the game as of late (Only if negative).

Lawl. You got a point there. :P