Alright. So whenever I play DayZ, or Arma 2 I can never hear where a sound is coming from? I watch youtubers like frankie and lewis and they seem to be like *gunshot* "Sounds like its coming from the firestation!" *goes to firestation* *Player there* *Kills Player* "hmph" With me its like *gunshot* "Ok someone is here" *Continues looting* I have turtle beach X12's How the fuck can I hear WHERE the shot is coming from? I can barely tell if its left or right? Please for the love of god give me some advice. What headphones do you use? Can you tell where a sound is coming from? I can barely tell the general direction? Please someone help me!

Hey dude, it is really training. For me, I shoot a good bit in my life. I am used to being able to tell where a shot is coming from in real life, so for me it comes in to play here as well. I use Turtle Beach p11's I believe. Make sure your volume is up to a reasonable level. Also, find a server that uses JSRS sound mod. I play on Balota Buddies, where they have it enabled. It not only helps with directional hearing, but makes the game sound 100% better.

Get a decent 5.1 surround sound or, like me a 7.1 surround sound set of headphones, much easier to hear.

Getting a new headset will only get you so far, but a decent one will certainly help! Getting a decent sound card is also a very good idea! The better the sound card, the better sound is generally going to be, and also give more precision as to where gunshots will be coming from. Two of my mates had the same speakers, but different sound cards, and you can tell the difference between the two!

I had the same problem. Screw expensive 7.1 headphones. Ridiculously overpriced.

Get yourself a $20 soundcard. It DOES make a difference. I no longer dance in circles to tell where shots/helis are coming from (even with a shity $20 chinese headset)

Onboard audio sucks and I had no idea how much until I started playing DayZ.

I had the same problem. Screw expensive 7.1 headphones. Ridiculously overpriced.

Get yourself a $20 soundcard. It DOES make a difference. I no longer dance in circles to tell where shots/helis are coming from (even with a shity $20 chinese headset)

Onboard audio sucks and I had no idea how much until I started playing DayZ.

I was reading your post about that earlier looking for a solution, how do I see what sound card I have and whats a good one to get?

Get good hardwear.

I have a set of Sharktoon X-Tactic S7's (7.1 Surround), and the audio is flawless.

With a good headet, the distance you can hear things at is remarkable. Also make sure all your drivers are updated, and it's HOOKED UP CORRECTLY.

I has a set of Tritton AXPro's and I had them hooked up wrong, so I only had Stereo instead of 5.1 surround.

Keep in mind that if you are using a USB headset, it wont make a shit of difference what soundcard you have.

Also, as someone else mentioned, find a server with JSRS. Once you experience it, its hard to go back!!

I use a set of Turtle Beach X11s personally and don't have such an issue, so as others have said I expect it might be the hardware and/or simply a configuration issue. Have you tested out different configurations and do you have this issue with other games? Worth a look

5.1 or 7.1 headphones are a waste of money IMO, the speakers are far too close together to create true surround sound in a headphone cup. You're much better off with a decent stereo headset and soundcard that support simulated surround sound.

• Like 1

heard good things about this pair of headphones no mic though. Audio Technica AD700

OMFG I just got the turtle beach X12 and it is amazing *stars sparkling everywhere*

I just have the green and pink wires plugged into the front of my PC didnt configure it at all and it worked GREAT on my xbox. idfk what soundcard I have but suggestions and shit are much appreciated.

often times the front ports wont be attached to your sound cards amp, so you wont get its simulated surround sound. plug them in the back and try it. if you're in the market for a new sound card then start by looking for a creative sound blaster xfi titanium. cheapish, and possibly the best card around for games. if you listen to music as well then id suggest going with sound blaster z.

Set ur sound to 128 in sound options should make a difference, up until a day ago i was using a 10 quid cheap headset and never had a problem telling where sound comes from, sometimes ppl use tactics to confuse you like unison and offbeat firing. Make sure you have the headset on the right way also, left to left right to right etc.

I started playing with a cheap pair of headphones with only 2.1 channels i think it was, and could never tell where shots/sounds were coming from. Once I got headphones that supported simulated 7.1 surround, I noticed a a big difference in directional/situational awareness. With any skill though, it take time/practice/training to get better at it.

I tend to turn the volume down headphones or speakers. I also rarely move toward a contact, as doing so can invite a world of hurt into any play session. Better to move away evasively, get some distance, choose your terrain and then hook back to contact if need be. Goes without saying that the first thing I did when starting DayZ was to disable the music or whatever those noises are supposed to be.

Either way if you get into cover and wait. You should see your target