evotech

Zombies after patch 7.1.1.4

I think either the zombies are broken or the goal is to remove stealth from the game.

I just gave 1.7.1.4 a try and the zombies spotted me from a hundred meters even when I was crouched moving. They also seem to detect crawling pretty easy' date=' though not as bad as crouched.

They seem to have super hearing. I was crouch moving inside a building on the third floor and zombies were piling up outside and shrieking every time I moved.

[/quote']

If the goal is to remove stealth of the game then this is A - very fucking stupid and B - they cant remove stealth then give us no fucking gun to start with thats just fucked up.

Its like yeah were taking your gun away oh and watch out because every zombie in cherno will be after you and you cant defend yourself.... yeah thanks!

I started yesterday with a new character, I usually try to sneak my way around. My last char had ~250 kills in 18 days playing time.

I ended tonight's playing session with 155 Zombie kills. 0_0

Zombies seem to notice you now over VAST distances and god save you if you're forced to fire a weapon. You'll pull every single Zombie this side of the milky way.

I've been spotted while prone & perfectly still on the floor in a shed with the doors closed.

But have also had what seemed like the entire population of chernarus chase me into a house just to freeze in their steps & just stare at me...

Defo seems to be some shenanigans going on with stealth now.

If the goal is to remove stealth of the game then this is A - very fucking stupid and B - they cant remove stealth then give us no fucking gun to start with thats just fucked up.

Its like yeah were taking your gun away oh and watch out because every zombie in cherno will be after you and you cant defend yourself.... yeah thanks!

In a game like this, when our sound, and light is a constant factor of life and death stealth plays probably the biggest role in survival. Definitely needs reverting.

Zombies seem to notice you now over VAST distances and god save you if you're forced to fire a weapon. You'll pull every single Zombie this side of the milky way.

^That, but do they respawn instantly as well when you kill them now? Cause they just keep on coming...

Unplayable, any server the same, random ambush from gods know where, shoot that zombie, quiet for a good minute and then it just swarms, and it seems the X zombies you kill respawn multiplied by 1 (Kill 1 get 2 more, kill 2 get 4 more and so on).

True, something is srsly weird. They spot you far to easy now.

I signed up for the forums just to put in my 2 cents. Zombies are ridiculous now. There's a fine line between being a challenging game, and just being absolutely annoying. The latest update has crossed this line. Revert crouch walking. I understand this is suppose to be "realistic" but zombies randomly spawning in front of you and hearing you if the mouse in the field next to you farts, its pretty lame.

Why would you incorporate new LoS that doesn't work, if the zombies aren't even polished enough yet. (I know everyone has wasted some bullets firing at dead zombie because the death animation lags and they seem to still be "alive" for a full second ). Im going to try and find some servers that are still 1.7.1, since that in my opinion was the best version yet.

Im kinda afraid to play on this patch.

Tried for a few minutes, was walking crouched through the woods when from nowhere came 2 zeds. Killed both. Two more came. Killed them again. One more came. Killed him.

Everything was quiet.

Just moved to a better spot and left the game.

The behaviour has changed quite a bit.

Even when you kill them with a hatchet (try that out before it gets nerfed!! seriously!) other zombis in the area seem to "feel" when you kill their brethren and come running. They also seem to spawn really fast again.

There is also the problem of zombis spawning either in the floor or on rooftops of buildings. I guess this has something to do with how the floor is defined in the large brown wooden barns.

You can loose aggro though simply by running into a barn from one end (make shure all the zombis follow you closely so no one runs around) and out of the other end. Barns are long enough that they dont hear you most of the time.

I'm sure it will get tweaked again. Hope the runner speed drops a bit, and to see shamblers added etc.

I was on top of the Balota Airfield control tower shooting zeds, but they didn't bother swarming the building for some reason. (using an M249)

Also noted the jump in noise / sight meters, I managed to sneak while they were not looking at me and I also hugged the hell out of buildings / rubble / broken vehicles.

Yeah I've liked every part of the game up to this point. Zombs agrro way to easy and spawn way to fast...... All my buddies and I have been doing is sitting in a house and axing zombies over and over. We finally just logged out because it wasn't fun at all. Might as well go play Killing Floor. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz

The sound / vision icons are working really well before the patch. I was able to sneak past them when they were not looking. Now it seems they have their zombie sense tingling.

Indeed it is now easier to kill all the zombies then sneak around.

Plus their damage is now quite big.

I think zombies were just deadly enough in 1.7.1.1

Same. I don't think the ArmA 2 engine is accurate enough with line-of-sight and current walking surface to support this change in the detection mechanics. Its difficult to tell when you are about to walk from grass to a hard surface, and the sound meter jumps two bars when you do. That's the difference between being heard 20 meters away and being heard 100 meters away. The LoS calculation is obviously broken, and I expect there isn't attenuation of sound by obstructions, i.e. if you are inside and walking you should basically be inaudible and invisible to any z outside the house.

I think these changes were probably put in to satisfy the vets who find the game too easy now that they have stocked camps, large teams and a garage full of vehicles. But obviously they can't be expected to voice the real reason it is too easy for them: they can hang onto stuff permanently, death isn't an issue when someone can grab your stuff for you and you can just go back to your camp to rearm after respawn, and you can stash all your vehicles 40km off the edge of the map so no one else has a hope of stumbling over them.

Oh, also the blatant glitch abuse to duplicate items. I raided a camp the other day which had about 20 NVGs in various tents and vehicles. This would represent 1000s of hours of searching the barracks, pretty obviously they were duplicated using one of the various duplication bugs. These are the things that should be fixed to make late game harder.

It was fine before the hotfix

The LoS was somewhat buggy at times, but it worked quite well

Now we have ridiculously high audio levels when crouch walking

I either crawl through the city like a snail, or I just do a full sprint through the city and break LoS somehow

It's really annoying and not fun

Pre-1.7.1.4 it was challenging to not get caught in the LoS of a zombie that you might have overlooked

Currently it's just...frustrating....oh well....back to doing the Running Man until they fix stealth

Ye it is now a lot harder now the Z's see for miles and hear really well be better if they lower their senses just a small amount as makes it so tough to find a wep in places when Z's can sense u so easily :(

Just an FYI as I have not tested 1.7.1.4 yet and my comments may therefore amount to horseshit but:

1. Zombies running past then turning around: In some cases, I believe this is due to LAG as they are running to the last location updated. This may or may not be related to zombies actively searching you out after losing LoS.

2. Spawning in and agro effect: I have noticed, that if I spawn in WHILE PRONE OR CROUCHED, the server may not be retaining this state, and in fact thinks I am standing and/or running. I am not sure if this is the case, but I've noticed it a few times and do see my Eye/Ear meter jumping up to a value it should not. Maybe stand up/go prone again see if it helps?

Again just some comments, but fuck you all anyway!

*smooch*

been playing for a couple of hours this eve, and i gotta say i think the zombies are over-reactive again.

2 sound and 1 sight bar in the middle of the night, while crouched, walking on grass with just a chem-stick? whoooaaaa there Nelly!

i kinda liked what you did with the sound penalty dependant while prone depending upon surface type, but i think that may also become irritating after a while.

daytime in 1.7.1 was not impossible, just kinda boring/irritating on your own, but night time was spot on - absolutely spot on imo.

imo you're currently drifting to and fro over a very fine line between challenging/down-right-scary and irritating/boring.

i don't think you should go for hyper realism, a bit of fantasy's a good thing.

is there any way you can make it so that distance defines the zombies reaction? so if it suspects something it shuffles over, but if it gets a bulls eye it just goes for you?

could set up scenarios where zombies are coming to investigate someone who thinks they've stealthed a route etc..?

or that they see movement from quite a distance and start shuffling towards it - keep people on their toes kinda thing..?

try lowering the sound/sight penalty but putting head based LOS back in? - i mean, just how good is a walking corpse's sight and hearing anyway?

why the hell are some people saying "why bother adding LOS if the zombies are broke" it's an alpha and it's all about testing suck it up or fu*k off, your here to test not to moan and say you won't be playing till a later hotfix!

even rocket has said to not bitch and moan and just report bugs :/

It was fine before the hotfix

The LoS was somewhat buggy at times' date=' but it worked quite well

Now we have ridiculously high audio levels when crouch walking

I either crawl through the city like a snail, or I just do a full sprint through the city and break LoS somehow

It's really annoying and not fun

Pre-1.7.1.4 it was challenging to not get caught in the LoS of a zombie that you might have overlooked

Currently it's just...frustrating....oh well....back to doing the Running Man until they fix stealth

[/quote']

Exactly. I don't know about the "Vets", but I have a job and other things to do. I mean I can play crawlZ when I have free time, but logging on just to slither around on my stomach for a few hours just to get to location I want then need to log off to sleep for work?

In 1.7.1.1 I could run up to the airfield, scout it out, avoid the zombies, spot players because I'm not scared a random zombie will come and beat me senseless for standing still, and be able to enjoy my dinner knowing Im in a good spot when I log back on...

If this is as Rocket intends, why not make him put cowbells on all the newly spawned players and add tap-dancing shoes onto them as well? At least that would make sense.

The game is quickly being made unplayable. Stealth has been basically removed. Zombies now sit ON TOP of loot drops forcing survivors to kill them to get at much of anything. THEN the final insanity...the removal of the survivor's weapon.

I suggest ceasing playing DayZ until some sanity returns.

You have a point there, billw, regarding the stockpiling of goodies by 24 hour teams. That's probably for another thread though.

I have a slightly different view on the zombies - my point is that I have always had to crawl around in Dayz. As soon as you can hear the filthy cough of a zombie, it's always been nearly too late and have always walked around to try and avoid detection. I'm not sure how people ran past them before. (It's entirely possible that I'm crap at this game, by the way). I personally see no difference in zombie-avoidance from the last couple of updates. It's always taken me AGES to loot a town.

The good thing for me now is that I can at least lead the zombies a merry dance and use my non zombie brain to leave them inside houses without having to alert the hoard by plinking at them with a Marakov.

If this is as Rocket intends' date=' why not make him put cowbells on all the newly spawned players and add tap-dancing shoes onto them as well? At least that would make sense.

[/quote']

Because it's probably not what Rocket intends.. and you are in fact nothing but a lowly alpha test, who is not only UNPAID, but had to PAY for the game in order to alpha test it.

You are frustrated, and that is good, at least you feel something.. think of the poor zombies man, all they can feel is the need to eat brains, and some fucker keeps re-wiring their stupid little logic circuits over and over just think how frustrated they are!

Oh my god i'm weeping just thinking of the poor zombies...

Yes. Zombies seem to aggro from everywhere, even through big buildings with no way to see me.