Sign in to follow this  
Ken Bean

Weather effects which

Hi peeps,

recently I thought about weather effects which temporary change the environment and might be an additional threat for your fellow survivor.

So what do you think about dynamic weather effects like tornados that could be able to make a swath of destruction through a wood area and may also destroy tents and light buildings on their way?

What about rain periods which lead to flooded areas and swelling rivers which also could destroy tents and bildings nearby?

Are there other weather effects you want to see as well? Feel free to discuss.

Edited by Ken Bean

I want better weather effects too like heavy fog, light mist, high winds, heavy rain etc etc

• Like 2

1. Tornadoes wouldn't occur in chernaurus.

2.floods are not possible from a client and server standpoint.

3. Why not just snow?

• Like 1

3. Why not just snow?

1. Dude, in a certain way you are right, in another way not.

Call it Großtrombe, Wind- oder Wasserhose or similar, but whirlwinds basically exist almost everywhere. Maybe on a smaller skale and yes, here you are right, Tornados only exist in America since this is the American-English term for. Other languages have other terms. I'm certain, that whirlwinds can happen in Chernarus too since as said, this is not a weather which only can happen in the USA.

2. Regarding floods and it possibilities, there probably always is a way. Mind that such things could be handeled as global or server wide events. If Diablo two is able to have server wide events, then other online games should be able to handle similar as well.

3. Because I hate snow. ^^ Nah, just kidding, but blizzards (or sth similar) would be awesome. I can't really recall that I ever saw a good snow system, which provided deep built-up snow, so you could watch the snow pack grow.

Edited by Ken Bean

I would like blizzards but don't no if they go with the map???

I tried blowing up the dam near Topolka once but it didn't work. Wanted to flood Elektro, damn it.

• Like 1

3. Why not just snow?

chernaurus is in eastern Europe right? so yes there would be tornadoes also flooding is possible in almost any coastal region(the exception being mostly around interior seas and lakes).

• Like 1

3. Why not just snow?

AND FUCKING MOUNTAINS.

Tornadoes are a no-go in my very honest opinion.

In order to keep the track of realism going, they'd need to be able to destroy many things in their paths, such as houses and forests. This would only cause further lag to the already intensive DayZ.

• Like 1

Tornadoes are a no-go in my very honest opinion.

In order to keep the track of realism going, they'd need to be able to destroy many things in their paths, such as houses and forests. This would only cause further lag to the already intensive DayZ.

Do lieing trees cause considerabely more lag than standing?

So in Arma 2, if 3 guys drive with their Tanks through a wood are, consitantely making traces in there, the server starts lagging?

I mean, player already can destroy a lot of things, including houses.

Would it be a great performance hit, when a tornado once a week may went through?

You sound pretty confident. Maybe you know exactly what we are talking about.

I for my self always thought that AI and physics would be very problematic considering performance.

Edited by Ken Bean