Vendayn

Will we be able to make our own servers in the standalone?

Right now, there are private hives you can setup...but I spent 12 hours (pretty much all day) trying to get it to work and it was the biggest pain to setup. There is of course servers you can pay for, but those are very expensive and I don't want to deal with a third party at all.

Now, I did manage to make my own private hive ages ago. It took a while to setup, but that was when artifacts were really bad and never did manage to get one working again. It was me, my best friend and his cousins+uncle.

And it was exactly how I thought DayZ was going to be like. A zombie survival game where teamwork was very important. Not a, deathmatch pvp game where you just shoot everyone and zombies can be completely ignored. Hundreds of zombies spawned around us, all the time. It was scary, FAR more scary than the public servers. People aren't scary, they are just damn annoying. And it was the most fun we had in DayZ. In fact, it was most fun we all had in a game.

Our experiences with public servers are:

Hey look! This server is really good and very few play on it. The admins are friendly. Oh...the server magically went away (got turned off).

Hey! This server is pretty good. Oh, but the admin is a hacker. Or there is a bunch of hackers on the server. Then it gets turned off anyway

Hey a hardcore server! But the people are rude

Hey this server is good. But, too many people play it and its not scary anymore.

Most of the time, we get a camp setup and do really good and the server gets turned off. Which is really really lame. The only servers that seem to stay up are popular ones, but those are too boring. We got dayz for zombie survival, we have call of duty and battlefield for pvp.

So with that rant out of the way. Anyone know if we can make our own servers in the standalone without having to go to a third party? Has that been confirmed? All me and my friends want, is our own server where we can play dayz as a zombie game. Not a call of duty game where you kill everyone. We just want to play with us, and our small group of family/friends. When we did that before, it was far more fun and FAR more scary.

Dean said that there will be but not for a little while after release, he didn't specify how long though. My guess is after the alpha goes fully open and their servers get hammered

Yes, you can host your own server, it will be connected to the central hive though. Private hives are still undecided.

"Private servers will be supported. The issue of private hives (central servers) is still an open question. Initially the answer is definitely no, as we need to concentrate the database centrally so we can continue development and change it regularly. There is a wider issue of regulating both the economy of DayZ, in terms of controlling item spawn, and ensuring a balanced approach. I think it comes down to a question of timing, much like with the mod."

"Private Hives still haven't been thought out much. For a start, we're going to issue the architecture to some of the big hosts initially until we can secure it and lock it down more for general release. So initially, you'll either need to connect centrally to the main DayZ hive when running a server or you'll need to connect to one run by a commercial hosts but we still haven't decided this fully yet."

Thanks for the replies. :)

Well, guess a bit early to know for sure then. It does make sense to wait till after alpha though, since things do need to be tested and what not. Hopefully they let you, but maybe the public stuff will be better.

I'm happy reputable providers will be able to host this instead of these one man operations.

For a start, we're going to issue the architecture to some of the big hosts initially until we can secure it and lock it down more for general release.

Isn't that the Dayz Origins style of business ? I really hope you can find another way :(

I'm happy reputable providers will be able to host this instead of these one man operations.

Bigger hosting companies tend to have better prices but i've always found smaller companies offer a better service and support, I'd rather pay more for the service and support :)

Isn't that the Dayz Origins style of business ? I really hope you can find another way :(

Bigger hosting companies tend to have better prices but i've always found smaller companies offer a better service and support, I'd rather pay more for the service and support :)

I'm not sure I follow. Don't GamersPlatoon make you rent an Origins server from them? That's not similar at all.

Again. Private servers will be supported. There is no reason why you can't use a smaller hosting provider or even host the server yourself. They'll all be connected to a central hive though (for now anyway)

Edited by smasht_AU

Is OP referring to running the server off his own PC? Because I know that wasn't allowed back in the public hive days of DayZ. I think we can safely say again that for the SA you won't be allowed to run the server off your gaming PC.

I'm not sure I follow. Don't GamersPlatoon make you rent an Origins server from them? That's not similar at all.

No, GamersPlatoon have partnerd with several providers and you rent from them, basically they say the same thing as you :(

Here is what GP say, Source > http://www.gamersplatoon.com/forums/showthread.php?6964-Origins-Mod-Official-Partners-Announced

Note : Since the mod is in very early stages, we are working around couple of technical issues with server stability and resources . all our partners will be able to offer you the servers as soon as they are ready. our devs and partners are working hard to finalize this.

They are earning fortunes while nobody else can host servers :(

ArmA 3 has allowed public server hosting from day 1 and they are soon planning on using the Steam server files, Why can't Dayz do that seeing how it's the same company making both games ?

Who is stopping you from hosting your own server? Again, private servers will be supported. I don't know how much clearer that can be made or how to explain it any clearer then it already has been in previous posts. The server package is currently about 120mb in size.

The only thing that hasn't been decided yet is in regards to private hives. So initially, you'll either need to connect centrally to the main DayZ hive when running a server or you'll need to connect to one run by a commercial hoster. But that hasn't been decided yet.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

You said only certain hosts will be able to offer Dayz hosting, what about people like myself who rent a private dedicated server ?

You said only certain hosts will be able to offer Dayz hosting, what about people like myself who rent a private dedicated server ?

That's not what it says. Yes, you can host your own server, you just can't host your own hive so will need to connect to a central hive run by the devs or (undecided) one run by a commercial hoster.

Edited by smasht_AU

I hope they will make that possible, just look on everything that has been done on private servers on the mod version! Rocket and his team has done a great job on the mod but alot of the cred should also be given to the community which always seen to suprise me!

More power for the people!

Ah yes, more loadout-giving and hand-holding. Less DayZ.

People aren't scary, they are just damn annoying.

I beg to differ:

Edited by deejay2900