Sign in to follow this  
Shadow Man

Melee combat

I played Condemned recently and it occurred to me that the melee system it has would suit Dayz quite well.

The whole idea of grabbing a branch from a tree or a log or a stone off the ground and slugging it with the zombies would be awsome. Personally I'd like to see less people running around with military weapons, almost to the point that at least half of all combat is melee. Whether or not pvp melee works due to latency is a possible problem, but even still, having to physically batter your way through the Z's would be great fun.

• Like 1

Anyone played Medieval Chivalry(?) - i think the devs are taking some inspiration from that.

I really hope for many more melee items and like you said military grade weapons are a little rarer.

Anyone played Medieval Chivalry(?) - i think the devs are taking some inspiration from that.

I really hope for many more melee items and like you said military grade weapons are a little rarer.

I have yet to, however I am quite the slayer of foe in mount and blade.

I would like the weapons in left 4 dead for inspiration... pans, bitches! :D

Having weapons in ur grasps at all times would cause very bad things. IT would make axe murderes everywhere only not with axes. They would have bricks and tree branches. Also i don't think it would work well with DayZ as it is cuz the Hatchet is poorly made imagine trying to make all those melee weps

Edited by cyles99

You mean Chivalry: Medieval Warfare? Because if melee in DayZ was like that...

Oh my god...

• Like 2

^ Chivalry is an excellent timesink.The combat is quite fun. All about timing and feints - and the quick parry/counter of course.

I'm rank 28. Don't see how this can at all relate to DayZ though.

i think they should definitely get a solid mele system in.

and it be more responsive.

and have a lot more and different types of weapons.

taking zombies out silently is critical.

and in a realistic scenario one could grab just about anything and use it.

Having weapons in ur grasps at all times would cause very bad things. IT would make axe murderes everywhere only not with axes. They would have bricks and tree branches. Also i don't think it would work well with DayZ as it is cuz the Hatchet is poorly made imagine trying to make all those melee weps

The point was to have a more realistic and varied melee system so that you need to think a bit more about a situation. The different weapons would all have different stats. Can you imagine actually fighting with a brick? A small branch wouldn't do a lot of damage, so against 1 enemy you may be ok but with 3 or 4 enemies you would be better running away. Or use a more dangerous weapon like a nail board (which you could make yourself). You could make a spear if you hae a knife for a longer reach stabby weapon.

Also you talk as if there AREN'T any axe murderers already.

I am secretly hoping someone will mod the SA into an almost gun-free game. The odd one here or there. No scopes, snipers or automatic weapons, and very limited ammo. Of course pointless without a melee system though.

At the very least we should be able to punch someone in the face.