Writhe (DayZ)

lets end pay to win servers.

What does everyone think about these pay to win servers? If you don't know what I am talking about the "admins" usually have you donate x amount, usually something like $10 dollars and you get a load out It can be anything they want and usually the more you pay the higher tier crap you get.

I know for most people that seems like a very primitive explanation of pay to win servers, but that is just for anyone who is unfamiliar with what is going on or is new to dayz.

Does anyone have a list of pay to win servers and non pay to win servers? Also Is it illegal for these admins to be making a profit off of "donations"?

For those people who don't want to believe admins are making money, or want to think that the admins are using the money towards their severs, keep in mind that servers can be as cheap as 30$ (dayz.st) and anywhere up to $120 monthly. Now I am sure there are more costly servers and you also have to factor in things such as ts3 server (which is cheap) and a website which can be free. But there is no way the amount of monthly costs isn't being reached with the amount of donaters on these servers.

What do people think about this and how can we stop it?

how can we stop it?

Stop playing on those servers.

/thread

I understand that is an option, but as these servers gain popularity it will creep into other games? I mean haven't you noticed over the last few years how games have become more monetized and profit hungry machines? If we just ignore this it will only get worse until games are barely fun. At this rate the next elder scrolls will require you to buy your quests. first person shooters will want you to buy individual maps, etc etc

I use Vilayer Clan-pay for my donations so all I can spend it on is the server :)

and nobody gets anything extra, not even me. Some may get limited admin access to restart server etc, but not access to wipe anything or alter load-out. (which is standard load out for everyone on my server)

Edited by wooly-back-jack

It's not illegal. Donations are made on behalf of a user for the server, That's like me giving £5 to someone to help their lemonade stand because it tasted good. It is not a requirement

Donations can be legally give and accepted accepted, as long as they don't claim to be charities.

Anyone is free to part with their money at their discretion, and free to decide where tehy wish to pay.

There's no need to take any action here.

It's not illegal. Donations are made on behalf of a user for the server, That's like me giving £5 to someone to help their lemonade stand because it tasted good. It is not a requirement

Donations can be legally give and accepted accepted, as long as they don't claim to be charities.

Anyone is free to part with their money at their discretion, and free to decide where tehy wish to pay.

There's no need to take any action here.

I agree, and you fail to realize that people who host servers also have to have internet to host it, which cost, plus how ever much the server cost, plus if you choose to buy extra anti hack programs, like Navicat, and TSW. Which we have purchased for our servers. Then there is teamspeak, which goes up in price as depending on how may slots it has, same with the dayz hosting company yes maybe it is 30 dollars for like 35 peeps, but you want more on the server you have to pay more, it cost a little more then you think to run a server, not in just money but time. And i didn't even mention that alot of people like to have extra stuff on the server, and some of them scripts you have to pay to get. So i think donations for the server is completely okay, and as long as they are not giving out AS50s for load outs our anything that is op it shouldn't really be a problem. Like we will let you build a small base in the 3d Editor, and you can donate what you feel is right, we will then add it to the server for you. It helps even if the person only gives 3-5 dollars, it helps to keep the server up and going. If you don't like 'pay to win' servers, then just don't play on them. That is the best advice you can get. And im pretty sure there is no server that say you have to donate to play on it. So even if you do play on a server that has a donation option, you don't have to donate, it is completely up to you!

Nothing wrong with Donation.

Like Sara pointed out, u have the server coast each month, but u also have the time u put into the server, i spent hours on my server building, moding, scripting etc.

I do not have any form of donation on my server, but i dont judge ppl that do have it, and again its your choice to donate or not. or simply dont play on them if you dont like it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I run my own server at www.planet-dead.com I spend 12-15 hours each day administrating it and updating it. Trying to make the best server possible. I also have donation loadouts, why? Because i treat this like my job and donations go to help pay for my server costs, teamspeak costs, website and hosting costs, promotional costs, SEO costs and most importantly (to me) my time spent administrating a server by myself (since i dont trust anyone else)

I run my own server at www.planet-dead.com I spend 12-15 hours each day administrating it and updating it. Trying to make the best server possible. I also have donation loadouts, why? Because i treat this like my job and donations go to help pay for my server costs, teamspeak costs, website and hosting costs, promotional costs, SEO costs and most importantly (to me) my time spent administrating a server by myself (since i dont trust anyone else)

I agree, running our server, the scripts, ingame issues, bugs, ect are pretty much my boyfriends job. And to me people who complain about donation need to realize these things, because if it wasn't for someone putting all their time and sometimes money, cuz it isnt like we make millions of dollars getting donations or anything, into the server it would not be there for you guys to play on. And again, most of the servers i have seen have been for donation, which means you dont have to do it if you dont wanna, i have never seen anything like you must pay me this amount to play on our server. And if you did run into a server like that then just dont get on it.