hobbicon

Drones/ UAV (Ka-137 and Pchela-1T)

Hi,

what do you think of including one of these two drones?

The Ka-137 (without the mounted machine gun) und the Pchela-1T

Both do not have any weapons, but are great to provide aerial surveillance.

Of course they should be quite hard to get.

Both ingame:

18c3620334397.jpg

KA-137 3rd person und inside view:

327a020334398.jpg

8721620334399.jpg

Pchela-1T 3rd person und inside view:

a690d20334404.jpg

f1e7720334396.jpg

Did you ever see that in a Zombie Apocalypse fiction?

There must be a reason why.

Where´s the problem? It´s great if you want to loot a town and want to know what´s going on befor entering.

The question is not whether I saw it in a Zombie Apocalypse fiction, the question is: Does it fit the gameplay?

I think so...

Where´s the problem? It´s great if you want to loot a town and want to know what´s going on befor entering.

No. Binoculars are great for that. This is inappropriate.

The question is not whether I saw it in a Zombie Apocalypse fiction' date=' the question is: Does it fit the gameplay?

I think so...

[/quote']

Well I don't, and I doubt many other people will. What's next, fighter jets that players take off in from the debug planes and carpet bomb other players? That would probably still be more thematic than this suggestion.

The point is

Don't try to make the game easier/more like other games. Try making it more authentic.

The point is:

Drones/ UAVs are becoming one of the most important planes in any modern day army. If you have armed helicopters, why not unarmed UAVs?

And I don´t say you should spawn with them right on the beach. They must be found/ repaired/ fueled/ etc. just like any other vehicle in dayz. Of course their number should be limited to a few. For a group these little things could be really useful.

And maybe you can call in a predator missile strike if you find a transmitter? You'd have to repair and fuel the missiles of course.

I mean, missile strikes are becoming a major part of modern day armies, right? It's so ridiculous that you can't call one in. And what about the nuclear arsenals of the world? Are all the tactical nuclear warheads just sitting there unused? We need ways to drop tactical nukes or this game will never get off the ground; it's just too hard to believe.

And we also need perks and levels and safe zones and quests from NPCs and dinosaurs we can ride and spaceships we can build to escape into space from the zombies.

• Like 1

Do you realize how ridiculous your comparisons (predator missile strike, nuclear bombs, carpet bombing... ) sound?

UAVs are no superweapons, they are/ will be soon part of everyday life. Plus, there are already more than enough civilian UAVs today.

Missile strikes aren't super weapons. They're missile strikes. It says so right in the name.

Techercizer, your comparisons and reasoning are flimsy at best.

Regardless, (this part directed toward hobbicon) I think UAVs could be a cool addition to the game, but you shouldn't get a chase or interior cam. Instead, they should take pictures or video and you have to watch them from the ground while you pilot them, and then when you land them you can look at the pictures it took.

Naah, no way a normal guy could use it on normal conditions, on a zed apocalipse neither.

You know, a toy like this demands a lot of energy, the toy perse and the RC controller.

In other hand, talking about reality, most of the ppl won't know how to fly one of these.

So, you get 2 major problems:

1- The battery/energy it demands to fly;

2- The skill you need to fly them;

Ppl won't "kamikaze" their drones on other players, if it is a rare item. It is just impossible to maintain. Besides, you know that such a toy is huge, where will you put them?? will you fly them while walking? Believe me, tried to make it with a Electric RC Delta Wing, and lost $400!

The skill? How about the skill to operate a gun effectively? Seems like everyone in the game have that. Not to mention thay also know how to use stuff like bandages, blood transfusions and morphine the correct way.

Considering you can put a big barebed wire roll in one slot I think some sort of UAV wouldn't be that hard to fit somehow.

And you can just make them run on batteries, that takes care of the energy problem. I bet there are millions of batteries in Russia just waiting to be used.

Nope; in my opinion it ruins the lonely desolate picture of the zombie apocalypse to have random electronically controlled helicopters flying around. Where would you find batteries, controls, parts to repair it, anything? Plus people already say Night Vision Goggles are overpowered and cheap, imagine having a drone buzzing over people 24/7. Also Parptarf stop complaining, it makes the game fun and playable. You can always go play Dead Island if you want skillsets.

Techercizer' date=' your comparisons and reasoning are flimsy at best

[/quote']

I know. I'm intentionally constructing all of my statements to use logic that mirrors whatever OP has most recently posted. Glad you noticed they didn't hold together very well; it shows even supporters of this idea get that the arguments used to support it don't add up.

The skill? How about the skill to operate a gun effectively? Seems like everyone in the game have that. Not to mention thay also know how to use stuff like bandages' date=' blood transfusions and morphine the correct way.

Considering you can put a big barebed wire roll in one slot I think some sort of UAV wouldn't be that hard to fit somehow.

And you can just make them run on batteries, that takes care of the energy problem. I bet there are millions of batteries in Russia just waiting to be used.

[/quote']

Ok, man... let's start from the batteries.

RC Jet's usually aren't powered exclusively by batteries, I personally don't have much experience with RC Jet, but one thing I can asure is that RC Jet's fuel isn't cheap, is very rare and can only be found at Hobby Shops. In the best case, they are like airplane fuel, wich demands some kind of airport or something to get the fuel, etc.

About the battery, they aren't normal battery, generally they use LiPo(Lithium Polymer) batteries, since it can be recharged and have good performance/life-time.

Taking my biggest plane as base to calc; it is powered by a 12.4v 2250Mhz battery. It's fully powered by this batt., and in about 20 minutes of continuous flight the battery is depleated. So, imagine what would be the energy consume(don't know if those are the words, sorry, noob english) of more robust Servo-controllers, a camera and the entire transmitting system for the video. A lot, do you agree? And where would you find such a battery on a poor country like Chernarus?

This is the problem, ppl will get a useless junk, when the devs must focus on useful items for SUVIVAL. You can say that a RC car with a bipper on it is VERY USEFUL, and it would be, but a not bugged Axe is more important, and coherent.

The skill? How about the skill to operate a gun effectively? Seems like everyone in the game have that. Not to mention thay also know how to use stuff like bandages' date=' blood transfusions and morphine the correct way.

[/quote']

all this knowledge is fairly basic, they give guns to children in Africa...

first field dressing and the morphine injectors on this game are the ones used by military, that have very detailed explanations printed on the packaging. fair shout on the blood transfusions tho.

I think fixed UAV stations would add a great resource for survivors to strive for. And this would be the key to balancing them. Here is how I think it would work;

- UAV can only be controlled from one of the airfields in the game. Most likely based in the air tower or a small trailer on the airfield. The fixed location of these stations would create a tactical hotspot that survivors could work together or fight to control.

- The UAV station and UAV would spawn randomly at one of the 3 airfields on the map. The UAV would require fueling and only one could be spawned at a time. Flight time would be limited so that the operator could not survey the entire map in one or two flights.

- Killing the UAV operator would allow the attacker to take over the station and look at the current video feed from the UAV. Destroying the UAV station would cause the UAV to crash. Destruction could be achieved through RPG or satchel charges. UAV running out of fuel before landing will cause it to crash. Players with rifles would be able to shoot down the UAV in similar fashion to how they take down helicopters.

- If the pilot manages to land the UAV on a road or highway, his team mates should be able to go to the location to refuel it.

- After destruction there should be a cooldown before UAV spawn counter can start again.

Adding an element like this would provide an excellent incentive to team work. While it would be feasable for a solo player to fuel and fly the UAV, the risk would be high due to them being completely helpless while at the pilot seat. Team players that work together could use it for both a survelliance tool as well as a tempting trap for other pvpers. Pilots could manually fly the UAV into an enemy chopper, damaging the chopper heavily. Adding something like this could open up more option for players. They could defend their home turf or seek out enemy camps from the skies. And seeing as the game lets you fly a helicopter, I don't think it is unfeasable that the player could pilot a UAV, they are basically RC planes and easier to fly than a chopper by a long shot.

And finally, it's already in Arma2 so it shouldn't be too hard to add at a technical level.

You wanna use these UAVs go play the base game ARMA 2. Then you can play with them.

All I can say is. If you can fly a helicopter in game. Which I know for a fact that not many people can do in real life. I'm not going to even get in to the Mechanics it takes to just start one, and much less what is takes to fly one. So since anyone can fly those in game, why can't you fly a drone for long range scanning. Now don't take this as I want this in the game. I think Helicopters, Planes, and Parachutes should all be removed. Boats and Land based Vehicles I'm fine with. Oh hey got a Huey w/ M60 machine guns FTW!!!! UGH!!!!!