Sign in to follow this  
atomik9274

optimizing dayz settings with 680 sli

so I'm building a gaming rig and om probably going to get a 680 sli setup if the 700 series is to expensive.(hopefully there is a 600 series price drop too =) but im wondering what settings i should put dayz on. this is my first gaming rig so i have never played any games where i had to choose like msaa and stuff like that. my monitor is an asus vs24h-p. i want to get the best picture possible with no lower than 50 frames and high view distance so i can see everything.

this is my rig.

mobo: asus p8z77-v

intel i7 -3770k at around 4.5ghz

680 sli setup

8gb g.skill ripjaws 1600

750gb seagate barracuda

2 ocz vertex 2 80gb ssd's in raid 0. <<< this will hold windows arma 2/dayz and maybe some other games.

so accounting for dayz being installed on a ssd raid 0 setup what should i put my settings at?

oh and i know i dont need and i7 for gaming but im starting a youtube channel and me and some friends are going to be making a game over summer. thanks!

Unfortunately the mod has lots of factors which drain our fps, lots of zombies for example in one area can drastically drop my fps from say 50-55 down to 30-35. There's a thread on here that explains the best processes to finding your perfect settings. I'll try to find it and link it.

You won't get it to use the SLi properly, ARMA 2 just isn't optimised for it.

That being said it should still run more or less max settings. I'd max everything with the exception of post-process effects and if you aren't happy with your FPS drop AA down a couple of notches. Really, it should hold 50-60 FPS in Cherno on those settings though.

*The drivers

I would rather aim to get a 690, as it has the performance of 2 680's but less issues with microstuddering etc (even though it's not needed at all for ONE Full HD Monitor). Also, you can't change the view distance in DayZ as it's fixed server-side. And depending on the server you might still get less than 50 frames, just sayin.

That being said it should still run more or less max settings. I'd max everything with the exception of post-process effects and if you aren't happy with your FPS drop AA down a couple of notches. Really, it should hold 50-60 FPS in Cherno on those settings though.

What are post-process effects? I want aa at least on 2

Edited by atomik9274

What are post-process effects? I want aa at least on 2

It's a setting called 'post-process effects' it's more or less ambient occlusion, motion blur and a DoF blur effect rolled into one. It blurs everything in the distance and actually makes it harder to spot players, it's good practice to disable it anyway.

Off the top of my head I think the AA settings are: disabled, low, normal, high, very high, 5, 6, 7, 8. I would have thought you'd be able to run on at least 'very high'.

That'll do fine. I've heard that renaming your Arma2oa.exe to crysis.exe will make it use both cards

It's a setting called 'post-process effects' it's more or less ambient occlusion, motion blur and a DoF blur effect rolled into one. It blurs everything in the distance and actually makes it harder to spot players, it's good practice to disable it anyway.

Off the top of my head I think the AA settings are: disabled, low, normal, high, very high, 5, 6, 7, 8. I would have thought you'd be able to run on at least 'very high'.

I'd rather skip the blur =]

Most people do. It eats a lot of FPS and hinders you more than it adds to the game. It looks nice if you're taking screenshots or something but other than that it's not really worthwhile.

Most people do. It eats a lot of FPS and hinders you more than it adds to the game. It looks nice if you're taking screenshots or something but other than that it's not really worthwhile.

yea. well thanks for the help! can't wait to play.

*The drivers

I would rather aim to get a 690, as it has the performance of 2 680's but less issues with microstuddering etc (even though it's not needed at all for ONE Full HD Monitor). Also, you can't change the view distance in DayZ as it's fixed server-side. And depending on the server you might still get less than 50 frames, just sayin.

i would get a 690 but they still go for around 850-900 even on ebay. plus, i might be able to get them cheaper when the 700 series comes out.